Official Daemoness Guitars Thread

• Thread starter Joe Harvatt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Guys, look under his left armpit. Double neck flying W. Now THAT's going to be interesting to see finished.

It's the "Exorcist". Go back one page for a sweet picture! The theme was originally the ten commandments and the reverse ten commandments. Don't know if that's still it, but regardless that is a monolithic build, and a sweet piece of engineering IMO.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
The Pocketwatch Cimmerian is up on the bay again.
Seems to have passed through a lot of hands. I was
in a position yesterday to buy both Daemoness that are
up for sale but opted too send a few deposits to Dylan as I'd
rather fire the business his way.

But his building's improved, the finishing has improved, and that guitar's been away from Dylan far too long too benefit from his setups. Just not an attractive purchase IMO (and screw the scalpers too!)

Thorerges

Reaction score
But his building's improved, the finishing has improved, and that guitar's been away from Dylan far too long too benefit from his setups. Just not an attractive purchase IMO (and screw the scalpers too!)

I thought the same. It is a limited guitar no doubt, but wasn't this built 3 years and has been halfway across the globe by now and has had at least 4 owners?

Additionally, the inlay is cool, but thats about it when it comes to being 'special'. There is another one for about $5000, this is somewhat justifiable considering the guitar has an unbelievable piece of art on it.

Not taking anything away from Dylan, huge fan of the work, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would/should spend that much considering its history.

narad

Reaction score
There is another one for about $5000, this is somewhat justifiable considering the guitar has an unbelievable piece of art on it.

I find it unjustified because Dylan sold it for so much less than that. I even think I saw it change hands before for around $2800.

Not taking anything away from Dylan, huge fan of the work, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would/should spend that much considering its history.

Nah, I think Dylan is the best argument for why not to buy a used Daemoness. He doesn't charge stupid prices and is always improving. And you're paying the person who actually does the work, which is yea...always a good thing.

daemonessaxes

Reaction score
Hello fam - just a quick bit of info. The photo of me in the halloween shirt is from last week. The guitars in the background are not from the next batch - I am currently at the stage of ordering materials and finishing discussing specs with my customers from the next batch, whilst the current batch are being lacquered. The guitars in the background are other things that we are working on. The Cimmerian on the left is actually Adam Getgood's original Cimmerian 7. Adam liked the polyester lacquer on his mango topped Cimmerian baritone so much that he asked if we could strip back and upgrade his original Cimmerian (which was finished in the KTM-9 water based lacquer years ago) to polyester. The Cimmerian with Christ on the cross is a customers order that is waiting to get lacquered. The two black guitars are my demo models that you may have seen before. The green V is my "Hell Wheel" Jackson Rhoads that was actually the first guitar I ever worked on. This guitar now belongs to my apprentice Tom - but he is looking to sell it as he now also has the ability to make guitars and prefers playing his own gear (Did you guys see his Daemoness 7 string Hadian with a goat skull inlay?). More info on that sale soon. The 8 string V is the first Daemoness DOMINVS and is for Joel Dubay of the 80's thrash/speed metal veterans POWERMAD.

Thorerges

Reaction score
I find it unjustified because Dylan sold it for so much less than that. I even think I saw it change hands before for around $2800.

With respect to his business, Dylan has a very unique philosophy - most luthiers and indeed most businesses would try to get the most out of their product. This is a very unique model, i'll admit to that.

Nah, I think Dylan is the best argument for why not to buy a used Daemoness. He doesn't charge stupid prices and is always improving. And you're paying the person who actually does the work, which is yea...always a good thing.

Yes, I am definitely going by route of Daemoness. How is yours doing by the way putting in another order?

Thorerges

Reaction score
Hello fam - just a quick bit of info. The photo of me in the halloween shirt is from last week. The guitars in the background are not from the next batch - I am currently at the stage of ordering materials and finishing discussing specs with my customers from the next batch, whilst the current batch are being lacquered. The guitars in the background are other things that we are working on. The Cimmerian on the left is actually Adam Getgood's original Cimmerian 7. Adam liked the polyester lacquer on his mango topped Cimmerian baritone so much that he asked if we could strip back and upgrade his original Cimmerian (which was finished in the KTM-9 water based lacquer years ago) to polyester. The Cimmerian with Christ on the cross is a customers order that is waiting to get lacquered. The two black guitars are my demo models that you may have seen before. The green V is my "Hell Wheel" Jackson Rhoads that was actually the first guitar I ever worked on. This guitar now belongs to my apprentice Tom - but he is looking to sell it as he now also has the ability to make guitars and prefers playing his own gear (Did you guys see his Daemoness 7 string Hadian with a goat skull inlay?). More info on that sale soon. The 8 string V is the first Daemoness DOMINVS and is for Joel Dubay of the 80's thrash/speed metal veterans POWERMAD.

Always great to hear updates from you Dylan!

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I thought the same. It is a limited guitar no doubt, but wasn't this built 3 years and has been halfway across the globe by now and has had at least 4 owners?

Additionally, the inlay is cool, but thats about it when it comes to being 'special'. There is another one for about $5000, this is somewhat justifiable considering the guitar has an unbelievable piece of art on it.

Believe it or not I owned both the "exploding pocket watch" and the "Crypt" a couple of years ago, and now both of them are on ebay! If I could afford it Id snag both of them right now. I was the 3rd owner of the pocket watch and the first owner outside Europe. I sold it to fund the Crypt purchase. It was the finest guitar Ive ever played for string skipping stuff and general ease of play. It must be the shape of the neck. The inlay is mind blowing too. The Crypt had a tone to it unlike anything Ive ever heard. It had this attack and authority to it that blew me away. Not owning that piece of art will probably bite me in the future. Its true that its probably one of the most impressive guitars of all of them that was 100% made by Dylan before he started using help in the shop to the degree that he does now. There may become a day when his shop and business expands into something so big that the only stuff he will be doing is inlay work and graphic art. If this day ever comes then surely both of those guitars as well as all of the ones being made right now will go up in value. People will want to buy them.

narad

Reaction score
There may become a day when his shop and business expands into something so big that the only stuff he will be doing is inlay work and graphic art. If this day ever comes then surely both of those guitars as well as all of the ones being made right now will go up in value. People will want to buy them.

Play your guitars. Invest in stocks and real estate.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score

Agreed :agreed:

Guitars should be played. Nobody should buy those to just sit in a closet waiting to go up in value. Someone should buy em because they are amazing guitars without having to wait 3-4 years. There does seem to be WAY too much interest these days in what a guitars resale value will be in a few months. So many people on here are afraid to buy a guitar because they dont want to lose a few hundred bucks should they decide to sell it down the line. Avoiding a guitar that you want to buy to PLAY because your concerned with its resale value is really stupid IMHO. Enjoy your life right now, treat yourself to something nice before you grow old. Buy it to play it and own it, then sell it if that time comes and know that you enjoyed the experience of owning and playing the thing. Stuff holds value in the short term because of hype and in the long term because of quality and/or rarity or because a small builder expanded their shop exponentially. Thankfully Daemoness guitars dont really lose value at all, just like Strandberg Guitars. Stuff like Carvin or Ibanez lose value. But as I mentioned, dont stay away from stuff because its gonna lose value. You would just be denying yourself the experience of owning a guitar that you want to own.

Thorerges

Reaction score

Not to belittle your point but had I cashed in on a black machine just a few years ago I would have made more money than most of the stocks i have invested in.

narad

Reaction score
Not to belittle your point but had I cashed in on a black machine just a few years ago I would have made more money than most of the stocks i have invested in.

If you pick your investments in hindsight you'll always come out on top. I've still made more investing in Facebook than on any guitar, including blackmachine. In fact, I'm probably out a custom guitar or two just in lost resale.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Yeah I can't say I've ever "invested" in an instrument. I just wanted to play and own stuff. I'd still love to grab that Crypt VII, even for what the asking price. I just want it, not that it has X-amount of value for any reason. If I chose to sell anything like that, it would be for the GAS to get something else (such as in the case of the Atlantian to get a Cimmerian). For me it's 100% material value. It does piss me off a little when I see shit gouged at some prices, but that's just the way it is. For the same money, like some of you guys here, I'd rather throw down deposits on original guitars from the man himself. Well, there are a couple KxKs I keep eyeballing... :lol:

I invest in energy, ammunition (brass and a good bullet press), and innovation. I buy guitars because I'm a whore for this shit, what can I say?

Thorerges

Reaction score
If you pick your investments in hindsight you'll always come out on top. I've still made more investing in Facebook than on any guitar, including blackmachine. In fact, I'm probably out a custom guitar or two just in lost resale.

Not sure what you mean by "in hindsight", but it's very difficult. Very few stocks are like facebook, the price per share went up five fold. If you have such a success rate thats great for you, but few people actually make a net profit from trading stocks.

Anyway, this is besides the point. I completely understand why someone would sell a Daemoness guitar for a value greater than what Dylan does, they're just very marketable. I was just perplexed about the price on the clock inlay Cimmerian, which has been around the world multiple times and is 3 years old at this point.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
By hindsight he means looking back at what you could or should have bought will always make you look like a genius/idiot because you will ignore all of the investments that didn't do anything significant. Like, "man, I was thinking of buying Apple 20 years ago! I knew they would have made me a millionaire!"

Same thing applies to guitars, though. No guarantee a new luthier's instruments will have value 5 years from now.

And I will also agree that while I love some of the Daemonesses that come up for sale, I'd feel a little odd playing an inflated price for someone else's ideal guitar. It would be like buying a custom suit made for someone else, but paying more than a custom suit would cost for myself. The ability to get the instrument immediately is the one and only advantage of buying used. For me, it's just not significant enough of an advantage to pay 50 percent more than the new custom price.

That being said, if I were getting a custom from Dylan there a high likelihood it would be an exact duplicate of the Crypt. :lol:

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
What are your opinions on this Daemoness headstock?

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2181.jpg

Either going for this or his reverse headstock, very hard to decide

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
What are your opinions on this Daemoness headstock?

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2181.jpg

Either going for this or his reverse headstock, very hard to decide

LOVE it!!! That shape will almost certainly be going on one of my upcoming
builds.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
Love it as well! Logo looks great like that!

')