OLD Esp M-5, Explorer guitar. Any info?

• Thread starter Asomodai
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asomodai

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I might have the chance to buy a ESP M-5 guitar, there is ZERO info on the net about the guitar, i cant even find it in any of the catalogues.

Its a Old Made in Japan Explorer, Mint green, bolt on, strat style trem, banana headstock with matching green paintjob. Serial number is XXX79. Single humbucker non slanted. Looks like a Dimarzio but no external markings. The guitar is in 9/10 condition.

Its a lovely player. Any info or what i should be paying for one?

Rob.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asomodai

Reaction score
Oh i just remembered, It didnt say M-5 It was actually M-V as in the roman numeral.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
This is what the current MV looks like.

mv-bk.jpg

No idea what you should be paying for it in the UK though, I've never seen one in the UK before.

sPliNtEr_777

Reaction score
probably a custom

from what the OP said, I would second this theory, I cant find any info on it either. :agreed:

In answer to the OP's question, I dont know when it is from, but it if is a custom shop guitar, and is in 9+/10 condition, I'd expect to see it listed for $800-$1200 USD depending on age, or more with endorsed provenence. I got an ESP M-I custom from '91 with full Ed meeks airbrush job but quite a bit wear and it cost me $500, so try your best to haggle a good price. Pay only what you think it is worth :yesway:

Asomodai

Reaction score
dscf2518.jpg

dscf2515h.jpg

dscf2514u.jpg

dscf2513.jpg

dscf2512g.jpg

dscf2510zu.jpg

dscf2509m.jpg

dscf2508d.jpg

Heres a helpful quote from someone on the ESP forum.

Alright!

Badass guitar... here's what I can tell you. Yes, it's legit. That neck is from the 1984-1985 Kramer Focus guitars, which were built by ESP. I think they must have had a bunch leftover after Kramer switched to the pointier style headstocks in 86, and I've seen those used on old ESP M-1s and a few others from that time era. ESP also didn't use Floyd Rose trems on many guitars until after 1986, so it makes sense that it has a vintage trem. And lastly... the square neckplate. Those were common on all the early ESP guitars until ESP started using the angled/sorta triangular plates on the Mirage and Horizon guitars around 1987. So... all in all, that's a super rare model from 1985-1986 or so. I've never seen that particular guitar before, but I can tell you that everything from that time era checks out and makes sense.

Not sure if i am going to buy it yet. Not sure how much its really worth.

')