Official Guitar Logistics build thread.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Now that I have a fretboard lets try and cut this pile up without wasting anything. It usually takes me a little while to get this part done. I try to not waste a single piece. The scrap from this build was a 2"x6" block. But I will use it to make control cavity covers… so it is not really scrap at all.

With the new saw I get a top and a nice veneer for headstocks and such out of a 4/4 board. Nice to not waste anything.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
I am still torn about cleaning up glue… I know titebond doesn't really shrink but old habits die hard.

With the body blank glued up time to get going on the neck blank. The CNC machine is turning out templates in the background… it is like there are 2 of us working.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
I forgot how painful it is to work with Wenge. The splinters get infected so easily and it is a very splintery wood. By Sunday my hands were sore from handling it.
Ok you guys sit and think about what you did.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Favorite scale length for 8 String multiscale?

25.5 - 27.5"
or
26" - 28"
or
27.5" - 30"

You can only pick one.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I'd do 26-28. I like 27-30 for 9 strings. But I always tune in standard, so I don't need the extra length.

So make what you like, but if its 26-28 I'll buy it, 27.5-30 Jeph will. :lol:

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
What is this wood called?

IMG_20130421_144546_zpsff32bc60.jpg

RestorationAD

Reaction score
I'll buy 24.5 - 27 :squint:

Although, 26-28 sounds good.

I hope your kidding about 24.5" I don't build toy guitars.

I'd do 26-28. I like 27-30 for 9 strings. But I always tune in standard, so I don't need the extra length.

So make what you like, but if its 26-28 I'll buy it, 27.5-30 Jeph will. :lol:

I'd go with 27.5-30" but I'm guessing most people would prefer 26-28".

I have decided the new 8 string will only be available in multiscale.

I think listening to you guys and reading a lot of posts it will be advantageous to have a standard and an extended version.

So I am leaning towards a 26-28 for the standard and a 27.5-30" for the extended. The alternative is a 25.5-27.5 for the Standard.

I think the 26" scale is slinky enough to feel normal tension wise but the 28"+ is a must for the low strings. The new 7 string multiscales I am building are killer with the 25.5 - 27" but I think the 8 could use a bit more range.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
What is this wood called?

IMG_20130421_144546_zpsff32bc60.jpg

Zebrawood. Or Zebrano in the rest of the civilized world. It makes for a really nice dark tone when paired with Sapele. A favorite of mine. I don't get a lot of requests for it because everyone wants their flamed/quilted/spalted/burl maple tops... I prefer the tone of Zebrawood instead.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Nope, not kidding at all. I also prefer 21-22 fret guitars :shrug:

Just preference :)

Preferences are cool.

I like a 21-22 fret if I am running single coils. Love the tone of a neck single coil when they are about where the 24th fret is.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
That zebrano is sick.. I imagine it'd stain up well!

With a little orange and yellow added even a bad piece can look nice. The dark grain fill helps as well.

P7030778.jpg

The piece above has strong lines and will look great with just oil...
Probably more like this

P7030785.jpg

celticelk

Reaction score
I prefer 25.5-27.5". I used to own a 27.75" Epi Les Paul Baritone, and found it just long enough to be uncomfortable. My 27" single-scale 8 feels pretty good in my hands though.

And as someone who likes Gibson-scale instruments: toy guitars, indeed! *scowlyface*

RestorationAD

Reaction score
I prefer 25.5-27.5". I used to own a 27.75" Epi Les Paul Baritone, and found it just long enough to be uncomfortable. My 27" single-scale 8 feels pretty good in my hands though.

Good to know. I think everyone has a different take on scale lengths.

Personally I don't really like my single sale 27.5" 8 I built... it is a little uncomfortable on the higher strings. Which is why I think the only way to go with a new ERG is Multiscale.

And as someone who likes Gibson-scale instruments: toy guitars, indeed! *scowlyface*

I am just kidding on the short scale length thing. Need to make sure you guys are paying attention. Check out my blog. I build 24.75" guitars. Over the years I built Gibson replicas for myself including an SG, and a V. Heck I have built both my old D5 and V7 models in 24.75".

I love Gibson. I use Gibson like techniques in my builds. I am just not a big fan of the shorter scales for my personal guitars. Color me a Super Strat type of guy.

24.5" is widely considered a Parlor scale hence my joke.

Vintage Gibson guitars are usually anywhere from 24.562 to 24.625 and I think the LP has been 24.562" for a long while. But don't ask a Gibson guy because it is a heated debate on Gibson scale lengths and calculation methods. So to avoid being flamed I will say they are shorter scale than a Fender Strat. :lol:

If and when I get around to building my Lester replica it will be 24.75"...

Back to serious scale length talk...

The nice thing about an 8 string is that the neck is wide enough to do a 2.5" scale difference without hurting the overall guitar. However I think 2" scale difference is plenty in standard tuning. What I want to avoid is angling the bridge too much as it makes palm muting awkward/uncomfortable and building pickups very difficult.

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
personally I like the 28" scale on the non fanned 8's. You can down tune or play standard and I think anything over 2.5"-2.75" fan on an 8 is a little difficult to grab as easily.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
personally I like the 28" scale on the non fanned 8's. You can down tune or play standard and I think anything over 2.5"-2.75" fan on an 8 is a little difficult to grab as easily.

Right. Large differences in the scales is bad. You can go too far and destroy any ergonomic advantage you gain from Multiscale. One issue is where to put the perpendicular fret. I usually try for around the 7th to 8th fret. This will keep your nut/bridge angles in check while providing some nice familiarity in the 5th to 9th fret range (the Iron Maiden chords!). As you move into the higher registers I think the emphasis is on the high strings and the angle is less noticeable. On the lower register it is important to not get too much slant in the frets or you destroy the muscle memory we have all built up over the years of playing standard scale guitars.

The issue I am trying to solve by using multiple scales is really string tension. I always try to build ergonomically conscious guitars and I like the ergonomic change with the multiscale. It solves the comfort issue created by increasing the scale length for the lower strings.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I love the woods you use for your builds. Not super exotic, but not standard. Very cool. :yesway:

')