Oldschool Guthrie Govan Footage

• Thread starter ittoa666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
while GG is a hell of a player, i find his playing so boreing. its all flash and not any meat. great clip none the less

As much as i wish i didnt, i completly agree.

The intro to waves is great but the rest is *just* shred to me.
i do like Fives however. tricky bugger to play right :lol:

CapenCyber

Reaction score
As much as i wish i didnt, i completly agree.

The intro to waves is great but the rest is *just* shred to me.
i do like Fives however. tricky bugger to play right :lol:

I agree entirely too.
I listened to his album a few times when I got to meet him a few years back (lovely chap too), I was really impressed with it for a few listens but it lacks "meat" as 7SoH says.

I just get bored of his playing now every time I hear it.

I can't be the only person on here who is no longer impressed with solely being able to play fast, do difficult techniques and play in weird time signatures? Maybe I'm getting old.

Yeah Djent is crap too.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
I think upon seeing Guthrie we can all agree he is
our Lord and Savior.

Meanwhile,
\offtopictalk

DJENT IS NOT A GENRE.
Can we all get over this?

/offtopictalk

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The one place I can see that people complain about Govan having "no meat" would be that he revisits the "themes" to his songs less often than a lot of instrumentalists. You look at a guy like Satriani or Eric Johnson, and the theme is very apparent (which ultimately serves as the chorus). Govan still does this but his "theme riffs" are usually a little more abstract in nature, and occur a little less often in my observation. :2c:

Also, yeah, he does a lot of finger gymnastics which usually sound pretty impressive to the trained ear but aren't as melodically dominant (ie. compared to "For The Love of God" by Vai). I don't take issue with it but I could see how his style misses the mark for people who either "don't get it" or on the opposite side of the spectrum (and seems to be the case here, mostly), people who are burned out on "shred". He's not exactly Chris Impellitteri as far as wanking goes... I can appreciate how he dips in and out of styles tastefully (bluegrass, blues, metal, fusion), but his longer stretches definitely have some :flex:ing going on.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Being a moderator on here, I get beat over the fucking head constantly with this "SSO is a djent site" "Periphery.org" "Djent is boring and sucks" stuff so much, especially from people who don't even hang around here enough to see the full range of music on this site.

They (Chris and Capen both in this case) lob this "djent sucks" stuff out there totally to troll the place because they have a demeaning view of the posters here (like we're all hive-minded djent heads) and try to use their apparently "superior taste in music" to stare down their nose at us. Along with that, you have posters here that get offended (and rightfully so) when faced with the insults and we get bickering threads that travel WAY too far off-topic. I'm not putting up with that shit, so we're just not going there anymore.

End of discussion. Back to the original thread.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Being a moderator on here, I get beat over the fucking head constantly with this "SSO is a djent site" "Periphery.org" "Djent is boring and sucks" stuff so much, especially from people who don't even hang around here enough to see the full range of music on this site.

They (Chris and Capen both in this case) lob this "djent sucks" stuff out there totally to troll the place because they have a demeaning view of the posters here (like we're all hive-minded djent heads) and try to use their apparently "superior taste in music" to stare down their nose at us. Along with that, you have posters here that get offended (and rightfully so) when faced with the insults and we get bickering threads that travel WAY too far off-topic. I'm not putting up with that shit, so we're just not going there anymore.

I think thats the resulting difference between a Music-based site and Gear-based site. They care about the final result while we focus on what gets us there.

Edit: Damn you and and your Edits. :lol: I'll shut up now.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:lol:

It's alright. Either way, we've confronted the elephant in the room, now back on subject.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
istockphoto_2196907-elephant-in-the-room.jpg

Mo' guthrie mo' prolems.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
I really didn't even like the video that much, but GG with a Caparison is cool.

Anyway, I was watching other vids and this one's so sick

The chromatic bit at 0:46 is SO good. Such a tasteful guitarist.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score

CapenCyber

Reaction score
They (Chris and Capen both in this case) lob this "djent sucks" stuff out there totally to troll the place because they have a demeaning view of the posters here (like we're all hive-minded djent heads) and try to use their apparently "superior taste in music" to stare down their nose at us.

Oh rubbish.

We have not at all claimed that we have a superior music taste. 7SoH only said something that wasn't positive of GG and was confronted with:

"you're out of your mind"
"you are either trolling or you deserve pity"
etc.

We were not hostile at all. This place really has gone down the tubes if a discussion about anything now can only be one-way positive stuff. I agree that a few topics on here have descended into bickering in some threads, but to then impose a blanket ban on those topics is simply moronic.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My comments were confined specifically to the the "djent" mentions. The GG thing is a matter of your own taste, so more power to you.

EDIT:

Yeah Djent is crap too.

Oh, and i dont like djent either.

*let the dog pile ensue* :lol:

The thread wasn't about that. If this was a thread titled "What stuff do you not like?" then those would be welcome criticisms. It's not. TimSE doesn't like GG either and he didn't get a warning because he didn't rope in something unrelated as bait.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
:pickle:

Can we talk about his fucking impeccable taste in guitars?

10175_700.jpg

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
Whether you like the guy's playing or not, the dude's absolutely a genius when it comes to technique.

Randy, your crazy about the rusty cooly comment. I HAVE commented a COUPLE of times and said the exact thing you just said. That you may not like the guy, but his chops are serious.

JUST like i said about GG in my first post:spock:

')