Old meshuggah

• Thread starter Espaul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    meshuggah
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antimatter

Reaction score
DEI is probably my favorite album by them, and even though it seems a lot of people don't like it very much, I think ObZen was very good.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kavnar

Reaction score
I listen to the older stuff and the newer stuff like it's two different bands, but I can't compare them. Both really creative, both really innovative and both stand out in their own right.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Chaosphere and D.E.I. are the only Meshuggah I can listen to. People complain about how crabcore kids should have guitars with only two strings tuned to G and C, but you could say the same thing about new Meshuggah :shrug: Two strings, 30" scale, low F and Bb.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I also think they actually sounded heavier when they were playing 7 strings as opposed to 8 strings.

yep. just like Nevermore sounded ten times heavier tuned to E flat compared to their seven string era.

there's something about that mid-late 90s early 2000s production that was just heavier and more pummeling than production today. Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black, Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait, Meshuggah - Chaosphere are some of the best sounding metal records ever for me.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
Noone's mentioned Catch 33 yet? :scratch:
Easily my favorite Messhuggah album

That might be because the thread is titled "Old Meshuggah" and Catch 33 came out 5 years ago.

To me Chaosphere is their best album and Concatenation their best song.
They kinda stood still after Chaosphere until ObZen popped out.

I do not approve of how they just went sludgy mid-tempo for ten years, even if I can find a good separate track here and there.

ObZen is the album that should have followed Chaosphere imo. Screw computer drums and drone tempo :lol:

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
hard to pick a best song from Chaosphere honestly, but it's between Concatenation, The Mouth Licking... and Sane

guitareben

Reaction score
For me, they keep on getting better :D , there newer stuff is great (IMO of-course). :D

Nothing is just amazing, though it has to be the remastered version :D

Catch 33 is also amazing, one of my fav's, if not my favorite

ObZen is really good too!!!!!

Richie666

Reaction score
Their early stuff is cool (CC through DEI), but I feel like they gained a lot of character and heaviness with Chaosphere and beyond.

It's some awesome twisted thrashy material though

Pove

FURST
Reaction score
i feel that Contradictions Collide is the best Meshuggah album... don;t know if that's just me but its just a near perfect album.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
imo old is anything 3 or more years old (as far as music goes) but thats just me :shrug:

So Metallica's "St. Anger" is technically old to you, even though it's their 2nd most recent album?

troyguitar

Reaction score
I like their old stuff WAY WAY more than the more recent stuff. They used to actually have some melody in their music :lol:

B36arin

Reaction score
IMO the line between old and new Meshuggah is Chaosphere. Anything pre Chaosphere is old, anything post Chaosphere is new, Chaosphere is just awesome. Old Meshuggah and new Meshuggah is different, and I love both. I do think that DEI and Chaosphere are the best productions that they've had.

')