Official Guitar Logistics build thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jexey

Reaction score
That burl is unbelievable and really compliments the carve in the top. Im like 12 year old excited here to see it with hardware.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Finishing is boring...

So most of the guitars I am working on are in the finishing stages and frankly there isn't much to see. The wenge needs elbow grease to look right.

Jexey

Reaction score
1. That wenge looks alien, unreal.
2. The bass guitar is a weapon
3. Can you outline the finishing process for the Burl? I know you're taking an interesting route with that one

RestorationAD

Reaction score

Don't get too excited. It is going to be slightly darker than that. I would leave it unfinished if it were mine. But some dudes are rough on guitars and those dudes need a finish on them. :shred: Plus it will make it easier to remove Joel's blood

RestorationAD

Reaction score
1. That wenge looks alien, unreal.
2. The bass guitar is a weapon
3. Can you outline the finishing process for the Burl? I know you're taking an interesting route with that one

1. Yes.
2. A very large weapon
3. I have no clue I am just winging it...

RestorationAD

Reaction score
The burl guitar is a little different than a normal finish.

First I am hardening the top with System Three Mirror Finish Epoxy rather than a more traditional application of CA. CA on burl is risky. Sometimes it looks great. Sometimes it gets too hot as it cures and goes grey and leaves white film everywhere.

So far so good. The top looks like a burl top shot with nitro but is hard as a rock.

Next steps are to sand it up to the higher grits and buff it. Then I will see where it is. If it looks like a million dollars I leave it. If not we might shoot a few thin coats of nitro on top and buff it.

The back has to be taped off during this process as I still plan to use an oil finish on the back and neck.

Sunday I taped the top off and grain filled the Sapele. Next step for the back is to oil it once the top is ready.

Doing the top with epoxy first keeps the oil out of the burl. Even though I use a teak oil that has a higher varnish content it is still not a hard film finish.

I still might spray the back with a few light coats of nitro as well. I just need to see how it all comes together.

Oil has to cure fully before I can shoot lacquer over it and that would mean a pretty long delay before finishing.

Again... playing by ear a bit here.

Alcoholocaust

Reaction score
Don't get too excited. It is going to be slightly darker than that. I would leave it unfinished if it were mine. But some dudes are rough on guitars and those dudes need a finish on them. :shred: Plus it will make it easier to remove Joel's blood

Haha, very true :hbang:

musikizlife

TCM Softhands
Reaction score
Didn't even realize until now that you'r doing another Burl/sapele/maple/bloodwood guitar.
Looks absolutely incredible.
I want another one really really badly

Jexey

Reaction score
musikizlifes guitar is sick. Im so excited to see more progress on these these builds. I did notice that the carve is a little more dramatic on these ones. (Sharper lines.) Is that just me??

RestorationAD

Reaction score
musikizlifes guitar is sick. Im so excited to see more progress on these these builds. I did notice that the carve is a little more dramatic on these ones. (Sharper lines.) Is that just me??

Carves are still done by hand so they are never the same guitar to guitar.

I just try and feel out what it should do and feel like.

John's guitar (Banshee) was really light so I didn't carve the top as deep.

This burl guitar has a nice piece of bloodwood under the top making it a bit thicker and adding a little weight. I felt better getting into the carve harder on this one and still maintaining the balance.

Jexey

Reaction score
Carves are still done by hand so they are never the same guitar to guitar.

I just try and feel out what it should do and feel like.

John's guitar (Banshee) was really light so I didn't carve the top as deep.

This burl guitar has a nice piece of bloodwood under the top making it a bit thicker and adding a little weight. I felt better getting into the carve harder on this one and still maintaining the balance.

Check. Im a fan of the sharp lines, without a doubt.

Does it come with a TShirt? I dont want it if it doesnt. Maybe some spankys with your name on them??

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Check. Im a fan of the sharp lines, without a doubt.

Does it come with a TShirt? I dont want it if it doesnt. Maybe some spankys with your name on them??

You ask a lot of questions for a guy without a guitar.

Of course it comes with a T-shirt. Why the F#%K would anyone spend thousands on a custom guitar and not get a T-shirt?

As for the spankys... I would send you a set but you might send me pictures of yourself wearing them. Then I would have to personally REPO your guitar, trash can fire it and youtube the resulting video. \m/

Hehehe spankys... there is a girlfriend/sister/mom joke there somewhere :lol:

Ok lets be serious. Enough silliness.

And now for something completely different.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Multiscale 6 string basses need custom pickups. No angling off the shelf pups here. I present the Diablo S6 P-bass and the Diablo S6 Humbucker.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
After the first coat of oil it looks a little different. The browns are now closer in color. Protection is the key though as this thing has to go on the road and hold up. It will get 2 more coats of Behlens then I will move on to a rub finish to seal the whole thing up tight.

Jexey

Reaction score
You ask a lot of questions for a guy without a guitar.

Of course it comes with a T-shirt. Why the F#%K would anyone spend thousands on a custom guitar and not get a T-shirt?

As for the spankys... I would send you a set but you might send me pictures of yourself wearing them. Then I would have to personally REPO your guitar, trash can fire it and youtube the resulting video. \m/

Hehehe spankys... there is a girlfriend/sister/mom joke there somewhere :lol:

Ok lets be serious. Enough silliness.

And now for something completely different.

Yeah I was going to do my NGD thread rocking GL spankys with the tshirt wrapped around my head.

I'll hold off on the mom jokes here.

How is that burl so good looking? I'm not worthy.

Latest posts

')