This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Yummy! Really looking very pretty... Can't wait to see more pictures of this beastie in progress.

Erik Hauri

Lumber -> Guitars
Reaction score
Yo Brian
icon_wavey.gif

Looking most excellent!

Fretboard looks pretty high off the deck - are you going with a TOM on this one?

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
hey brian, looking good man!

OT: that list didnt open for me, think you could copy and paste it in an email?

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
and more stuff...

P1040351.jpg

nice tight joint...

P1040352.jpg

P1040354.jpg

P1040356.jpg

P1040365.jpg

P1040360.jpg

Again, thanks for checking it out guys!

As a bonus, here's Doukie. He's the cheap bridge prototype w/ grover tuners and duncans.

P1040367.jpg

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Erik! Great to see you here! I don't really post much on PG much these days. :( I'll probably show up with 8 guitars so I can try to win the damn guitar of the month again.... :metal:

haven't actualy gotten to radiusing the fretboard on the 8 yet, but the bottom of the fretboard is actually only 2mm above the body. :p

Customisbetter - i used their flat snap in rasp and their round shaping file. The flat rasp make cutting the carve top on the maple like doing it to pine. I'll *never* go back to using another file to do the main shaping. My dragon rasps are superior for shaping in the super tight curves.

aaaaaaaand I did more work.

P1040371.jpg

P1040372.jpg

P1040362.jpg

Andrew_B

Reaction score
looks great man, nice work :yesway:

the stain idea is neat, ill have to remember that one lol

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Biran, I'm going to ask a rather dumb question; it looks like you're brushing on the green ink/varnish, is this correct? Is it an issue of air not giving you a proper/even amount over the surface?

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
the polycrylic gives a decent build after a couple of coats (sanded back) and it's been pretty rock hard on scar the dummy body after a few weeks around the shop.

the dye goes on with a cloth or airbrush - i just threw the green dye on there recently to see what it was going to look like. It looked pretty brutal because the top still had a lot of adhesive from the two sided tape still on it. It'll look pretty wicked when the carve is sanded and dyed again.

I'm also trimming down the height that the neck sits at. I've recently found that the end of the fretboard is a little narrow. It'll accomodate the strings, but I'll probably redo the templates for all my necks for more accuracy and updates in my dimensions.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
(this is a personal build, not a customers.)

Hey guys, I've actually got 4 6 strings and none of them are fixed bridge, so i figured I'd make myself a 6 string in the 26 inch scale vein of my 7.

26 inch / 25 fret neck w cocobolo fretboard, 12 up half scalloped
inline 6 reversed headstock
2 nordstrands
all hipshot hardware
limba core w/ 1 piece figured shedua top (RGA carve)
9 piece neck w/ figured shedua headstock splice
1 3 way, 1 vol

Here's where I'm at. I'm currently working on about 10 guitars at the same time now (mostly just building for the hell of it now) and i'm going to get them all to the same point as my rosewood/maple 8 build. Should be a nifty ngd when I finish all of them on the same day.

IMG_4180.jpg

SANY0667.jpg

The fretboard is the 2nd from the right.

SANY0668.jpg

And I have these "top 10" tops from PRS. Bought them off a skid of figured tops that PRS couldn't sell. :)

IMG_4178.jpg

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Yo (yep. another personal build.)

I was shopping at Exotic Woods at their 20,000 sq foot warehouse full of figured/exotic awesomeness and found this stuff; figured mexican katalox. I'd never seen it before and they hadn't in 8 years.

Unfortunately there was a problem at the mill where i get my blocks resawn and they brought it down a little too thin for a carved top. So i'm going to make a crazy thin flat top with this. I think i can get down to 1 1/4 without a problem. I just got a threaded output jack so one of my biggest concerns was already alleviated.

25 fret, 26 inch scale 7 string
figured katalox fretboard
11 piece neck
figured bookmatched katalox top on figured walnut on limba core (yep!)
katalox headstock splice
nordstrands
hipshot hardware
figured birdseye fretboard

SANY0666.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

SANY0665.jpg

SANY0669.jpg

and i've also got this in the works for my brothers bass. Making it for his birthday so i've got until July to get it out the door.

SANY0656-1.jpg

(if you guys think i'm spamming i'll stop! :wavey:)

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
That is BEAUTIFUL wood.

PS Your post is totally not spamming. I'm excited to see how this turns out, and thanks for another build thread! I love these things.

')