Old meshuggah

• Thread starter Espaul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    meshuggah
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Espaul

Reaction score
I didn't find a thread about this.

Amongst my friends I hear a lot of dislike about old meshuggah.
But I feel as old meshuggah is just like old Opeth. Awsome in another way!

So if you like it, express it :D I want to know if I'm the only one left that likes the old stuff!

Here are a couple of awsome songs:
Gods of rapture:

Choirs of devestation:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I do like some older Meshuggah, but I prefer the change of style to newer stuff, as well as the better production. Chaosphere doesn't sound good to me, but it has some brilliant tracks. D.E.I is sick though.

jem777az

Reaction score
While I love all Meshuggah, I actually prefer the older stuff. Chaosphere and Destroy Erase Improve are their best IMO. I also think they actually sounded heavier when they were playing 7 strings as opposed to 8 strings.

Espaul

Reaction score
I don't know what I like best, but their newer stuff sounds way more clinical (in material) and makes me reluctant to listen to as much of it.

I would say I find the newer stuff way more heavy, but the old stuff grooves and has more melodies, elements and stuff

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
The old stuff just reminds me of Metallica, and I hate Metallica. Chaosphere onwards is juicy though.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Chaosphere, the original Nothing mix, and I is where it's at.

Though I love everything they've done.

cypher_xl

7 String Samurai
Reaction score
Older Meshuggah is what newer Metallica can only wish to be hehe. But the vocals really do sound inspired by Hetfield tho.

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
I made an old vs new Meshuggah thread a while ago however I am always keen to talk about them :)

Chaosphere and DEI are great albums. None is awesome as well. :hbang:

Seeing the Transfixion video clip for the first time and listening to Sane off the route 666 album really got me into them. I prefer the "chaotic" style they had previously. (Sane, Transfixion etc).

Not the biggest fan of CC. Although there's a softer song on there which is pretty cool. track 9?

In saying this I have all of their albums and Obzen was AWESOME! :bowdown:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some songs from CC play on my Pandora pretty regularly and no matter how many times I hear them, as soon as it comes on, I SPRING for the phone to see who/what it is. :lol:

Definitely good in a different way than more current Meshuggah. Both equally as amazing, and the more current iteration being possibly more innovative (we're talking Chaosphere and up), but still sick in it's own right. I really need to pickup a copy of CC. :yesway:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like all periods really.
I'd say musically that 'CatchThirtythree' is my favorite musically, but their early period was still slammin'

')