thetourist

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone managed to find/run a bitcrusher type effect on the Axe-fx? I can't find anything approaching that sound on my AX8. Nothing in the manual either.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone managed to find/run a bitcrusher type effect on the Axe-fx? I can't find anything approaching that sound on my AX8. Nothing in the manual either.

Bit reduction in the drive block. It's a good time. Change the sample rate too if you want more gross.

I did this in my FX8 to simulate the dr scientist bitquest we used on the last Sparrows album live.

thetourist

Reaction score
Bit reduction in the drive block. It's a good time. Change the sample rate too if you want more gross.

I did this in my FX8 to simulate the dr scientist bitquest we used on the last Sparrows album live.

Thanks!

Obscurabeast2002

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes. They still sound great and they are still powerful. If you don't need the latest and greatest, it'll do you fine.
I'm going to pick one up today for 900$ , the axefxiii just seems like overkill for bedroom practice.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to pick one up today for 900$ , the axefxiii just seems like overkill for bedroom practice.

Sure but when you want to record or gig, there's no questioning it. Same to be said for the ii if it meets your needs.

I knew i wanted the updates, so I went with the iii. I have not been let down. My friend just sent me his updated EP which is all 2xl - sounds killer. That's largely due to his engineer though :lol:.

Obscurabeast2002

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sure but when you want to record or gig, there's no questioning it. Same to be said for the ii if it meets your needs.

I knew i wanted the updates, so I went with the iii. I have not been let down. My friend just sent me his updated EP which is all 2xl - sounds killer. That's largely due to his engineer though :lol:.
I forgot to mention it's the Mark ii, of the axefx ii. Will I be short upgrades compared to the XL?

lewstherin006

Reaction score
Got the new ML Sound Lab Cab Pack for Destruction and decided to take it for a spin. It goes great with the Silver Jubilee or any of the many Slash Amps in the Axe Fx!

fremen

Reaction score
Improved Virtual capo in firmware 12.08 beta test :

Improved whammy test :

Same performance, without whammy :

Obscurabeast2002

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions on how to get a heavy, jazzy tone like Spawn Of Possession? mainly for rythm guitar on an AXEFX II MK2. Ive tried modding Das Metall fx by turning up the mids and gain, but my palm mutes seem to be off, they sound choppy and muddy af. Im looking for those clean palm mutes, melodic high note tones, and alternate picking clarity Bryssling gets in this album, its so clean yet heavily distorted.

Also im playing with:

• Bare Knuckle Aftermath 7 (H) neck pickup
    • Bare Knuckle Aftermath 7 (H) bridge pickup

Last edited:

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions on how to get a heavy, jazzy tone like Spawn Of Possession? mainly for rythm guitar on an AXEFX II MK2. Ive tried modding Das Metall fx by turning up the mids and gain, but my palm mutes seem to be off, they sound choppy and muddy af. Im looking for those clean palm mutes, melodic high note tones, and alternate picking clarity Bryssling gets in this album, its so clean yet heavily distorted.

Also im playing with:

• Bare Knuckle Aftermath 7 (H) neck pickup
    • Bare Knuckle Aftermath 7 (H) bridge pickup

Do you have a recording of what you're getting? I use the Das Metal amp almost exclusively for all of my metal tones. You shouldn't end up with a muddy sound at all with that amp given the proper EQ settings.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

Your first issue is probably too much gain. There doesn't sound like there's a lot of gain on there. Also don't forget that when you're listening to recorded guitar tone, it's a blend of the kick drum, guitar and bass most of the time (for metal anyway). This sounds more scooped to than mid-heavy. Kind of reminds me of kezia-era Protest The Hero as far as tone goes (and that was JCM900?). I would cut treble at 10k in your amp block and lows at 150hZ. A large part of how clean this sounds is the fact that the player is really good. If you're sloppy at all, it's probably going to sound "off".

Recap:
- lower gain
- not a lot of bass, treble or mids
- low cut at 150hZ
- high cut at 10k
- practice (?)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
FW12.08 and latest axe edit are up. Hella pitch block improvements.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I see there's artists presets now being featured on the Fractal website. Pete Thorn, Devin Townsend, and now Steve Stevens! Fractal is wearing me down.

Latest posts

')