Ola Synergy Engl Savage video!

• Thread starter Bentaycanada
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
It's funny to see the demographic of this forum which is a bit more open minded respond to these Synergy products.

I find it interesting that each module gets its voltage reconfigured to be like the real deal, and that's very important to getting the FEEL right.

I hear quite a marked difference between all the modules.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Everything's backwards compatible with MTS. Picked up my RM100 for $350 empty. Blackface is the best clean tone I have outta 3 other amps. The Angel E is my one modded pre I have. It's finally the perfect gain structure for me on 6's and low tuned 7's. Being able to change power tube types on a whim and bias yourself is cool. I run KT88 El34 together. I go thru Matt Figurski at Motor City Mods. He brings the Salvation stuff stateside. He also does his own twist on the Salvation stuff. Like adding a Recto voicing the the Salvado and such. I thought about the Synergy BE but i love the voicing of the Salvation JJ Dirt better and it has a BE switch on it.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
but i love the voicing of the Salvation JJ Dirt better and it has a BE switch on it.

Man the JJ Dirt model is the one that is constantly tempting me to get a syn1.

I wish salvation would make their own chassis, or make a single-preamp module that doesn’t need a chassis.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
Man the JJ Dirt model is the one that is constantly tempting me to get a syn1.

I wish salvation would make their own chassis, or make a single-preamp module that doesn’t need a chassis.

Salvation has made custom 2 channel, 1u preamps, featuring any 2 of his preamps. These are not modular dependant, but they’re also not cheap. Around 1200 USD if I remember rightly.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Salvation has made custom 2 channel, 1u preamps, featuring any 2 of his preamps. These are not modular dependant, but they’re also not cheap. Around 1200 USD if I remember rightly.

I just saw that in a post on rig-talk actually. I remember it being talked about like a year ago also. It’s like the MTS though, sounds cool until I see the price.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
But a lot of people want amp tone/feel/interactivity, across a variety of different amps. Kemper falls short, very high quality plug-ins are rare and I've heard iffy things about even newer ML plugins (like nameless) when talking to guys that know amps.

So while if I have to judge from these sets of demos, it definitely doesn't live up to that ideal, actually being able to replace 10+ tube amps with some modular components for a fraction of the cost... sounds nice.

That's a fair point. IF the sound and feel was really, really good then maybe I could see it.

But really, I've seen enough blind tests of Kemper to know that I can't reliably tell the difference. I think the one which really convinced me was Rob Chapman not being able to tell his own signature amplifier from a profile. Lasse and others have shown that the Kemper reacts perfectly to rolling down volume knobs, using a TS boost etc, so I wouldn't be concerned about the feel either.

I'm not denying that some people might be able to tell, but I think that's getting into a pretty small population there, lol. And again, if I wanted the exact sound and feel of an ENGL Savage, JCM800, Friedman etc, I'd just buy those amps knowing that they are tried and tested, readily available to buy and sell etc. Getting into some proprietary modules from a small company seems... risky.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
That's a fair point. IF the sound and feel was really, really good then maybe I could see it.

But really, I've seen enough blind tests of Kemper to know that I can't reliably tell the difference. I think the one which really convinced me was Rob Chapman not being able to tell his own signature amplifier from a profile. Lasse and others have shown that the Kemper reacts perfectly to rolling down volume knobs, using a TS boost etc, so I wouldn't be concerned about the feel either.

Yea, but frankly, not a great amp.

I'm not denying that some people might be able to tell, but I think that's getting into a pretty small population there, lol. And again, if I wanted the exact sound and feel of an ENGL Savage, JCM800, Friedman etc, I'd just buy those amps knowing that they are tried and tested, readily available to buy and sell etc. Getting into some proprietary modules from a small company seems... risky.

I just think it seems to be at a weird compromise in the market. If you've totally drunk the koolaid then you have a kemper and you're like, well, I don't need all these amps -- profiles are perfect. On the other side, you have guys that won't touch that, and need it in the physical amp. But all of those guys realize the importance of the power amp. In the synergy stuff, you're locked in to one type of power amp, and who knows exactly what that is. You want to sell this stuff to the real amp guys, but real amp guys don't consider a jet city a SLO because it doesn't have DeYoung transformers. Those guys are fussing at a level that's like 5-10 orders of magnitude finer than the type of departure made by the synergy pwr amp.

I guess if I previously had like the Bogner fish, VHT gp3, Engl e570, Soldano X99, triaxis, and jmp -- and was running them all into the same power section thinking I was totally happy with those sounds, then maybe something like this I could shave off $1k+ per pre-amp. But not really a huuge savings.

Someone entering the modular space who can satisfy like... the guy that like gets the head without reverb just because the reverb in the circuit might ruin the relationship between the pre/pwr, which is like a lot of the EL-84 guys... that somehow gives you more flexibility over that pre/pwr amp relationship... then I could sort of see it gaining ground. But otherwise guys that want a bunch of sounds are just, as you exemplify, going to go digital. I can say right from this demo that I'd prefer Kemper tone over most of these modules, while simultaneously not satisfied with the Kemper taking on just about any of the amps I have (Engl aside).

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
All tedious "micro minutia" aside, even if its gets you 80% of the way there it's worth it. And changing the power tubes will get you even closer. Some of the modules have their own thing going on that's actually better than the real amps. Read that all the time on the MTS Forums. "I'd just buy those amps". Well good for you. When I finally quit printing and get my CDL I'll own a few good amps too. For now I'll take my $350 Randall out on gigs and leave it in our freezing band barn in the winter whilst not worrying about it.

As for the power section I read it's an almost exact Plexi/Bassman circuit, and that's what everything is based off of originally.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Love the idea and design. Might have to see about getting the 50 and a few modules

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
All tedious "micro minutia" aside, even if its gets you 80% of the way there it's worth it. And changing the power tubes will get you even closer. Some of the modules have their own thing going on that's actually better than the real amps. Read that all the time on the MTS Forums. "I'd just buy those amps". Well good for you. When I finally quit printing and get my CDL I'll own a few good amps too. For now I'll take my $350 Randall out on gigs and leave it in our freezing band barn in the winter whilst not worrying about it.

As for the power section I read it's an almost exact Plexi/Bassman circuit, and that's what everything is based off of originally.

But a Kemper gets you WAY closer than 80%. More like 95%. I mean, people literally can't distinguish between the green toaster box and a boutique amp. There are hundreds of blind tests out there, and essentially it comes down to guessing. And Kemper has been good enough for Metallica, Andy Sneap etc

People saying the modular device is "better than the actual amp" sounds like typical justification from people who've spent money on a bunch of gear. It may be different, but you could also change the tubes in a real amp, tweak the EQ of your Kemper profile, or even get an amp modded if you really need to tweak that much.

As for gigging, a Kemper is going to be much more reliable than any amp with tubes in it. You could also leave it in a freezing barn over winter without worry. And really, who needs a modular amplifier for gigging? Are you going to be swapping pre-amps between songs?

And for cost, a quick check of Sweetwater shows that the Synergy amp is $1600 and each module is $400. Cab is another $800. But a Kemper is $1800. So I find any "worth it" argument a bit hard to swallow. I'd say @narad is correct, and I think this is more like a toy for people to play with.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
But a Kemper gets you WAY closer than 80%. More like 95%. I mean, people literally can't distinguish between the green toaster box and a boutique amp. There are hundreds of blind tests out there, and essentially it comes down to guessing. And Kemper has been good enough for Metallica, Andy Sneap etc

People saying the modular device is "better than the actual amp" sounds like typical justification from people who've spent money on a bunch of gear. It may be different, but you could also change the tubes in a real amp, tweak the EQ of your Kemper profile, or even get an amp modded if you really need to tweak that much.

As for gigging, a Kemper is going to be much more reliable than any amp with tubes in it. You could also leave it in a freezing barn over winter without worry. And really, who needs a modular amplifier for gigging? Are you going to be swapping pre-amps between songs?

And for cost, a quick check of Sweetwater shows that the Synergy amp is $1600 and each module is $400. Cab is another $800. But a Kemper is $1800. So I find any "worth it" argument a bit hard to swallow. I'd say @narad is correct, and I think this is more like a toy for people to play with.

Some people don’t want to go digital. There are plenty of musicians that stay tube, and the modular range is a great product for that.

The used / custom market is plentiful, and the range of tones available aren’t lacking.

I love my move to Kemper recently, but at the same time I’m still tone chasing the Jaded Faith Cali-Lead preamp module I was using up until this summer. I will nail it soon enough, but it’s going to take some profile pack searching to get there.

bubucci

Reaction score
I agree with most, SLO module sounds best. It was plug and play test and the other modules may need some longer adjustments.
Kemper vs MTS/Synergy. From my experiences, modules are closer to actual amps in terms on feel and reactions to settings. Kemper is one generic amp with different ''textures'' but on recording, FOH or IEM, nobody cares :)
Salvation mods Terrier module is one that I like more then actual VHT amps. Same with Soldano SL60 I have modded by Salvation that I like more than original Hot Rod 50. Tony have very recreation of Soldano tone.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score

Hey, what is your user name at MTS? I was huge into it from 08> 2010-ish

I love Salvation stuff. I don't think there are many SM2s out there. I may have had the only one? I got it last year. MattFig has one that seems to be finished according to Facebook.

Here it is below, OR100/Framus Cobra. I actually had both of these amps and prefer this SM2...I hated the loops on both of the amps. It helps that it is going into a Diezel power section. But it sounds good with 5153 50w or DSL too. The DMoll is amazing though.

YEsEmjF.jpg

I also have a Kemper. No need to choose one or the other, get both!
I GAS for some synergy as well. That Engl sounds cool to me.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
Hey, what is your user name at MTS? I was huge into it from 08> 2010-ish

I love Salvation stuff. I don't think there are many SM2s out there. I may have had the only one? I got it last year. MattFig has one that seems to be finished according to Facebook.

Here it is below, OR100/Framus Cobra. I actually had both of these amps and prefer this SM2...I hated the loops on both of the amps. It helps that it is going into a Diezel power section. But it sounds good with 5153 50w or DSL too. The DMoll is amazing though.

YEsEmjF.jpg

I also have a Kemper. No need to choose one or the other, get both!
I GAS for some synergy as well. That Engl sounds cool to me.

Now that’s a great selection, the OR100/Mamba! I used to wonder what 2 mods I’d put in one, it was always a Marshall style like Camerock or Rhoadie and then either the Terrier, Mamba or Mr Boga.....

I always considered the Camerock to be the best thing that came out of MTS. But I now have the MattFigg Camerock and Rhoadie Kemper profile packs, and I actually prefer the Rhoadie, though I never played the real module.

I had the Mamba a few times, including the Pit Viper prototype, and they were vastly improved upon over my actual Framus Cobra.

That OR100 sounds amazing in his video, I think it’s one of his best. I owned an OR15 before, and consider the OR line to be Orange’s finest.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score

I don't have 2k for fuggin Cosmic Death Toaster. And I don't care how close it sounds. It doesn't feel as good. What i do have money for? A $350 Randall that takes the same modules, and then have stock modules modded hear and there. Or buy a Synergy mod or two once or twice a year. If ya read anything I said in my previous post, you don't need a Synergy platform to run these modules. And no, I don't switch them out mid set. But I DO have an Engl and a Marshall and a Fender all in one head to get what I need done. I don't think I even have a G invested.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I don't have 2k for fuggin Cosmic Death Toaster. And I don't care how close it sounds. It doesn't feel as good. What i do have money for? A $350 Randall that takes the same modules, and then have stock modules modded hear and there. Or buy a Synergy mod or two once or twice a year. If ya read anything I said in my previous post, you don't need a Synergy platform to run these modules. And no, I don't switch them out mid set. But I DO have an Engl and a Marshall and a Fender all in one head to get what I need done. I don't think I even have a G invested.

I see you have the SL+, that's such a great stock Marshall mod. In fact the Blackface and SL+ were two of my original purchases back in '08. They are amazing stock replicas of the real thing.
I must admit, if I saw another RM in the $250-350 region, I'd be tempted!
The bottom end of the insanely heavy RM100 is just crushing!

jsmalleus

Reaction score
I see you have the SL+, that's such a great stock Marshall mod. In fact the Blackface and SL+ were two of my original purchases back in '08. They are amazing stock replicas of the real thing.
I must admit, if I saw another RM in the $250-350 region, I'd be tempted!
The bottom end of the insanely heavy RM100 is just crushing!

Too bad you're so far away, I got another RM100 two weeks ago just so I could to snag that Mr. Scary module out of it lol. I only listed it locally tho because of the weight. I imagine the $ to send it to Canada would be redunkulous given the size and heft :(. If any sso-ers are local-ish and want one cheap tho, feel free to hit me up. Or if you want to stop by a band practice just to check out the synergy/mts modules, toss back a few, and shoot aliens, lez dowit!
:guns: *pew pew*

The cool thing about the old mts stuff that I felt was the primary let down with the SYN5050 is that you can put a wide variety of power tubes in them, so you can really flavor the amp to suit your modules and preferences. Synergy has the cathode biasing switches though which is cool + dual channel, I think JF offers a mod that does the same thing as the cathode biasing for $100 tho, there's the egnater mod amps and m4 as well, so there's lots of different options and rigs to choose from.

Latest posts

')