Old preamps with cabinet IR's

• Thread starter Aztec
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aztec

On a perennial quest
Reaction score
Is anyone using old preamps, like an GSP 2101 for example, with cabinet IR's and getting a good tone, especially a good distorted tone? Cabinet modelling and IR's have come a long way since then and I'm just wondering.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jeb

Reaction score
I used an old peavey rockmaster with impulses:hbang: and it was awesome!!!!

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Check out my SC page - ton of those there:

Soundcloud.com/themammonmachine

tuttermuts

Reaction score
I used the gsp for a quite a while with impulses and whatnot. And it does a decent job. Now I'm using an engl e530 and it sounds better, more focussed. But certainly if you have an old gsp lying around, hoock it up and mess around with it. Lots of fun stuff to be done. I will say however for me it lacks just a tad "dept" compared to the engl (soundwise). The tube distortion setting is useable, the other one (dunno it's name, used in the deathmetal setting) has more gain, but at the same time also hard to scape.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I used IRs with success with these : Engl e620, Carvin Quad X-Amp and a Rocktron Piranha.
They all require some tweaking like comp/gate and some EQ but nothing too complicated.

Aztec

On a perennial quest
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. :)
I have a Digitech Valve FX that I'm selling, but I'm really starting to second guess whether to sell it or not. Might be an old unit, but it sounds great and I guess I could get really good tones with IR's. Just have to wait until I get my new audio interface.

tuttermuts

Reaction score
I'd say keep it around for a while. I've been trying to sell the gsp 2101 every now and then, but then at the same time, I do plug it in every now and then when I'm experimenting.

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
I use a modded ADA MP-1 in conjunction with Axe Fx II just for cab sim. Sounds awesome!

700298cc6a3911e2b6fe22000a9f12db_7.jpg

PF Chang

Reaction score
The old Palmer speaker sim, which is as old if not older than those preamps, is still great.

')