Official Hip-Hop/Rap Thread

• Thread starter ESP_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hip hop rap
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
Long Arm makes some amazing instrumental trip/hip hop stuff. His album, "The Branches" is one of my all-time tops.

Here's a track he did with Teknical Development.

The rest of these are instrumental. Really amazing, chilled-out jazz-inspired stuff.

This thread also needs way more of these dudes. Serious flow. They're also fvcking hilarious.

Love me some Das Racist :yesway:

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
This is one of the songs that stays in my playlists:

Chuck

Reaction score
Okay now I surely don't consider myself a hip-hop guru or anything but good kid, m.A.A.d city is probably the best I've heard from the genre.

Splenetic

Reaction score
Wow 4 pages and no mention of Cunninlynguists?

Anyhow....too lazy to link it up but do yourself a favor and look them up. They've never released a bad album, and that includes all their solo albums as well. I listen to a LOT of underground hip hop and these guys are definitely among my top 5. Kno's one hell of a producer and they all spit pure fire. Their close associates (guys like Tonedeff and Sheisty Khrist) are also sick as hell. It's pure integrity, and that counts for a LOT with me when it comes to music.

Some really dope mentions and links so far in the thread btw.

Splenetic

Reaction score
Okay now I surely don't consider myself a hip-hop guru or anything but good kid, m.A.A.d city is probably the best I've heard from the genre.

It's a really, really ....ing good album. It gets better the more you listen to it. But I still don't think it's quite on level with the best the genre has to offer. Definitely one of the best of 2012 though.

Chuck

Reaction score
It's a really, really ....ing good album. It gets better the more you listen to it. But I still don't think it's quite on level with the best the genre has to offer. Definitely one of the best of 2012 though.

Yeah it rules. It's hits me in a way(emotionally) that other hip-hop albums never have.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
There is some dark ass rap out there, but this one has to be one of the darkest. TL;DL - guy beats and rapes rapes his mum by accident and commits suicide.
-VID-
That twist in the last verse ...

I've turned on that song for friends before and just watched their entire face shift as it got further.

Immortal Technique is one of the best as far as I'm concerned.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Yeah it rules. It's hits me in a way(emotionally) that other hip-hop albums never have.
It has also had a huge impact on me as well. I'm guessing that you may not have you heard Section 80? It explores the same themes without the large story, but is even better IMO.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
roc marciano and KA have been runnin new york over the last couple years.

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
Wu is the way and Tang is the slang.
I'm all about the Wu Tang Clan.

Everything about them is just fukking awesome, the raw gritty sound of the first album is great, and the sampling RZA does is perfect.

Been getting into them more and more as I read the Tao of Wu by the RZA. Definitely a good read for a fan of Wu Tang. Talks about how he recorded 36 Chambers, every member gets their own compressor and the settings never change. Pretty interesting way of recording if you ask me. Check it out.

Also a huge fan of Hopsin and Dr. Dre, I really MMLP2 as well. But I'm more into the gangsta rap and the old skool stuff for sure.

Immortal Technique is also one of my all time favourites. Dance With The Devil is a god damn masterpiece.

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
Wu is the way and Tang is the slang.
I'm all about the Wu Tang Clan.

Everything about them is just fukking awesome, the raw gritty sound of the first album is great, and the sampling RZA does is perfect.

Been getting into them more and more as I read the Tao of Wu by the RZA. Definitely a good read for a fan of Wu Tang. Talks about how he recorded 36 Chambers, every member gets their own compressor and the settings never change. Pretty interesting way of recording if you ask me. Check it out.

Also a huge fan of Hopsin and Dr. Dre, I really MMLP2 as well. But I'm more into the gangsta rap and the old skool stuff for sure.

Immortal Technique is also one of my all time favourites. Dance With The Devil is a god damn masterpiece.
Everything you said is awesome, except Hopsin that dude is garb, but everything else is golden all classics.:yesway:

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
Everything you said is awesome, except Hopsin that dude is garb, but everything else is golden all classics.:yesway:

I like Hop because he's just a ballsy guy. He speaks his mind and doesn't give a .....

Plus he doesn't rap about mindless shit like half the other rappers of today do.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Also quite a fan of Hopsin. A big part of it is probably the fact that he reminds me of old school Eminem stuff. Dude is legit.

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
Also quite a fan of Hopsin. A big part of it is probably the fact that he reminds me of old school Eminem stuff. Dude is legit.

Spot on. His stuff reminds me of the Marshall Mathers LP era, and even a bit of Eminem Show era

')