Official Loomis brotherhood thread?

• Thread starter yellowv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
Can these things do some nice edge-of-breakup blues tones?
Just asking.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shabadoo

Reaction score
Count me as a part of the group as well

Loomis.jpg

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score
What pickups are people putting in these? I'm not happy with the stock ones... too muddy, noisy, and NO dynamics (I'm using an Engl Fireball 100). Alright... let me be more realistic... what kinds of BKP are you putting in it? :hbang:

Try the 18v mod. I used to have one of these, got it used with the 18v mod already installed. Best clean tones I've ever heard.

theicon2125

Reaction score
Mine is on its way here, will post pics when it arrives. On a side note, has anyone put Schaller strap locks on their Loomis? I want to, but I dont know if they have a history of problems like some guitars do with Schallers.

tjrlogan

Reaction score
Hi folks...I'm new to the forum (been browsing for a few months but just offically joined).

I bought a used Loomis about a month ago and love it. Excellent quality and even better sound. I'll post pics a bit later when I get home from work.

tjrlogan

Reaction score
Few pics, as promised :)

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    836.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    749.7 KB · Views: 38

theicon2125

Reaction score
i am considering putting in a 81-7 in the bridge of mine, cause i have heard it gives a better tone for deathcore. can anyone confirm this?

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Well, once I started, I couldn't really stop ha. Had my new Strictly 7 Custom Shop seven string to play so I thought, mmm, I kinda always wanted a blue guitar hehe. Saving like crazy for the new Axe-Fx II and the FAS MFC-101 MIDI controller, plus have to buy a power amp etc so can't buy a new guitar now.

The "Vampie Blood" comes off real easy. I don't know what Schecter's contractor uses for the primer but that stuff is like steel! I didn't want to use any chemicals to remove the original finish because I have a big parrot in the house and they are sensitive to things like that. So sand and sand till my arms were falling off. It took a long time with my work schedule and other items needing time and attention.

Used water based dye for the colors, added a little bit of "Super Fine Glitter" to the dye so it kind of throws off a little color and sparkle under lights. French Polished with Shellac and a coat of BRIWAX over that. Still have a lot of detail and polishing to do but I just could not stand having it sitting apart another day.

The back was not the greatest grain to work with but I'm ok with it. I can not tell you how much more resonant the guitar is with that primer coat sanded off. There was a lot if it and it is so stiff and thick it makes a huge difference in how the guitar rings out now. It really has come alive tonally. Totally worth the time and effort imho.

When it comes time to re-fret I am probably going to remove the stock inlaid maple board and install a Ebony or Bloodwood or ? fret board with 12th and 24th inlays only. May lightly scallop some or all of the board or at least go with taller frets. Changing the pick-ups to passive within the next couple months and redoing the wiring and controls.

I learned a lot and will do better on the next project. Beats staring at the T.V. haha...

LoomisSanded8-1.jpg

LoomisRawBack-1.jpg

LoomisFront3Done.jpg

LoomisFront1Done.jpg

LoomisBack1Done.jpg

aleXander

BlackByPopularDemand
Reaction score
i am considering putting in a 81-7 in the bridge of mine, cause i have heard it gives a better tone for deathcore. can anyone confirm this?

I hate the 81-7... doesnt have enough bite as the 707 does for me... but then again the choice is really up to you whether or not it has the tone for deathcore.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
that is one metal looking parrot. also, nice antlers in the background, nice and tall with a wide spread.

The parrots name is "Ozzie". Yes, named after thee Ozzy ha, but not by me. I got him 15 years ago as part of a real estate deal [long story] with a rockin' single mom.

His favorite bands are Necrophagist and Cypress Hill or anything with female vocals [he's such a player lol.]

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I didn't even notice the parrot, I was like 'What the? I guess the Loomis KINDA looks like a parrot. :shrug: '

Aside from the back issues, that's a wicked looking Loomis, it's a really nice shade of blue too.

zappafile

Reaction score
Had my Loomis 7 Non Trem about a week. Sooooo good. First 7 and been loving it. Def a real nice machine. Landed it for less than half the price they sell for locally too so thats always good. Bam! :hbang:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, once I started, I couldn't really stop ha. Had my new Strictly 7 Custom Shop seven string to play so I thought, mmm, I kinda always wanted a blue guitar hehe. Saving like crazy for the new Axe-Fx II and the FAS MFC-101 MIDI controller, plus have to buy a power amp etc so can't buy a new guitar now.

The "Vampie Blood" comes off real easy. I don't know what Schecter's contractor uses for the primer but that stuff is like steel! I didn't want to use any chemicals to remove the original finish because I have a big parrot in the house and they are sensitive to things like that. So sand and sand till my arms were falling off. It took a long time with my work schedule and other items needing time and attention.

Used water based dye for the colors, added a little bit of "Super Fine Glitter" to the dye so it kind of throws off a little color and sparkle under lights. French Polished with Shellac and a coat of BRIWAX over that. Still have a lot of detail and polishing to do but I just could not stand having it sitting apart another day.

The back was not the greatest grain to work with but I'm ok with it. I can not tell you how much more resonant the guitar is with that primer coat sanded off. There was a lot if it and it is so stiff and thick it makes a huge difference in how the guitar rings out now. It really has come alive tonally. Totally worth the time and effort imho.

When it comes time to re-fret I am probably going to remove the stock inlaid maple board and install a Ebony or Bloodwood or ? fret board with 12th and 24th inlays only. May lightly scallop some or all of the board or at least go with taller frets. Changing the pick-ups to passive within the next couple months and redoing the wiring and controls.

I learned a lot and will do better on the next project. Beats staring at the T.V. haha...

LoomisSanded8-1.jpg

LoomisRawBack-1.jpg

LoomisFront3Done.jpg

LoomisFront1Done.jpg

LoomisBack1Done.jpg

The parrot is like WTF did you do to your Loomis.

flint757

Reaction score
Got mine last Tuesday and haven't set it down much since. Its my first seven, played it in a store fell in love with it and the transition from 6 -7 on this guitar was almost not even noticed it felt right like all of the pieces to the puzzle were coming together in the world. :cool:

Latest posts

')