Old meshuggah

• Thread starter Espaul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    meshuggah
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I like all their stuff too be honest... They changed a lot, yea... But I think most ppl don't like a lot of their newer stuff because of plethora of bands that came out around and after Catch 33 that sounded EXACTLY like that. When Meshuggah was newer their sound was new and exciting too. Well actually... They sounded a lot like Metallica w different tone to me in their early days tbh but that's just me...

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
dei and chaosphere were 2 of my favorites. i found obZen to be ridiculously sterile honestly (though i liked it)

as brainart has put to me:

new meshuggah = swedish robots
old meshuggah = swedes operating robots

:D

Wolfster

Reaction score
i feel that Contradictions Collide is the best Meshuggah album... don;t know if that's just me but its just a near perfect album.

Contradictions Collapse.

But yes I agree. It was them at their most inventive with no holds barred. Solos are amazing. Drumming is amazing - Tomas at his best. Shame about the vocals though. Once you get over the vocals and Production its awesome.

primerib

Reaction score
Contradictions Collapse and None were epic to me. Super aggressive catchy. Much more catchy than anything they've done in years. A great band indeed

Mn3mic

Reaction score
While I love all Meshuggah, I actually prefer the older stuff. Chaosphere and Destroy Erase Improve are their best IMO. I also think they actually sounded heavier when they were playing 7 strings as opposed to 8 strings.

Agreed.
The newer stuff seems to get way too much chaos and less grove on the table.
Destroy Erase Improve ftw! :shred:

Reaction score
First I ever heard of the band was on the Death Is Just The Begining 4 video vhs. I was Completely blown away by the Transfixion song! This was around 97-98 I gather. I then proceeded to find a cd of theirs at my local metal store and picked up NONE. Thought it was great but still didn't catch me like D E I did when I heard it. I had to order that cd. Chaosphere was too fast and chaotic for me. DEI will forever be my favorite. This was the same vhs that introduced me to In Flames as well. Great time in music for me.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So yeah, Chaosphere is pretty awesome too.

I was shoveling snow this morning, and one of my neighbors was running their snowblower. The snowblower's motor wasn't holding a steady idle and it kept revving and wilting and it sounded just like the riff to this song. Much like having to listen to the snowblower, it would be nice to have some variation every minute or two while listening to it.

ultranoob

Reaction score
favorites aside - i appreciate the fact that their sound is always evolving and I can always expect something new and interesting from the band

Reaction score
I find a lot of their older material had more riffage to it. I dig both old and new Meshuggah, but I don't know what I like best.

Homebrew1709

Reaction score
I think Meshuggah was at their peak when they did DEI. I liked how they incorporated Holdsworth-esque leads into the thrashy, heavy sections and also into softer sections like in Sublevels. Their newer stuff just doesn't hold my interest as much.

')