Old 90's "Custom Guitars" ESPs

• Thread starter Swarm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Two guitars having a similar level of fit and finish and assuming it is so because it was done by "the same people with the same products" and not due to industry standard process and materials is kinda nuts, yeah. :lol:

Yeah, because all guitars across every brand have the exact same finish applied to them the same way? Whatever, man, this is fucking dumb.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, because all guitars across every brand have the exact same finish applied to them the same way? Whatever, man, this is fucking dumb.

I mean, how many clear polyester finishes do you think exist and moreover, why would they only be available exclusively for one shop in one country?

You're right, this is fucking dumb, why triple and quadruple down on it?

People just lose their minds when Edwards guitars enter the picture. Like ESP is just sitting around like "hey, let's fuck with everyone and make the same guitars but with a different logo and watch people lose it on the internet!"

I mean, that is sort of ESP's thing, but it's just too meta to be real. :lol:

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I mean, how many clear polyester finishes do you think exist and moreover, why would they only be available exclusively for one shop in one country?

You're right, this is fucking dumb, why triple and quadruple down on it?

People just lose their minds when Edwards guitars enter the picture. Like ESP is just sitting around like "hey, let's fuck with everyone and make the same guitars but with a different logo and watch people lose it on the internet!"

That's why it's better to just go ahead and do a logo swap whenever buy any sort of Esp affiliated guitar. Just sand down the headstock a bit. Put on a waterslide decal. Clear coat and wet sand. Then all of them are Esps.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's why it's better to just go ahead and do a logo swap whenever buy any sort of Esp affiliated guitar. Just sand down the headstock a bit. Put on a waterslide decal. Clear coat and wet sand. Then all of them are Esps.

I mean they're all made in the same place the same way by the same people, so why not?

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I mean they're all made in the same place the same way by the same people, so why not?
Easier than trying to explain your Edwards is just a rebranded EII that's a rebranded LTD Elite that's a rebranded Esp standard series...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Easier than trying to explain your Edwards is just a rebranded EII that's a rebranded LTD Elite that's a rebranded Esp standard series...

What, to yourself?

Anyone who cares enough to know what an ESP is, is probably going to know it's not one, and anyone who doesn't know what an ESP is isn't really going to care what the fuck it is.

Re-logoing is purely about your own ego and sensitives, which is just fine. Play guitars you think are cool. But let's be at least a little honest here. :lol:

Moongrum

Reaction score
Are people in Japan this confused about ESPs offering? 😅
Or is it just us living in Western countries are confused because we don't have actual dealers/support (outside of esp and ltd), so we just guess?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Are people in Japan this confused about ESPs offering? 😅
Or is it just us living in Western countries are confused because we don't have actual dealers/support (outside of esp and ltd), so we just guess?

I'm not sure people in Japan even care about ESP.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
What's usually more desirable there then?😂 mij Fenders?

I mean, the mainstream, probably. I see many more young jp guys playing Ibanez than ESP. Personally I think ESP is sort of a bit of a trashier brand. If I see another customer at the ESP shop, maybe they have like a black bandana and a skull ring and a bunch of chains, etc. Visual kei is dead but you still sort of have the remnants of that in the style and in the guitars.

Moongrum

Reaction score
The only folks who fetishize Japanese guitars are Westerners.
I guess, I'm surprised then. Most here seem to adore ESP and Ibanez because the music they listened to in the 80s/90s were played on those guitars. While maybe not the mainstream of guitar nerds, it feels like it's not an insignificant amount of people pining for these guitars.
Perhaps not much mainstream JP music was made with those brands at that time, I had assumed the opposite, though.
Visual kei is dead but you still sort of have the remnants of that in the style and in the guitars.
Ah, that actually makes a lot of sense. When I look at the ESP JP website, the artists have that vibe.
I've seen quite a bit of promo stuff recently with Ibanez Japanese artists who do the neo-soul/instagram oversized tshirt kind of guitar stuff, which seems to be what's favored by the current generation (regardless of geography).

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I mean, the mainstream, probably. I see many more young jp guys playing Ibanez than ESP. Personally I think ESP is sort of a bit of a trashier brand. If I see another customer at the ESP shop, maybe they have like a black bandana and a skull ring and a bunch of chains, etc. Visual kei is dead but you still sort of have the remnants of that in the style and in the guitars.
What about the Bang Dream fans and Hatsune Miku fans?

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Wow this thread exploded. I think Order Made and Original Series are the more accurate way to refer to current ESPs. I'm not sure what "custom shop" means in this context, and if you believe everything on the internet, ESP has different employees working on different things even though the ESP guitars seem to all come from the same "shop" now (I've read that working on Navigators requires more experience, is that true? Who knows).

Moongrum

Reaction score
What about the Bang Dream fans and Hatsune Miku fans?
You joke, but I was wondering about that, too 😂
A lot of people here like the uwu metal stuff like babymetal and ESPs offerings for that, and everyone here is pretty much a turbo nerd, so I thought there would be a similar demographic in JP, too.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
You joke, but I was wondering about that, too 😂
A lot of people here like the uwu metal stuff like babymetal and ESPs offerings for that, and everyone here is pretty much a turbo nerd, so I thought there would be a similar demographic in JP, too.
Nah they have reverse weebs over there. Nerds cosplaying cowboys and stuff.

Whoman Bean

Pointy only.
Reaction score
I'm long lost in the woods with those ESP stories, nor do I care, but as an owner of LTD Arrow series 1000 - what do I compare it to? 😀

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I'm long lost in the woods with those ESP stories, nor do I care, but as an owner of LTD Arrow series 1000 - what do I compare it to? 😀
Check the serial number. Is it from the Korea custom shop or the Indonesia custom shop?

')