Ola Synergy Engl Savage video!

• Thread starter Bentaycanada
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
It’s actually Ola playing several modules, but the new Engl Savage module is included.

It sounds alright, though I’ll argue the Salvation Angel module sounds much better for Engl tones.

This video appears to reenforce the opinion that the by far best module Synergy has produced is the SLO.

Dang, might have to buy another Syn-1.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Did you sell your last syn1?

I watched the video earlier during my lunch break, sounded pretty cool. I also thought the SLO module was the best sounding one.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score

I watched the video earlier during my lunch break, sounded pretty cool. I also thought the SLO module was the best sounding one.

Yes, I sold it on as Synegy were really dragging their feet with the new releases. There’s supposed to be Engl, Bogner and Fryette in the works, but I quickly realized that could be a long wait or never at all.

If it does come to fruition, then I’ll likely have another go!

shred-o-holic

Reaction score
The SLO module sounds killer. I swore off modular amps after my experience with Randall MTS but there really seems a lot of varience in the tones of the preamps. With Randall there were some similarities in all the modules not as drastic in some cases..

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
The SLO module sounds killer. I swore off modular amps after my experience with Randall MTS but there really seems a lot of varience in the tones of the preamps. With Randall there were some similarities in all the modules not as drastic in some cases..

I was an MTS user for nearly a decade. Even when I used the Syn-1, I was using it with MTS modules. I never actually tried any Synergy mods. I had my faves from the old MTS line and the function of the Syn-1 is what really interested me.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

The MTS line was pretty meh for a lot of people. Cheaper, mass-produced versions. A lot of people dig the modded ones like Salvation and Jaded Faith. I think Billy Corgan still tours with the Salvation-modded ones. That, and the Egnator MOD line. Almost positive these will be better than the Randall ones.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
The MTS line was pretty meh for a lot of people. Cheaper, mass-produced versions. A lot of people dig the modded ones like Salvation and Jaded Faith. I think Billy Corgan still tours with the Salvation-modded ones. That, and the Egnator MOD line. Almost positive these will be better than the Randall ones.

There were some decent stock Randall mods; Blackface, SL+, Ultra XL, and XTC were all my original models bought in ‘08. The signature models from George Lynch, Kirk Hammet, Scott Ian, and Dan Donegon were all very good modules.

That’s said, the custom mods wet on another level, and definitely where most spend their time. IMO, a lot of the custom mods are improvements on their original designs.

lewis

Reaction score
Bare in mind it appears ola is using an emg 81 in the video.

That will affect tone potential.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
i think the mts/synergy idea is interesting but the pricepoint is a bit contentious for me. yeah, it's cheaper than actually owning a vht pitbull/engl savage and a vh4, but so is dropping <1500 usd on a kemper/axefx... I feel like the synergy is going to have a hard time stealing people back from modelers/profilers considering how good they are anymore.
That being said, all the modules sounded pretty good in the demo.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score

yeah the SLO module also dominated the VH4 module when I tried it

jsmalleus

Reaction score
The SLO gets my vote among the Synergy modules so far as well. I'm excited to try the Savage module though. I would love if they made a VH4/Herbert module similar to the mixed module they have planned for the Friedman amps. I actually scored a Mr. Scary & a gigmods Brown that arrived yesterday and I think I like the Mr. Scary through the el34 side of the rt 2/50 the most out of the stock Randall modules I've tried so far, it was holding its own even compared to the modded modules when I was testing it out, which I wasn't really expecting.

wakjob

Reaction score
Watched that before I left for work this morning,
and decided to go with the SYN-2 after nearly a year
of deliberating.

The first one I'll get with be the T/DLX for sure.
That's just my sound.

Then for high gain?...IDK...
They all have something I like about them.

Time to call Sweetwater.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
The SLO gets my vote among the Synergy modules so far as well. I'm excited to try the Savage module though. I would love if they made a VH4/Herbert module similar to the mixed module they have planned for the Friedman amps. I actually scored a Mr. Scary & a gigmods Brown that arrived yesterday and I think I like the Mr. Scary through the el34 side of the rt 2/50 the most out of the stock Randall modules I've tried so far, it was holding its own even compared to the modded modules when I was testing it out, which I wasn't really expecting.

The Mr Scary is among the best of the stock modules. It's an amazing take on the SLO tone. Always brought a smile to my face!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Great video but meh tone. The VH4 module doesn't even sound like it's in the Diezel family. Vox wasn't very close at all, but that makes sense given how integral the power amp is in that circuit.

I don't know -- seems like it's only good at the very pre-heavy high gain stuff, like engl, but then again, you can just grab a e570.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I think these are better videos, as far as the tones go.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Didn't like the sounds at all. I also don't really see the point in something like this.

If I was tone chasing and wanted versatility for recording, I'd get a Kemper or even just plugins which can do all of those tones convincingly.

And if I liked collecting gear, I'd rather just buy the actual heads.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
If I was tone chasing and wanted versatility for recording, I'd get a Kemper or even just plugins which can do all of those tones convincingly.

But a lot of people want amp tone/feel/interactivity, across a variety of different amps. Kemper falls short, very high quality plug-ins are rare and I've heard iffy things about even newer ML plugins (like nameless) when talking to guys that know amps.

So while if I have to judge from these sets of demos, it definitely doesn't live up to that ideal, actually being able to replace 10+ tube amps with some modular components for a fraction of the cost... sounds nice.

Elric

Reaction score
The SLO module is the only one I have heard universally praised. I was researching these a month or two back and man, they are f*cking expensive and you are locked down on the power amp (meaning if you use 6L6’s all the ‘amps’ use a 6L6)... I would end up buying a bunch of these modules at $400 a pop just to try out, too. Sounds like some even have reliability issues on some of them... then when I look at the vids and demos, it’s all kind of underwhelming. I’m willing to drop the coin but the stuff needs to sound primo for that kind of money.

The concept is amazing... and I know there is dedicated group of folks who swear by them... I guess I could still see getting the preamp or syn1 and feeding it to a torpedo like device for power amp and cabs emulation, in fact I probably will someday if they stick around just to satisfy curiosity.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I guess as long as you manage your expectations it has the potential to be a great setup. Plus with the likes of Salvation mods (granted they’re only one channel modules), there are a lot of preamps you can choose from. Plus I think they’ll do custom stuff if you’ll pay for it.

As long as you’re okay with the Diezel module not being an exact Diezel, bassman model not being an exact bassman, etc. You can still get your preferred style of clean preamp with your preferred style of gain preamp.

I have a few solidstate preamp pedals that are tons of fun to mess with. I’m still tempted to get the Syn1 and a couple salvation modules (like the jj, terrier, camerock) but damn is it expensive.

Friedman has the BE-OD pedal which people seem to like more than the BE/HBE synergy modules, and Diezel’s VH4 pedal is pretty cool too. And both are a lot cheaper.

Latest posts

')