OFR for my RG350MDX

• Thread starter Schweitz4167
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Schweitz4167

Reaction score
Okay so I'm modding my Ibanez RG350mdx, and I'm wanting to replace my EDGE III with an Original Floyd Rose. Im looking to purchase from beyond eleven, and theyre choices for neck radius are in inches. I researched my guitar and found my neck radius is 400mm, or, when converted, is just under 15 3/4 inches, which isnt an available option on this website. Am I not doing something right or do they just not make one for my neck size? BTW, this is for the nut size, so are all floyd roses the same? By that I mean could I just leave the original nut on there and use just the bridge? Sorry If this is confusing but any help would be great Im soooo ready to get rid of my EDGE III! Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is not a production OFR that has a factory matched radius to 400mm, though you can easily shim the saddles to the proper radius using either pre-made saddle shims (available from AllParts), or making your own out of thin sheets of brass or aluminum.

As for the nut, Ibanez guitars and more importantly your Ibby, has a nut width of 43mm, though just like the bridge there is no factory OFR nut with the proper radius, though you should be fine just using the existing nut.

Schweitz4167

Reaction score
Okay, so do the floyds come matched with the radius of the nut or are they all pretty much the same? And is placing shims under the saddles something that could done by me easily or should i take it to a tech to be sure? Im no luthier but Im educated enough to do my own truss rod/action adjustments and i have feeler gauges and things like that of my own

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
It can be tricky if you havent worked on a floyd rose that in depth. I can tell you that many companys dont even bother setting the radius on a floyd. You would want to get some radius guides. You may even be able to print them on a computer for you purposes. If you read up on how to do it its not beyond most peoples grasp. I think it will strongly depend on your patience. Floyds take finesse and patience. If you dont have them both your probably going to get irritated in short order. I honestly would stay away from OFR's these days. The quality has dropped and Im actually ripping the OFR off my new carvin and am going to go with a graphtech. I really wanted to go with a Gotoh but it wouldnt fit my route. The Gotoh is IMHO the best floyd currently made. And John suhr seems to think so too.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Getting radius right really requires some radius gauges, though the premade shims are easy enough to use. Basically all you do is loosen a given string's saddle and place the shim of appropriate thickness underneath the saddle and then screw it back in.

jl-austin

Reaction score
This is what you need!

Flyod upgrades Edge III

Edge-III-800FU-.jpg

Why bother with a different tremolo when you can just upgrade the one you have?

ProgShredder73

Reaction score
i really dislike the edge iii. i dont know how many of you have tried it but if you pull up on it, the strings rest in a different position as when you do a dive bomb. this is really annoying because after every pull up, you have to do a dive bomb to be in tune again. the upgrade you mentioned ^, i cant really see it having any effect on this. i would want to overhaul it as well.

jl-austin

Reaction score
There is a video on Floyd upgrades. Apparently the base plate on the Edge III is a 2 piece design. I would imagine that has a lot to do with its instability. I have to admit, the edge III is not a good design.

People have replaced their Edge III's with Edge Pros and OFR. It can be done.I think there is a guide on the Jemsite about it.

')