Official What Are You Reading Thread:

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

D_Backz

Reaction score
At the moment I'm whittling through Ulysses by James Joyce, alongside a re-read of Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami which I'm cross referencing with my げんき books and kanji dictionaries, as I'm trying to get a handle back on 日本語.

Last book that I finished that I would recommend would be the New York Trilogy, by Paul Auster, an American existentialist writer.

Do other people tend to juggle many books at once? Considering this, I have a lot of Fitzgerald, Philip K Dick, and Aristophanes that's still to be read, which I will systematically plough through after I have my last exam this coming Thursday - the long summer before university awaits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Just got done re-reading Phil Jackson's Last Season.

Am now re-reading Jacky Gunn, Jim Jenkins' Queen: As It Began. Man, I can't believe it is the first time I am re-reading it since 1995 or 1996... I love Queen and this is probably one of the best books about their story.

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot this summer. Right now, I'm reading White Noise by Don DeLillo, and The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century by Alex Ross. I just finished Choke by Chuck Palahniuk yesterday, and finished his new one, Pygmy, a few weeks ago.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
"Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, although I'm finding the style of writing to be banal and insipid.

trenolds39

Reaction score
Currently reading the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley, as well as the Dark Tower series. I forgot how much I like fiction after reading so many Cosmology and Modern Physics books.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I just finished Choke by Chuck Palahniuk yesterday, and finished his new one, Pygmy, a few weeks ago.

Crap, he's put out another one! Dude is on a tear. It seems like Rant came out a year ago. How was it?

Just finished Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It's one of those books where you don't know if you can read another book because you know that you won't love the next book as much as this one. There's a website with articles and a forum for a bunch of people who are spending the summer reading the book- infinitesummer.org, so I can continue my obsession for a couple more months.

That said, I've started Pychon's Gravity's Rainbow... guess I'm just working my way through some "Important Books" to make up for all the time spent reading books about Atlantis, Rasputin, and mummies from the Barnes & Noble bargain bin in the past few years.

Bungle

Sir Roger Moore, KBE
Reaction score
Emergency by Neil Strauss, Nineteen Eighty Four, Brave New World and Princess Bride. Loved Emergency, Princess Bride and I thought Nineteen Eighty Four was great. I'm afraid to say I wasnt' a huge fan of Brave New World though, but I'm still glad I read it.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a shame Talbot is the kind of nut who can take perfectly valid science and decide that ancient mysticism belongs right in the middle of it...

200px-Infinite_jest_cover.jpg

14902492.JPG

Jeff

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
The Axis Trilogy by Sara Douglas :metal:

Great series if you ever get a chance :yesway: Theres a second trilogy that comes after it too called "The Wayfarer Redemption".

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mostly a mountain of Wierd Fiction and related criticism for my disertation. A few gems I've discovered along the way, on top of the usual stuff by Lovecraft and Poe...

T.E.D Klein: 'The Events At Poroth Farm'
Frank Belknap Long: 'The Hounds of Tindalos'
Fitz Leiber: 'The Terror From The Depths' and 'The Girl With The Hungry Eyes'
Walter de la Mare: 'Seaton's Aunt'
Ramsey Campbell: 'Cold Print'
Robert W. Chambers: 'In The Court of the Dragon' and 'The Yellow Sign'
Gary Myers: 'The Big Picture'
Thomas Ligotti: pretty much everything.
Colin Wilson: 'The Return of the Lloigor'
Algernon Blackwood: 'The Willows' and 'The Wendigo'

Also reread one of the old Doctor Who novels (Alien Bodies), which took me back to my youth.:lol:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Frank Belknap Long and Fritz Leiber are just fantastic - the latter was referred to as "The best fantasy author in America" by Michael Moorcock and that's without even examining his other fiction..great indeed.

Today, I am mainly reading "The Cornelius Quarter" by Michael Moorcock.

I literally just re-read Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned, Memnoch the Devil and Tale of the Body Thief. I didn't re-read Ramses the Damned....I couldn't find Lasher.

Was quite a fan of Anne Rice when I was in my mid 20's and an incorrigible Goth......it was the big shirts that did It....:lol:...

Although I did find a bunch of De Sade books that I had forgotten about in my searching so I may well re-read those.

')