Official What Are You Reading Thread:

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
noodles said:
Unfortunately, whenever I think of DT now, "Fuck off, Roland!" immediately pops into my head. Are you sure Eddie didn't make that quote?

:lol:

YOU HONK MAFAH!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joel2

Regular SS Orgasm
Reaction score
I'm reading 'The Color of Water' by James McBride. Awesome book. It deals with race relation issues.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Triple threat on books right now:

The Da Vinci Code
Double Helix
The American Connection (IRA shiznat):yesway:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, last night I picked up my vacation reading - the next George R.R. Martin novel, Ellison's Juneteenth (Invisible Man kicks absurd amounts of ass, so this has been on the list for a while), and another copy of Derrida's "Of Grammatology.'

I started in on the introduction to "Of Grammatology" last night, as I remember trying to read it over the summer while I was in college and deeming it the most absolutely incomprehensible pile of pedantic crap I'd ever seen, and I wanted something that'd put me to sleep.

Strangely, I'm actually finding it mildly amusing this time around. Maybe the incomprehensibility ramps up as the preface goes on (I'm only about ten pages into a post-structural analysis of the inherent contradiction of a preface in that by it's very nature it must be written after the actual text and is thus a misnomer, will eventually be sublimated by the reading of the text, and is essentially a condensed reading of the text, and that as each reading of a text is slightly different from reader to reader and repetition to repetition all that you are finally left with is the differences between readings being the only true "existance" of the text itself, and as such a preface is somewhat pointless in that it's only the shadow of someone else's reading).

I think I'm going to save this one for the beaches and bang through Martin and possibly Ellison on the flight and train ride, but I'm relieved and/or concerned that I've either gotten smarter, or my tastes have changed.

Also, (and I realize my saying this is case for concern) I REALLY need to read some Hegel.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew, you are from an alternate universe or something. All that phraseology just blurred into some incomprehensible gobbledy-gook!

WTF, dude! :lol: You need to kick it with me ghetto-style for awhile, rid your cranial partitions of that high-falootin' nonsense. We'll go drink some 40's and sit on the curb together, hollerin' at some hoochies.

I deem this a plan. :agreed:

(Glad to see you're enjoying Martin, though. ;) Lamentably, Infinite Joke sits unread, un-loved by yours truly. My alternate universe theory was actually developed while attempting to muddle through said tome.)

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Drew, you are from an alternate universe or something. All that phraseology just blurred into some incomprehensible gobbledy-gook!

WTF, dude! :lol: You need to kick it with me ghetto-style for awhile, rid your cranial partitions of that high-falootin' nonsense. We'll go drink some 40's and sit on the curb together, hollerin' at some hoochies.

(Glad to see you're enjoying Martin, though. ;) Lamentably, Infinite Joke sits unread, un-loved by yours truly. My alternate universe theory was actually developed while attempting to muddle through said tome.)

Hell yeh. We need to show Drew how it's done in the ghetto.

In fact, dogg, I think our music could have been described as "ghetto metal." It wasn't rap-metal or anything like that. It was just ghettoed-out metal. So ghettoed-out if made you drunk just listened to it. Hyah hah. Like muthah-fuckin' Jimmy Johns. You know muthah fuckin' Jimmy Johns? Awww, yeah. Shit, dogg. Haaaaaa.

Ahem.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:

I'm always down for a bit of front-porch lounging, 40 in hand. Just, if need be, I can kick it (snobby aristocratic) East coast style, too. :flex:

Deconstructionism and post-Structuralism are actually pretty damn cool as philosophical stances - rather than treating an argument at face value, the idea is you draw attention to the underlying structures that the argument is built upon and attack them. Of Grammatology is right up my ally, then - it's basically a theoretical "how-to" on how to render arguments irrelivent by deconstructing the language they're based upon. In short, you focus on not trying to counter the "meaning" of an argument, but rather by creating a disconnect betwee the language of the argument and the meaning of the words - the signifier and signified, in post-structural parlance.

Now, um, where's my 40? :cool:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
I'm always down for a bit of front-porch lounging, 40 in hand. Just, if need be, I can kick it (snobby aristocratic) East coast style, too. :flex:

Deconstructionism and post-Structuralism are actually pretty damn cool as philosophical stances - rather than treating an argument at face value, the idea is you draw attention to the underlying structures that the argument is built upon and attack them. Of Grammatology is right up my ally, then - it's basically a theoretical "how-to" on how to render arguments irrelivent by deconstructing the language they're based upon. In short, you focus on not trying to counter the "meaning" of an argument, but rather by creating a disconnect betwee the language of the argument and the meaning of the words - the signifier and signified, in post-structural parlance.

Now, um, where's my 40? :cool:
If you try talking that shit with moi, whilst drinking that 40, it'll be uspide yo' noggin', son! :lol:

Sorry, only talk about tits, ass, and metal is allowed in the T-Town ghetto 40oz. Drink-Fests.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm currently reading "Belgarath the Sorcerer" from David and Leigh Eddings. It's been many years since I've read a book, and I'm finding great joy in it.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:
I'm currently reading "Belgarath the Sorcerer" from David and Leigh Eddings. It's been many years since I've read a book, and I'm finding great joy in it.
I'm reading the series that that book is a sorta prequel to, 'The Mallorean', by the same author(s).

You should try the George R.R. Martin series I turned Drew on to afterwords, Ken. It's brilliant. :yesway: If you like the Eddings stuff, you'll love the Martin, I almost guarantee it.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
I'm reading the series that that book is a sorta prequel to, 'The Mallorean', by the same author(s).

You should try the George R.R. Martin series I turned Drew on to afterwords, Ken. It's brilliant. :yesway: If you like the Eddings stuff, you'll love the Martin, I almost guarantee it.

I may do that. I've read the Belgariad and the Mallorean series, as well as Polgara the Sorceress. I've even read this book a few times before. The Eddings are my favorite authors, and I have also have their 6 book series about Sparhawk to read again. Starts with The Ruby Knight. Can't remember the name of the series though. Second 3 books are the Tamuli, if I remember correctly.

Regardless, I'm finding the joy of reading fantasy again. :yesway:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:
I may do that. I've read the Belgariad and the Mallorean series, as well as Polgara the Sorceress. I've even read this book a few times before. The Eddings are my favorite authors, and I have also have their 6 book series about Sparhawk to read again. Starts with The Ruby Knight. Can't remember the name of the series though. Second 3 books are the Tamuli, if I remember correctly.

Regardless, I'm finding the joy of reading fantasy again. :yesway:
I've read every one of these books you list, Ken. All good, I agree. I plan of re-reading the Sparhawk stuff, even though it seems like re-hashed Belgariad in many ways. It's still good stuff, though!

That being said, the George R.R. Martin series is on a whole different level. If you liked these, I know you'll love it. :yesway: (Series is called 'A Song of Ice and Fire', book one is called A Game of Thrones.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553573403/sr=8-5/qid=1148138230/ref=pd_bbs_5/104-3195935-6747123?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Also consider Robert Jordan's 'The Wheel of Time.' He's a bit of a hack, but he can spin a decent yarn, and there' s something about this series... engrossing plot and terrific narative devices, even though the characters (while being completely... mmm... able to absord you, I guess) are kinda 2 dimensional.

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
My wife is freakin hooked on The Wheel of Time series. I always bring her the new one when it comes out. It is instant get lucky time! Also she stays out of my hair for a few days after she gets it. I have heard from her and a few other people that they are pretty good. I usually don't read too many fiction books though. Stephen King, Robert Ludlum and occasionally Clive Barker if I don't have anything else.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dive-Baum said:
My wife is freakin hooked on The Wheel of Time series. I always bring her the new one when it comes out. It is instant get lucky time! Also she stays out of my hair for a few days after she gets it. I have heard from her and a few other people that they are pretty good. I usually don't read too many fiction books though. Stephen King, Robert Ludlum and occasionally Clive Barker if I don't have anything else.

I loved WoT. I didn't read book 11, need to reread from the beginning to get re-caught-up with it, but the series is fucking awesome. Books 1-5 were a little better/more action-packed than 6-10, but :yesway: from me all the same.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Chris said:
I loved WoT. I didn't read book 11, need to reread from the beginning to get re-caught-up with it, but the series is fucking awesome. Books 1-5 were a little better/more action-packed than 6-10, but :yesway: from me all the same.
:agreed:

Interestingly, book 11 was very good. There was actually *gasp* plot movement! Something completely absent from books 6-10.

I think ol' RJ realized he'd never, ever finish the series going at the rate he was.

That is a very strange series. My mom picked me up book 1 back in 1990, when it first came out. I've gotten every succesive book as soon as it came out. I have been reading this series for half my life. :scratch: Strange feeling.

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
My wife bitches about that every time she finishes reading one. She says they don't resolve anything and then add new storylines. I say it's b/c he wants to write more books. It's like the first season of Lost.

')