Official What Are You Reading Thread:

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
"Do you believe in God, Hal?"
"Let's just say I have management style issues with God, Boo. I'm pretty much anti-death, Boo. God is, by all accounts, pro death. I don't see how he and I can be reconciled on this one, Boo."

:D
:scratch: Hmm...

How can such an awesome fucking guy have such lousy fucking taste? :fawk:

Did you get that Martin book yet?

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
"Do you believe in God, Hal?"
"Let's just say I have management style issues with God, Boo. I'm pretty much anti-death, Boo. God is, by all accounts, pro death. I don't see how he and I can be reconciled on this one, Boo."

:rofl:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I started reading the first volume of "Hokuto no ken" (Fist of The North Star) today and I've only read about 200 pages so far, but I can tell that it is probably going to become one of my favorite comics ever. It is one of the most famous and most popular comic series and animation series in Japan's history (also one of the goriest, most violent comic series in Japan's history). I saw the mid to late-80s "Hokuto no Ken" animated movie, which I thought was absolutely amazing and is what led me to buy the comic. It's great. I can see myself finishing volume 1 today or tomorrow and then going straight to the bookstore to buy volume 2. Great great stuff. (I'm reading the special edition version, where each volume is about 360 pages long).

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Fist of the NOrth Star OWNS \m/.

Have you seen the newer OVA/OAV/WTF'evers?

Been reading:
The Black Arts - Richard Cavendash

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Always a good read. :yesway:

I'll drink to that. :drew:

Metal Ken said:
Fist of the NOrth Star OWNS \m/.

Have you seen the newer OVA/OAV/WTF'evers?

No. I've seen the 1986 movie twice. I've seen episodes of the animation series that started in 1984. I've played the fighting game. And just today I started reading the comic series that the animation was based on, which I read 240 pages of. Good stuff.

I know there is the new movie Shin Hokuto no Ken: Raou-den that came out in early March of this year. But I haven't had a chance to see it. I also know that there was a live action version of Fist of the North Star made last year and came out this April. But I haven't seen it either (and a friend of mine who is a huge Hokuto no ken fan said that the live action movie totally sucked. I can't say anything until I see it myself.)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ibanez_fanboy said:
abriged version of the new testiment
AND
of mice and men (crap book for school)

Real men read the unabridged king james. And it's been so long since I've read mice and men I can't tell you a thing about it.

On Bob's recommendation, I'm now partway through George R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones." So far, it's excellent. I've got a few nitpicky issues with his characterization (a few characters are just too "stock" and predictable), but all in all it's been a good read so far.

I've also had a vague urge to buy and re-read (I loaned my copy to someone, never got it back, lol) Heller's Catch-22. That might be next on the list, followed possibly by the next G.R.R. Marting book, if it continues to live up to it's potential.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you read/liked Wheel of Time you'll like GRR's stuff.

I think WoT > GRR, but I'm in the minority.

Edit: Also if you still haven't read Dark Tower, you suck donkey ass.

Hey, that's redundant!

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
I am reading textbooks. It sucks ass.

At some point I'll find a load of books I want to read, but I haven't looked for a while evwen though the girlfriend keeps shoving the occasional one in front of telling em to read it. university seriously impacts the amount you want to read after you've been forced to (my first degree).

Still, i had a summer of reading last year, and got through loads of books, so it may happen again this year!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol:

I'll add it to the list, Chris. Meanwhile, from prior comments, I gather you haven't read Catch-22? Clearly, you're a communist, and should be taken outside and shot. And, after you read it, you might actually get that one. ;)

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've read Catch-22.

I've told you to read DT about 294723984723 times, you wretched, nuttgobbling pigfag. At once!

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Chris said:
If you read/liked Wheel of Time you'll like GRR's stuff.

I think WoT > GRR, but I'm in the minority.

Have you read up to Knife of Dreams?

BTW, Dark Tower is brilliant. I can't wait to re-read it, front to back. :yesway:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Reading Dean Koontz/Frankenstein right now, almost finished with the first book. Great stuff, classic Koontz formula which is no suprise, but damn entertaining all the same.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:
I've read Catch-22.

I've told you to read DT about 294723984723 times, you wretched, nuttgobbling pigfag. At once!

:lol:

And you still don't think Where are the Snowdens of Yesteryear is a question worth asking? Part of me just died. :(

Yeah, yeah, I'll get on it... Speaking of which, how's Thomas Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow" treating you, you slack-ass? :wub:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Have you read up to Knife of Dreams?

BTW, Dark Tower is brilliant. I can't wait to re-read it, front to back. :yesway:

I haven't read KoD yet, no. I read book 10 over a year ago, so I'm going to have to start over - you know how that story is. There's no fucking way I could just pick it up and remember where everything left off. :(

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Chris said:

Unfortunately, whenever I think of DT now, "Fuck off, Roland!" immediately pops into my head. Are you sure Eddie didn't make that quote?

')