Old Jazz Guy joins up

• Thread starter awesomeargos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

awesomeargos

37 years on ax
Reaction score
Hi every one I am almost new here so i wanted to say hi and good jammin on that 7.
I have been playing for over 35 years I started with blues and rock (I saw Hendrix I saw Cream) I still go see Jeff Beck when he is near by and I think the Metal Fatigue disk is still the best in that genre.
I studied flamenco and classic guitar technique and have pretty well integrated it all into the Jazz that I love so much today. awesomeargos.com no over dubbing!
I have met several times over the years with Tal Farlow, Barny Kessel,Herb Ellis, Joe Pass,Howard Alden and the man that started it all George Van Eps. :bowdown:
I also count among my friends many fine masters of other non guitar related instruments and talents from Kung Fu to Plants to Phds. As well has some street poets and the odd hobo or two.
I picked up my first 7 string over a decade ago and have never put it down since that day. I am always happy to give advice. In fact I am said by those who know me to be full of it.:nuts:
Please check out my web site from time to time as I will be adding some cool tracks from my last CD as well as some sheet music of my originals.
Does anyone know some good sheet music software chord simbols and grids etc..that wont cost my left arm?
I have been lucky lately to be playing some truly fine musicians Paul Mc Candles of Oregon and Paul winter fame and our bass master Al Strong who was the original bassist with the Sons of Champlain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
:wavey: welcome dude

also, lets see some pictures of that fine ibby jazz box eh? :D

awesomeargos

37 years on ax
Reaction score
Joe Pass in the 70s was a totally cool cigar smoking jazz cat, bebop'n for fun at Dante's on his off time from the studios. He was very kind always stopping at our table and rappin a bit.He even let me tape him with Herby and gang on my pathetic mono cassette recorder and those tapes (over 24hrs) are a testament to his more melodic hungry days and Ellis was the ideal foil for him.:shred: Much Later he well i don't like to say but he had sad problems- don't put anything but your finger up your nose!:wallbash:
He called a friend and said i don't remember how to play anymore i can't play anymore -and died a few day's later.
I love early Joe Pass. Does anyone have his obscure Gutar Prealudes album I only have the cover as someone swiped it somewhere along the line.:rant:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

Thanks for the story about Pass, even hough it was pretty depressing.

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
the force :bowdown: is with you my friend :yoda: & :welcome: to the best forum for us 7 stringers in Web Land, lots of info & knoledge :wavey:

awesomeargos

37 years on ax
Reaction score
Yeah Joe was always sayin stuff like "This is Jazz I don't work anything out in advance..I mean you can do that some of the guys do that(in L.A.) .and thats great..but thats not Jazz i think what I'm playing hear tonight is Jazz."
One night after he and Herby ripped each other to shreds on some old standard Pass grabbed the mike and said "all we need to make the big time are some intros and endings!
On another occasion- let me make this clear some times they talked about what they would play next but usually Herb or Joe would just launch the tune and the other would "simply"start to play it without discussion.
- so this one time Herb starts playing and Joe backs him up all sounding great with unusual rhythmic counterpoint going on between them when they were done playing Herb asks Joe "what song were you playing?" Joe asks Herb 'Well what song were you playing?" they both realized they were playing different tunes at the same time and somehow making them fit then Herb ,I think it was herb said "well they sound pretty good good together." and they both started laughing.

Latest posts

')