OLD Fender Super Reverb amp..

• Thread starter SharkGun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SharkGun

Sir Billiardz II
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've never been very knowledgable about amps and cabs and all that stuff, but when my step mum moved in, I inherited an old Fender Super Reverb Amp. I see a few similar go for alot of money, but never do I see the same amp. The one I have has the Fender logo in WHITE, and its in the MIDDLE of the amp, not the top corner, as most Fender's are.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea about it. I never thought to look into it until recently. Nice old amp, Huge, still works mint too. Made in California, USA.

Thanks for any help!

Pics follow;

Attachments

• DSCN9456.jpg
    DSCN9456.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN9457.jpg
    DSCN9457.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • DSCN9458.jpg
    DSCN9458.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • DSCN9459.jpg
    DSCN9459.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • DSCN9460.jpg
    DSCN9460.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Well, it's definitely a Super Reverb. It's probably had the original silver grill cloth and logo replaced with the black cloth and white logo. The original amp was in production from '63-'82. In 1967, they switched to silver face cosmetics, so yours is from 1966 or earlier. (The '80-'82 ones were blackface also, but also had a master volume with a pull-activated distortion and a boost, so yours ain't one of those). It's in rough shape and I think the top 2 speakers might not be original. In decent shape and with the original grill, speakers, and logo, they go for around $1500. Yours, if it works really well, is probably worth around $1000 to the right guy. Hell, the reissue is $1700. It's likely not worth redoing the grill cloth and logo to make it look original as it's not going to add much to the value. A collector wants the original stuff and a guy who wants the sound isn't going to pay much more for a nice looking amp. If you have the tilt legs and the original footswitch, that adds a bit of value.

I'm in Vancouver also. If you're into it, I'd like to take a closer look at it and make a Kemper profile of the amp. It's not the type of thing I'd be into buying, but I know a dude who's an old Fender nut who might be into it, if you're looking to let it go.

SharkGun

Sir Billiardz II
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the info!

I actually think I gave the footswitch to a friend of mine, I might be able to get it back buut I dont really know lol, it's cool to actually know what I have. Even if the front grill cloth has been replaced, I like it like that, it's unique compared to the other ones, and these aren't the most common things around anymore.

@sage, I'm a little bit outta the way of Vancouver (Hope) I cna send you any pics you would like to make a kemper, I wasn't really looking to get rid of it desperately, but for the right thing, why ever not? xD trade potentially pending atm in fact. :)

SharkGun

Sir Billiardz II
Reaction score
Okay, I found that the serial number is "AA763" with a panel key of "A 01076"... According to online research I've done it is a 1963 - 64. I just fired her up today and the tone and reverb I get from it is unbelievable. Pedals can try, man. xD

Thing is sweet. Still has the original model sticker from purchase on the inside, as well as the side chrome FENDER emblems.

More pics here;

Attachments

• DSCN9520.jpg
    DSCN9520.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • DSCN9512.jpg
    DSCN9512.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN9511.jpg
    DSCN9511.jpg
    996 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN9514.jpg
    DSCN9514.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN9508.jpg
    DSCN9508.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Reaction score
WOW never get rid of that or you will regret it big time. If it was in better condition, say stock speakers and grill ect you would be looking at around $2000. Find some original speakers and keep it forever even if you don't play it that much. Highly sought after amp.

SharkGun

Sir Billiardz II
Reaction score
Haha I'm telling myself the same thing, but I just don't use it enough. I am no collector either. I might be trading it for a guitar here pretty soon. Shall see, though. I can't see myself keeping it though. It's collectable and vintage, but I don't cherish it enough and someone else would greatly show it more than I could. xD

I dunno. What happens happens. If the right deal comes along, I won't say no, as it's been sitting for so long now. :/

Reaction score
Im telling you, your gonna regret it. Years from now when you just wish you had the ultimate clean/crunch tone and realize you already had it. It won't be easy to find one of these again as they are few and far between. I would never trade it for an LTD guitar, ever. As the amp sits you could def get at least $1200 for it.

Reaction score
I had a 68 deluxe reverb I traded a drum set for when I was like 15. I thought it was dumb because it didn't have distortion so I hated it. I sold it in the paper for $275, dummmmmmmbbbbbbbbbbbbbb. A yr or so later I got a silverface Bassman for some reason and eventually got rid of it because I hated how it just had a vol,low and high eq and that's it. I wish I could have these back all the time. Young and dumb.

59Bassman

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, very huge mistake you'll be kicking yourself for likely for the rest of your guitar playing journey. Those amps are huge, loud, and heavy. But there is a reason they're valuable. They are timeless, sound fantastic, and fit in with a number of musical genres. Things a Korean made flying V ain't...

SharkGun

Sir Billiardz II
Reaction score
lol Nobody is offering for it xD Im hearing all of you, honestly. You should all be buying a good alexi and trading me it for this thing lol

I dunno, yet, hence why I posted on here asking opinions. The greater population say I shouldnt, and are probably very right,..

The amp is sweet, no doubt, but I never ever use it. It has been sitting since I got it, and it sat for thear 40 years before I got it. If someone will appreciate it more and use it more than me, and I get somethign I want right now in return I won't complain (for now lol) But I dont want to sell it. Id hate to sell this and buy a few mcdonalds meals and some random clothes and thigns here and there and have nothign to show for it. xD

59Bassman

Contributor
Reaction score
Just my HO for context on that amp. I'm guessing this will be fingernails on a chalkboard for you, but try listen to something like The Fabulous Thunderbirds "Full Time Lover" or "Wait on Time". Maybe Ronnie Earl's version of "Round Midnight". Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Texas Flood" album was either a Super Reverb or a Vibroverb (similar, but with a 15" speaker) That sound - a Stratocaster into a hot Super Reverb can't be matched. The tight bass, the bloom around the notes - no other way to get there.

What you appear to have is a "Blackface" Super Reverb. Those are the most desirable of them. Fender has reissued them, but they won't be the same. That's a handwired amp in a good old-growth pine cabinet. Can't get there anymore for under about $2,500 in a new amp.

Try it with something like a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret and it'll be close to a Marshall. Or keep it for your old age when you become a blues nazi like everyone else...

If you must get rid of it, and were looking for what to do with it, I wouldn't trade that amp for anything that wasn't a MIJ or MIA model. I'd consider a used "real" ESP (not an LTD) or an Ibanez Prestige a fair trade. Maybe a PRS CE if you're into pretty wood.

It's a great amp to have around, I wouldn't off it unless it was something pretty special.

Latest posts

')