Official Guitar Logistics build thread.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Yeah I was going to do my NGD thread rocking GL spankys with the tshirt wrapped around my head.

Don't.

How is that burl so good looking? I'm not worthy.

I am pretty sure it has to do with the water, spilled beer and bear piss in the forests of Canada.

You asked for burl. I told you I had a piece that would work. Letting me do my thing worked out for you! Thanks for letting me do what I do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jexey

Reaction score
Don't.

I am pretty sure it has to do with the water, spilled beer and bear piss in the forests of Canada.

You asked for burl. I told you I had a piece that would work. Letting me do my thing worked out for you! Thanks for letting me do what I do.

Canada:
polar_bear_shit1.jpg

Moving on....

Artists spend years developing technique and a lifetime developing their style. That being said, you don't hire an artist and tell them to change their style.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
I want to make this very plain. Do not ask a line cook to make your wedding cake. Do not ask a Chevy guy to rebuild your Ford motor. Do not ask a luthier who specializes in Fender relics to build a Gibson LP.

If you want to order a guitar from a luthier do some research. I blog all my builds, there is over 4 years of information on the type of guitars I build on that blog. I have build threads on Project Guitar, Sevenstring.org, and TDPRI you can look through. All luthiers worth their salt have a style and usually have some standards they use.

The things you should know about me as a Luthier.

No silly wood combinations. Just because they are exotic does not mean they should be mixed together.

No Binding of any sort.

No inlays.

No outside vendor pickups. I design and build custom pickups why would you ask me to use someone elses?

No gold hardware. EVER.

No replicas of production guitars.

The S9 is a very thin ergonomic guitar I have spent years developing. If your prefered bridge needs more than 30mm depth to install I can't do it. This means no Floyd Rose.

I am a minimalist.

I hate complicated electronics.

I have been at this since I was 13.

I have a great day job and build guitars because I like to, not for the money, not for the fame, not for the power, just no more games... hmmm went all Megadeth for a second there. \m/

Know your luthier!

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Bandsaw vs Finger : Bandsaw 1 FInger 0

The lesson here is do not turn the bandsaw on until you have everything ready and in place. Reaching for things on the bandsaw table while it is running is bad.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Appreciate the sentiment.

It is going to be fine... it just nicked it. You need a scare every once in a while to make you concentrate on safety first.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank the Gods it wasn't a table saw otherwise you might not have kept the finger. :ugh:

Also, the no gold hardware thing made me laugh. :lol: Any reason you're against doing binding? Is it just too much of a hassle?

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Damn, that looks like it could have been way worse; glad you got out almost unscathed.

Also, be glad you don't work for a large company....would have been a giant root cause analysis as to how and why it happened in addition to prevention classes. :lol:

Also Also: I cannot and will not ever get over how clean those recessed areas around the tuning machine through-holes look. That's a very nice (and as far as I know somewhat unique) touch on your already awesome design!

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
That actually really surprises me that your totally against binding/inlays , but whatever tickles your pickle amirite? Also Beautiful guitars man.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Thank the Gods it wasn't a table saw otherwise you might not have kept the finger. :ugh:

Also, the no gold hardware thing made me laugh. :lol: Any reason you're against doing binding? Is it just too much of a hassle?

That is why I don't own a table saw.

Gold hardware is not my thing. Back in the old days it always corroded and looked nasty after a few years. I think modern gold plating is better now but I still dislike it.

Binding hinders the radius I can put on the edge of the guitar making the edge uncomfortable and it bites into your arm. And when you cut an arm rest all the way through the binding it looks stupid.

Large inlays cause bright spots on the neck changing the tone on certain notes. Inconsistent tone is not fun.

Binding and Inlays come loose or fall out or need repair sometimes. If you are on the road that would suck. Don't bring up quality of installation either as I have had to repair binding and inlays on some very very fine quality instruments.

Finger is feeling better today. Thanks for the kind words!

Cheers!

Know your Luthier.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Moving to finishing stages so this is probably the last update for a few weeks.

Pickups fit and are ready for winding.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Forgot about this one. I looked on the shelf and found it. Guess it needs a finish as well. Ever misplace a guitar?

Latest posts

')