Official What Are You Reading Thread:

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NDG

Contributor
Reaction score
Dune - Frank Herbert

Anything by his son = no thanks for me.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Going over 'Mrs Dalloway' by Virginia Woolf again. Starting to appreciate it as I dissect it, which is wierd; my course instructors finally come through!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just finished Sam Adams' "War of Numbers," a nonfiction work about his role in determining the "order of battle," or official enemy tally, in Vietnam, and how the number was both being arbitrarily decreased within combattant classes, and entire classes being not counted (such as the "home guard" guerillas who both were responsible for the mines that caused 80% of American casualties, and who were used as reserve troops by the Vietcong to replace losses in their regulars) to create the illusion of victory - on the eve of the Tet Offensive the official tally was 242k, while Adams was lobbying for it to be revised to around 600k, and since the americans knew the VC's were rpeparing for something, he argues most of the losses could have been prevented if we were planning for an attack by the actual number of troops, not 1/3 of the ones who were out there. Interesting read.

Currently, Proust's "Swann's Way," as my mom struggled through it and she wants a second opinion.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Gunslinger - Stephen King

I've meant to read the whole Dark Tower series for some time, and I'm starting with the revised Gunslinger. I had read them previously up to Wizard and Glass, so this is a reread for me.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
A collection of short stories by Edogawa Ranpou (including some disturbing works such as "Kagami Jigoku," "Ningen Isu" and "Imomushi").

KillMAH

Mr. Fumblefingers
Reaction score
Seventh Son - The first in the "Alvin Maker" series by Orson Scott Card. Iron Maiden based the concept of the SSOASS album on these books. It's pretty good so far, although it's something one might read in grade school. It's still a nice break from literature on the role of the EGF Receptor in Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition.

P.S. Up the Irons!!!! :metal:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Magical Circle of Rudolf II - Peter Marshall

I decided to intersperse at least one book between each of the Dark Tower books :)

DelfinoPie

Whoopsie Daisy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Whoa since I last posted in this thread I finished two books.

Hannibal Rising - Thomas Harris

')