Official What Are You Reading Thread:

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Just ordered 2 Forgotten Realms books, Extinction (Book 4 of the War of the Spider Queen series) and Streams of Silver (Book 5 of the Legend of Drizzt).

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just finished Vonnegut's "Bluebeard" (interesting, but not on par with, say, "Cat's Cradle"), and am about to start David Sedaris' "Me Talk Pretty One Day" which I've been told I should love.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
I just started reading "A Scanner Darkly" by the wonderful Philip K. Dick(same writer for "Blade Runner").

I watched "A Scanner Darkly" with Keanu Reeves and was like holy shit I've definately got to check out this novel.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
"A Power Governments Cannot Suppress" by Howard Zinn

Then I'm going to get into "Fiasco" by Thomas Ricks

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"What's The Matter With Kansas" - Frank. It's enlightening, even if I'm zoning on the author's first name. A sobering tale told with wit and intelligence.

I'm about to start "Accelerado" by Charles Stross.

No ConeSS

Contributor
Reaction score
Online version of "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" by Luo Guanzhong, translated by C. H. Brewitt-Taylor. 21 chapters down, 99 more to go.... whew.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Julian Barnes' "Flaubert's Parrot." It's awesome, though it's about as postmodern as they come (i.e - the second chapter consists of three different chronologies of Flaubert's life, one stressing his accomplishments and conquests and making him seem like a raging sucess, the other the failures and deaths of loved ones, making him seem like he lived a miserable life and died a failure, and the third a collection of his reflections on his life over the course of it, which is understandably pretty neutral).

The chapter about the difference between an author you like and an author you're passionate about, with the analogy about killing 28 Wolf Cubs and feeding them to carp, is absolutely priceless (author you merely like - "what? No, he's a good chap. He'd never do that." Author you believe in. "Oh, well, you see, carp are an endangered species, and as everyone knows if you have a late spring then the only thing a carp can eat is minced Wolf Cub, so he selflessly sacrificed twenty-eight Wolf Cubs and one fair-to-middling authorr (he was painfully modest) for the preservation of a species. Besides, he bequeathed the carp pond to a pack of Boy Scouts in his will, and they've refurbished seven church meeting rooms with the proceeds from admission they've charged to see the scene of the crime.").

Aaron

Reaction score
The satanic bible-Anton Levay
Modest Mouse Biography-Forgot the auther

')