Official Daemoness Guitars Thread

• Thread starter Joe Harvatt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have never seen a Daemoness in person, and all of the pictures make it seem enormous. If I knew now that my Blackwater build was gonna be close to a two year wait, I would of put in a deposit with Dylan. Oh welll. :wallbash:

Well you can rest assured in knowing that a Daemoness wait will be 3 years, not 2, so you will prob get your Blackwater a year sooner than you would a Daemoness. Did you not know it would be a 2 year wait for a Blackwater? Were you told different or you just didnt think about it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
My deposit was put in June of 2013 when he was quoting around 9 months.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
My deposit was put in June of 2012 when he was quoting around 9 months.

And you still havent gotten the Blackwater yet? If you had placed your deposit in June '12 for a Daemoness you would probably be in the current batch being started. I placed deposit in Nov '12 and Im in the next batch or the one after that

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Well you can rest assured in knowing that a Daemoness wait will be 3 years, not 2,

Really? You've said this repeatedly, but I haven't heard Dylan quote 36 months on a build yet, and both mine wound up being very reasonable, even with respect to the given estimates. I know it's common in small luthier world to over-promise, but it is actually possible to deliver before the estimates as well!

I'll add that in the Cimmerian vs. RG topic, I feel like the Cimmerian feels significantly larger, even if you don't see the difference profile to profile. It's heavier, the neck is way bigger - when I go from one to the other the RG feels downright petite. I am comparing 7-string Cimmerian to 6-string RG, but I don't think that's the key difference - mostly body thickness and weight (though both are the same woods).

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Really? You've said this repeatedly, but I haven't heard Dylan quote 36 months on a build yet, and both mine wound up being very reasonable, even with respect to the given estimates. I know it's common in small luthier world to over-promise, but it is actually possible to deliver before the estimates as well!

Its all good though! Im totally OK with waiting. Ive said it before and I do mean it that Dylan does good work and he can take his time on my builds.

I inquired as early as April '12 when he told me it would be a 14-18 month wait. But I didnt place my deposit until the end of '12 so I dont know what he was quoting around the time that I had placed my deposit.

If Im in the next batch then its possible that my build will start at around month 28-30 since Im now at month 25. Then maybe it will be done at month 33-34. If Im two batches away then it could creep up into the 36+ month range. Im estimating a 3 year wait for people who have placed deposits from Jan '13 onward.

hiltz171jim

Reaction score
To give people an idea at the wait time (at least what I waited), I put my deposit down in June of 2012 when the quoted time was 14-18 months. I am now in the current batch, so what is that, around a 27-28 month wait going by when I received the e-mail saying "I am starting your build." I had no problem waiting this long, but some people might. I'm not upset either with being quote "the wrong amount of time." I know it will be way, way more than worth the wait. I could have gotten a Mayones, a couple more Carvins, or whatever else for about the same price in less than half the amount of time, but I wanted a basically full custom guitar with elite craftsmanship and attention to detail, and most importantly art. So yeah, that's why I feel it was worth the wait for me for a Daemoness.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Luthier build time estimates are like the "Hadji Spray and Pray" with an AK, PKM, etc. Or an RPG. In all cases they point in a general direction and the rounds fall close, sometimes dead on, usually not so much. It's not laser guided precision munitions, like a JDAM... which still can have issues like being a dud from a primer fail, or a fin not deploying, and 2000lb of GBU landing 800 meters off target. Bad day, regardless. Dylan has certainly fired with trustworthy accuracy instead of laser precision promises, landing comfortably within range, like bracketing artillery. Occasionally things f*ck up or there is counter battery (i.e. some random problem with the builds, finish, hardware, etc.), but he adapts and overcomes with proper MDMP and analysis, multiple COAs, and a decision point.

When I drink I start speaking/writing in military vernacular, or some mix of pseudo tactical gibberish. Sorry.... For you. For not having a drink as I'm typing this!

BLUF: In this thread, everything is pretty much par for the course regarding wait times. The list has grown shifting things to the right a bit, but that is consistent with minimally manned, small operations instead of larger manufacturers. And the wait isn't the worst by far, the process is extremely enjoyable, and the artistic mastery & philosophy are one of a kind.

On the Cimmerian size again I agree the neck is bigger, wider than an RG & JP, and I'm comparing 7 string models. However we have yet to experience the Shredator profile (soon), and Dylan will make a custom profile for you if desired.

daemonessaxes

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

Just a little bit of info regarding the points people are discussing above. I explain as best I can in the time it takes me to drink a coffee before getting back to work on these axes.

Cimmerian size : The standard Cimmerian Vi's and VII's are pretty much the same size as their equivalent Ibanez RG six and seven strings. I will go downtown sometime soon and visit my friend who owns a music shop - draw around an RG or two and then superimpose some Cimmerian silhouettes over them, and take some photos.

Daemoness neck carves: It seems funny here to read the Daemoness neck carve as being a defined object, because the truth is that I am a custom luthier and I will carve any neck profile or fingerboard dimensions that my customers ask of me. This is the surely one of the greatest things about getting a custom guitar made.

My standard six string necks are the classic Floyd Rose locking nut width of 43mm at the nut, the same as most Jackson and Ibanez guitars. They are 58mm at the 24th fret, compared to I think 57.5mm on a standard RG. The neck thicknesses at the first, sixth and twelfth frets are standardised at 19mm, 20mm and 21mm, but I do more chunky vintage, or ultra slim carves when asked. This is the same thickness as most shredder guitars to come out of the States and Japan in the last 20 years.

The seven string guitars have a nut of 50mm to 68mm at the 24th fret. A lot of factory 7 strings have 48mm nuts. The thinking behind this is as follows

When Ibanez made the first commercial available seven string guitars, they did everything they could to make sure that six string players could relate to them. The made the new seven string nuts 48mm and really bunched everything together. If you compare the spacing on the strings E,A,D,G,B,E (i.e. forget the low B that makes it a seven), they are comparable to the spacing on a Schaller floyd Rose R2 nut. These R2 nuts are really narrow, about 40.8mm wide in total. And they're just too narrow. They used to come as standard with the Schaller Floyd Rose unit, and every time you would have to remember to directly inform the distributor to swap it for a 43mm R3 nut, and if you forgot you would have to buy an extra nut. I have about 8 of these R2's in a box somewhere and they will never be used.

So here is the thinking: R2 nuts are too narrow and no one really likes or plays them, so why base the standard 7 string nut width on them, at 48mm? The overwhelming message I've got from other metal guitarists is that they like the 43mm R3 nuts. Some of you may not know this but before I went to full time guitar making 6 years ago, I still did setups as well, and have worked on probably close to a thousand instruments in my time. So thats what I base my 7 string nut width on. Which gives 50mm. I don't need to keep my width to the absolute smallest possible dimension to make sure 6 string players can relate to them. That experiments been done in the early nineties. 6 string players could relate to them. Thats why their ordering them now.

I don't know how to upload photos to a thread but I will post a photo or two to Joe to illustrate my thinking (if you could post it below that would be great Joe).

Waiting times: I have never quoted 36 months. At the moment I am saying 26 months to people who are enquiring. In the nature of what I do, there is no real precise way of predicting how long things will take, there are just too many variables. But I try to be as accurate as I can and am constantly striving to lower waiting times. But it seems that whenever I do complete a lot of work and the list gets smaller, along come more guys who want their dream guitar forged at Daemoness. There is simply no way around the fact that the guitars are of exceptional quality and vision, and are in demand. With this there will always be a queue, and a wait. But as a lot of you know, I work 7 days a week at this job, and you can come to Bristol, and walk off the street and into the workshop to see me work and discuss a build - weekday or weekend. I give my maximum effort because I want to get as many amazing guitars out there into the scene as I can in my life.

The waiting time is a test, and its something I constantly battle with and try to diminish. But short of getting a magic wand, its just a reality. But I'm going to have my most productive year ever next year, if all goes according to plan. There will be A LOT of guitars going out to people.

Coffee's colder than a greyhound's nose now.

Overtone

Reaction score
I was gonna say, that must be one big ass cup of joe...

Icarusnic

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm Nic! I'm the second guy with one of the Jotun's of the actual batch ! :)

Here are some more pics of my neck wood.

Tell me if you guys are interested in the specs!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 36
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 38

Icarusnic

Reaction score
Haha hey neighbour!:D

Specs are:

- 8 string with a high A
- 26.6 " to 25"

- Mahagony body

- Flamed Maple Top

- Flamed Maple Back

- Birdseye maple fretboard

- Neck: Birdseye Maple, eboney strips
- Set Neck - 24 frets
- 18"' fretboard radius

- Neck Profile: Slim C shaped neck,

- Arched top

Color/ Binding:
- Trans White - Back of Body also trans white

- white neck/headstock binding

Hardware:
- Chrome Hardware
- Häussel Custom Pickups

- Stainless Steel FW57110

- Tuners: Hipshot Tuners

- Graphite nut

- ABM Bridge, brushed chrome

- 3 way toggle

- 1 Volume Poti

- Schaller Strap Locks

- ErnieBall Strings 8, 9-46, 66; One whole step down

Inlays:
- Illuminated Inlays (blue)in the fretboard

- Black Mother of Pearl side dots

- Headstocklogo: PHANTOM/Daemoness headstock logo in chrome

This are my pickups!

Attachments

• 10014823_765372086860779_143433827385243197_o.jpg
    10014823_765372086860779_143433827385243197_o.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 10702240_765376176860370_8134332618503606401_n.jpg
    10702240_765376176860370_8134332618503606401_n.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 41

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Yes, sounds a lot like my build! I bet the Haeussels will be amazing!

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
My standard six string necks are the classic Floyd Rose locking nut width of 43mm at the nut, the same as most Jackson and Ibanez guitars. They are 58mm at the 24th fret, compared to I think 57.5mm on a standard RG. The neck thicknesses at the first, sixth and twelfth frets are standardised at 19mm, 20mm and 21mm, but I do more chunky vintage, or ultra slim carves when asked. This is the same thickness as most shredder guitars to come out of the States and Japan in the last 20 years.

The seven string guitars have a nut of 50mm to 68mm at the 24th fret. A lot of factory 7 strings have 48mm nuts. The thinking behind this is as follows

When Ibanez made the first commercial available seven string guitars, they did everything they could to make sure that six string players could relate to them. The made the new seven string nuts 48mm and really bunched everything together. If you compare the spacing on the strings E,A,D,G,B,E (i.e. forget the low B that makes it a seven), they are comparable to the spacing on a Schaller floyd Rose R2 nut. These R2 nuts are really narrow, about 40.8mm wide in total. And they're just too narrow. They used to come as standard with the Schaller Floyd Rose unit, and every time you would have to remember to directly inform the distributor to swap it for a 43mm R3 nut, and if you forgot you would have to buy an extra nut. I have about 8 of these R2's in a box somewhere and they will never be used.

So here is the thinking: R2 nuts are too narrow and no one really likes or plays them, so why base the standard 7 string nut width on them, at 48mm? The overwhelming message I've got from other metal guitarists is that they like the 43mm R3 nuts. Some of you may not know this but before I went to full time guitar making 6 years ago, I still did setups as well, and have worked on probably close to a thousand instruments in my time. So thats what I base my 7 string nut width on. Which gives 50mm. I don't need to keep my width to the absolute smallest possible dimension to make sure 6 string players can relate to them. That experiments been done in the early nineties. 6 string players could relate to them. Thats why their ordering them now.

I don't know how to upload photos to a thread but I will post a photo or two to Joe to illustrate my thinking (if you could post it below that would be great Joe).

Cheers!

Icarusnic

Reaction score
Nice! That finish is going to be awesome!

So any neck inlays or body art?

Yes, I think so, too! :)

No artwork on my guitar. I love Dylan's art and capabilty for crazy and stunning inlays, but as he said in an interview "Nature is the greatest artist".

When it comes to guitars I'm also a guy who loves a clean looking finish without any crazy stuff on it. But I love to watch guitars which have amazing inlay work on them :flame:

Icarusnic

Reaction score
Yes, sounds a lot like my build! I bet the Haeussels will be amazing!

Yeah the Häussels are a custom set of a hotter and modded version of the Tozz B Fat XL and the Vin + N pickups.
They are installed in two Blackmachines 8strings I played, and they were just outstanding sounding.:bowdown:So stoked for it!

')