Oldschool Guthrie Govan Footage

• Thread starter ittoa666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I am almost never a fan of zebra pickup layouts, but damn!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score

:43 to 1:30
That kind of explains my point. But nobody is gonna dog DEVY when he says it. so there :lol:

I'l be quiet now. But not completely agreeing with the groups likes doesnt designate trolling.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Randy, your crazy about the rusty cooly comment. I HAVE commented a COUPLE of times and said the exact thing you just said. That you may not like the guy, but his chops are serious.

JUST like i said about GG in my first post:spock:

I must be remembering the context incorrectly (and I don't mean that sarcastically) but I thought I remembered you saying that "some people don't want to hear/play melodic stuff. Sometimes they just want to hear shred full speed with no emotion". That's paraphrased, of course, but I was under the impression you said something to that effect. If not, my apologies. You're very right... Rusty's technique is amazing.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score

:43 to 1:30
That kind of explains my point. But nobody is gonna dog DEVY when he says it. so there :lol:.

I don't think people are disagreeing with the fact that drilling away non-stop can get boring and is unentertaining, but the disagreement is that THAT'S what GG does. I outlined my feelings on it a little earlier in the thread.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
I must be remembering the context incorrectly (and I don't mean that sarcastically) but I thought I remembered you saying that "some people don't want to hear/play melodic stuff. Sometimes they just want to hear shred full speed with no emotion". That's paraphrased, of course, but I was under the impression you said something to that effect. If not, my apologies. You're very right... Rusty's technique is amazing.

Well, i totally may have said that actually. And i agree, but i dont think of GG so much as a shredder i guess, more of a guitar wanker.

Like i said. I'l shut up now :)

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
I don't think people are disagreeing with the fact that drilling away non-stop can get boring and is unentertaining, but the disagreement is that THAT'S what GG does.

Exactly. Id say anyone who seriously thinks that his playing is all speed and no substance cant have heard much of him. On average I see him play live about once a month, have done for the last few years now, and he's got to be one of the most melodic players out there. Im not trying to label him as the Best Guitarist in The World, as there's no such thing, but as far as melody and phrasing goes, Id say he's easily in the same leagues as Jeff Beck and Shawn Lane, who are both big influences of his. Just because a guitarist plays super-fast, that doesnt automatically make it tasteless shred. As someone else said earlier, if Guthrie's playing is 'boring' then Id love to see what actually does constitute 'interesting' playing!

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I really didn't even like the video that much, but GG with a Caparison is cool.

Anyway, I was watching other vids and this one's so sick

The chromatic bit at 0:46 is SO good. Such a tasteful guitarist.

I cant get enough of this video. He has such a flow to his licks. :bowdown:

My favorite thing about him is how he switches styles within his solos. He can be fusion in one lick, bluesy in another, and downright metal as fuck in the next. He has such versatility compared to other players out there.

And yes tasteful is absolutely the best word to describe his playing :yesway:

Zak1233

Contributor
Reaction score
I lol'd at 'fanboys' :lol:

Anyway, the man never ceases to amaze, was nice seeing him play a Caparison too!

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
The trouble with Guthrie and many others is that they vary their style, you may love something they do and hate another part. Easily done, but it is easy to see he has a great mastery of the instrument, and a lot to share and inspire with other guitarists.

I call it "Shawn Lane Syndrome", love it or hate it, anyone can clearly see he was the best player. His music is interpreted by the individual but anyone can see his technique is on another level. I think that could apply to Guthrie, but I prefer Andy James whilst discussing British guys famed for their technique rather than the bands their in or the music they make.

What has the internet done to music fans??? :wallbash:

Latest posts

')