This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
About a year ago the place started looking more like huf.org than ss.org, it seemed like huf was promoting himself everywhere here and no matter where you looked on the site there was another huf image, it was a little annoying but it was only when a certain other builder joined up and also flooded the forum with a separate thread for each guitar he built with a pic or two each and little else that we decided enough was enough.

I like these build threads and its a shame to have to move or merge a few but it needs to be done sometimes. On the other hand when I came across this thread I'm thinking awesome, it's been a while and Brian's last one was cool.

Personally I'd rather see a builder or three and a handful of members spit the dummy and say we are being unfair instead of have a whole lot of members complain and give up searching because every second thread looks like builder spam and it's too hard to find anything else interesting.

This one is turning out pretty cool as well Brian. :yesway:

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Spent a lot of time recently on a bunch of guitars - here's pics for the 8. I'd have the pickup routes already done but my drill press' chuck key was lost in the move to the house. :( I have to pick one up from a specialty machine shop because the size is too big for apparently every other drill press sold locally...

The routed edge is just an index for the carve. It's a lot easier to blend it in with that olgee bit routed around the whole thing.

P1040310.jpg

P1040312.jpg

P1040315.jpg

P1040317.jpg

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Allo!

Got work on a bunch of guitars - pics of the 8 are up too.

Got the neck done up - limba/flamed maple and a curly walnut headstock. I made sure i got the nice quartered walnut portion for it's great figure.

There is a padouk 7 in there as well - it's a prototype and gets all the first time processes done to it first. :)

The 7 stirng piezo wilkinson saddles came in as well. Can't wait to fire those up!

To note - if i'm building you something, your guitar will be at the same stage as my personal ones. I'll be building a personal one in each batch. :)

Zebrawood fretboard - i dig. chu guys think?

P1040302.jpg

P1040304.jpg

P1040307.jpg

P1040318.jpg

P1040320.jpg

And yes, it's a zebrawood desktop. :p

JesseTheMachine

Reaction score
Great looking specs and progress pics man! What will the fretboard be made of, or did I miss that somewhere?

I can't wait to see that curly walnut in a carved top - you're finishing it natural or..?

Edit: or wait... the zebrawood fretboard??

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again for checkin it out guys

jesse - zebrawood fretboard. I've got a 5A birdseye board that i was considering but i wanted to use it in another build. This one *might* just get clearcoated, but I recently tried dying it green and clearcoating it with Darren tonight. Tough call.

You're in Toronto? Dude, pick a time and drop in.

vansinn

Reaction score
About a year ago the place started looking more like huf.org than ss.org, it seemed like huf was promoting himself everywhere here and no matter where you looked on the site there was another huf image, it was a little annoying but it was only when a certain other builder joined up and also flooded the forum with a separate thread for each guitar he built with a pic or two each and little else that we decided enough was enough.

I like these build threads and its a shame to have to move or merge a few but it needs to be done sometimes. On the other hand when I came across this thread I'm thinking awesome, it's been a while and Brian's last one was cool.

Personally I'd rather see a builder or three and a handful of members spit the dummy and say we are being unfair instead of have a whole lot of members complain and give up searching because every second thread looks like builder spam and it's too hard to find anything else interesting.

I fully agree. Being admin on a site (adadepot.com) I also have to move posts, but never hear a bad vipe from doing so. On rare occations (fortunately) I have to spank a Bit. I hate doing this, but..

I noticed Kitten suggested a separate board for pro builds - why not make such and call it.. Pro Builds? -would also make it easier to compare different types of builds, i.e. 6,7,8..+

As to Patrick, I also at some point felt there were too many of his threads.
Don't get me wrong, I totally love Patrick's work and detailed build threads - I've learned so much from those :agreed: but it kinda clouded other posts..
I also feel it's unfair using the expression post whore..
I'm sure Patrick simply can't help posting because he loves axes and woods so deeply.
Patrick, I really hope to see you again soon :wavey:

Ohh.. and this is a beatyful build in progress, Brian :agreed: :metal:

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Allo!

Got work on a bunch of guitars - pics of the 8 are up too.

Got the neck done up - limba/flamed maple and a curly walnut headstock. I made sure i got the nice quartered walnut portion for it's great figure.

There is a padouk 7 in there as well - it's a prototype and gets all the first time processes done to it first. :)

The 7 stirng piezo wilkinson saddles came in as well. Can't wait to fire those up!

To note - if i'm building you something, your guitar will be at the same stage as my personal ones. I'll be building a personal one in each batch. :)

Zebrawood fretboard - i dig. chu guys think?

P1040302.jpg

P1040304.jpg

P1040307.jpg

P1040318.jpg

P1040320.jpg

And yes, it's a zebrawood desktop. :p

That's looking really sweet, man! Can't wait to see this finished.

')