Oh God! Ibanezcollector is at it again lets the mods begin *Updated 1-19*

ibanezcollector

Gear Junkie
Reaction score
Well here we go going to be doing some mods to this Jay Turser 7 I got from GC couple weeks ago. Believe it or not this guitar is actually not that bad for a back up 7, and I am going to mod it so it definitely can become a main 7 :)

First step new pickups :)

Dimarzio1.JPG

Dimarzio2.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
Which Jay Turser is it? I picked one up a couple of weeks ago too because it's actually really solid.

ibanezcollector

Gear Junkie
Reaction score
I got it at GC, for $149 a friend is a MGR there and calls me when new 7's come in especially cheap ones haha he told me GC got a huge closeout on these and since they are not a Jay Turser dealer they have to mark them as USED.

I got the tune-o-matic version which is quite solid, needs some fret work the edges are sharp. But balances well, no neck dive, is a good looker and as said before its quite solid, great guitar for some modding.

My list of mods are going to be:
Relocating the controls I hate the 3 way between the volume/tone
Inlay Decals
New Knobs
Pickups Obviously
Roll the fretboard edges as its quite sharp
Possibly Paint not sure yet
Fix the frets that are sharp
Momentary Switch for shits and giggles

Nice that the control panel has some room to add some fun stuff.

Pics later tonight as I begin with the frets and pickups :)

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
Sweet dude. I have the same issues as you as there are a few sharp frets, but other than that it's really solid. Specifically, the neck is really comfortable. I picked up the JT650FR7 model for like, $160. Same story with my GC that they got a bunch in closeout and have them marked as used.

ibanezcollector

Gear Junkie
Reaction score
ok trying to find a florescent green les paul switch tip is next to impossible, so time to take it into my own hands, out comes the airbrush and we got a florescent green switch tip :)

01.JPG

Next up was what to do with the knobs, so I had a set of Chrome Domes off a Ibanez I wasnt using. Since the air brush was out I painted them black, then splashed very lightly florescent green, and clear coated them. Since this guitar has recessed controls I didnt want to use strat knobs it would just look, well, dumb

02.JPG

ibanezcollector

Gear Junkie
Reaction score
Ok dont like the look of the knobs or the green switch tip LOL so I am back to black on those.

Pickups wired in, the kill switch is drilled and wired(got to modify the button a tad), switch moved up front, instead of in the middle.

Better pic tomorrow as we continue, think I am going to delete the tone knob in favor of a coil tap.

03.JPG

ibanezcollector

Gear Junkie
Reaction score
Ok after the mass murder of 100s of pieces of wire, and a few switches LOL she is finally wired up and this is my final answer LOL no more wiring I made my decision.

04.JPG

The wiring is like so:

Single Volume
3 Way Switch
Coil Tap
Momentary Kill Switch with custom button

05.JPG

The momentary kill switch button is basically a strap button of all things, I just couldnt stand the look of the plastic button top it looked so freaking cheesy. So I took the stock plastic button and cut the mounting tab off then I took the strap pin button and cut a portion of it off. Little epoxy to hold them together and viola, a nicer looking switch button.

I had to do some serious drilling into the guitar using 4 different sized bits to get it to recess just enough with out binding but works like a charm.

Anyways here is how she sits currently awaiting some goodies in the mail

06.JPG

07.JPG

ibanezcollector

Gear Junkie
Reaction score
Ok decided to go totally a different direction the Crunch Lab and Liquifires went into my RG7420 swirl, and I have a set of Blaze Necks coming for this one, going to go old school Korn sound on this 7, little fact early Korn tracks had the boys using Blaze Necks in both positions.

Anyways went with a triple faux binding on the body, 2 on the sides, 1 on the front face, just about went cross eyed trying to line all these pinstripes up :eek:

08.JPG

09.JPG

Headstock also got the double treatment, one on the side, one on the face, the neck also got some faux binding, this thing really pops now versus the just black boring look from before.

The neck face had some sharp corners so I couldnt use one single piece on the face, I had to do like a miter joint on that part which was a pain in the ass.

10.JPG

11.JPG

bandinaboy

SS.org Unsui
Reaction score
Make up your mind! haha. everything your doing is coming out really nicely and really clean. But I like those knobs you didnt use the best. You doin anything with those?

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
damn, that faux binding really sets it off. Are you gonna clear coat over top of them so they don't go anywhere?

ibanezcollector

Gear Junkie
Reaction score
Ok Dimarzio Blaze Necks in both positions are in, now just awaiting the crowning touch of the custom inlay decals.

I also forgot to mention I did roll the fretboard edge, and fixed the fret ends and polished them.

She is really becoming a player, I honestly am really digging the feel of this guitar lately.

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

ibanezcollector

Gear Junkie
Reaction score
forgot to mention anyone picking one of these babies up on the cheap at GCs should note if your going to put in Dimarzio's you will have to file the ears a bit to get them to fit in the cavity, takes 30 mins or so not a hard job but just a warning.