Old 90's "Custom Guitars" ESPs

• Thread starter Swarm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Can someone fill me on this and why it's been posted for quite awhile with no takers? I've nearly hit buy on it a couple times but I don't know shit about ESP and have almost no need for a block heeled viper right now.

May be overstepping my knowledge here, but who tf wants a knockoff bolt-on SG?

90's bolt-ons don't sell, I've seen Horizons sit for a year below that price

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I could see myself buying a bolt-on horizon (if it was 24f, which they almost never are) but a bolt-on SG? It's going against what an SG is. Like a bolt-on LP.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
It's made for someone looking to upgrade their Epiphone G310 but doesn't want a set neck.

So basically nobody.

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I could see myself buying a bolt-on horizon (if it was 24f, which they almost never are) but a bolt-on SG? It's going against what an SG is. Like a bolt-on LP.
James wrote and recorded Kill'em All on a bolt on fake LP 😁.Edit: it was fake flying V actually, but you get the point.

Swarm

Reaction score
So... can I ask something a bit OT please? Is it true that E-II / Standard series and Edwards are similar quality (according to a European ESP dealer) as well as mostly built in China (NOT according to that dealer) with only fit and finish in Japan? I suppose one of you ESP gurus *cough* narad *cough* have the answer.
My brand new Alexi Scythe and the Pinky I also tried are just as good as an EII feel wise with the same neck profile as my SS Horizon at least for the Scythe. The fretwork is just as good as well. Aesthetically speaking the cavities are not as clean as an EII/SS and that's all I can say really, they're just as good otherwise. My bandmate swears his EX220 Edwards is not as good as his EIIs, hard to say for me as a lefty but it looks good. I just changed the FR1000 for an OFR and put an EMG 57 and a led killswitch in mine and it's my main live guitar now, replacing the aforementioned 90's MII. I don't feel like I made a step backwards honestly, it plays just as good and I'm quite picky especially with fretwork cause I need low action on the higher strings but this one is flawless playing wise. YMMV I guess but for what it's worth I have an Edwards Katakana and an EII Eclipse SW on order so that will be interesting, I'll be able to compare with a third brand new Edwards but the other 2 I played made me really confident. These are bargains to me, at least the new ones.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
The only Edwards I played that didn't wow me was the EX110 or 120 or something. Basically an MX250 shape with rosewood and transparent matt black finish. The two Alexis I played were awesome though. Right up there with the SS MII NTB and UC I had.

But I don't know if they were made in the Chinese custom shop or Japan.

narad

Reaction score
I have an Edwards Alexi and a Custom Shop Horizon for sale in my sig if anyone wants to compare the quality ;-)

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Well, comparing these two side by side-

IMG_4281.jpeg

IMG_4283.jpeg

IMG_6612.jpeg

IMG_3159.jpeg

(E-II is a 2019, Edwards is a 2022)

The fit/finish is very clearly done by the same people with the same products. Fretwork, overall finishing, everything is quite spot on between both guitars. The physical feeling of both guitars, outside of spec stuff, is identical. Like if you pick up an Ibanez and then pick up an ESP, you’ll note some smal differences in the textures of the guitars, the Edwards and E-II have no differences.

At this point I just chuckle at the varying descriptions I’ve heard of Edwards over the years. Anything from “worse than an Epiphone” to “better than anything coming out of the Gibson Custom Shop”. I just know this won’t be my only one and that’s all I gotta say about dat.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Where does 48th Street Custom Shop Guitars play in all this?

Whenever I’d go to Manny’s/Sam Ash I’d stop in there and watch the guys working on guitars as their workshops were right up front when you walked in. Place was stocked full of ESP’s and I’m assuming a lot were made right there?

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score

Whenever I’d go to Manny’s/Sam Ash I’d stop in there and watch the guys working on guitars as their workshops were right up front when you walked in. Place was stocked full of ESP’s and I’m assuming a lot were made right there?
I'd like to know too. There's an 87-88 New York custom shop Esp Mirage I'm eyeballing in my local classifieds and I wonder if the quality is as good as the Japanese ones.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe a mystery team grabbed my Edwards after it left Japan, stripped and refinished it to feel exactly like the E-II to confuse me when it arrived.

I know you get weird about your Edwards, but honestly thinking you can tell what and who applied a plain gloss finish is batshit insane. :lol:

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I know you get weird about your Edwards, but honestly thinking you can tell what and who applied a plain gloss finish is batshit insane. :lol:
Nah I get what he's saying. Blindfolded I would never have been able to feel the difference between the RV350AL Alexi and the two Edwards versions we had. Visually, there were some tiny differences in details. I've read Esp trains workers in all their different factories to build shit the same way.

I had a 24 fret Chinese Ltd M10 and a MII standard series at the same time and was really surprised how well the Chinese version copied the real one. Same neck profile and feel. Same body and neck shape. Even all the little angles on the blade headstock were done correctly. I know when Ltd first went to Korea in like 99-00ish, the body and headstock shapes were way off for a few years. Like AliExpress counterfeit looking shit. Like those first Korean Jacksons from the performer series. You can tell the Japanese ones from the Korean ones because the Japanese ones have the proper body shape while the Korean ones look like someone eyeballed it without having a template.

narad

Reaction score

Well I don't know what you want to know exactly, but they should be pretty comparable. I've heard accounts of 48th street making guitars, but at the same time, I heard straight from ESP that most of the Dusseldorf guitars were MIJ parts... if I have to speculate I would imagine that'd be true for NY, too. I've had both, but I don't really know what the question is.

Nah I get what he's saying. Blindfolded I would never have been able to feel the difference between the RV350AL Alexi and the two Edwards versions we had. Visually, there were some tiny differences in details. I've read Esp trains workers in all their different factories to build shit the same way.
Of course they'd train them the same, wouldn't they? Not track one group to make nice guitars and another into a "pretty good but not as nice" building method, etc. But right off the bat you can tell that's not CS fretwork, for instance.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score

Have we hit that point where, literally, everything on the internet is taken literally?

Do I need to clarify that I was referring to the same standards/finishing? Really?

Neither of them feel like alllll the Ibanez RG’s/JEM’s I’ve owned or any other brand, which have all been unique to that brand. It’s not a better/worse thing, just different. I don’t think that’s all that batshit crazy.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have we hit that point where, literally, everything on the internet is taken literally?

Do I need to clarify that I was referring to the same standards/finishing? Really?

Neither of them feel like alllll the Ibanez RG’s/JEM’s I’ve owned or any other brand, which have all been unique to that brand. It’s not a better/worse thing, just different. I don’t think that’s all that batshit crazy.

Two guitars having a similar level of fit and finish and assuming it is so because it was done by "the same people with the same products" and not due to industry standard process and materials is kinda nuts, yeah. :lol:

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Ime an LTD feels a lot more like an Esp than an Epiphone feels like a Gibson or Squire feels like a Fender. And the Japanese Jacksons had their own feel going on that I liked better than the two USA Jacksons I tried. The two Indian Jacksons I played felt the same as a bronze warlock.

')