On-pedalboard poweramps

• Thread starter thedarkvector
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
One thing that bugs me about the tiny poweramps is they need a giant laptop power supply that is 3x the size the amp. Seems to negate the purpose of it being small
That's a definite negative. However, for the ones that take a DC barrel jack, depending on the type it's easy to buy an adapter that lets you run it off any guitar power supply.

I've hooked mine up to a 1spot just to see if it'd work. Currently I'm powering it with a Strymon Ojai with a voltage doubler to get it 18v.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rex

Reaction score
My old EHX Magnum 44 works for me, it has enough volume for rehearsals with a metal drummer and never let me down . The Harley Benton caught my attention but I've read several reviews talking about some reliability and volume issues

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
I know some folks dismiss the amps like the Powerstage and say it's overpriced and you can just make due with something more simple, but after having used a lot of different amp options for powering a pedalboard and/or modeler, I have to say I've gotten quite fond of being able to do more than just power it by having things like the EQ section and the Presence control added like on the PS-200 and 100. Not having to worry about going into my Helix to tweak the EQ and being able to make little changes on the fly using the Powerstage 200 controls is a bonus that makes it worth it to me. Plus it just uses a regular amp power cord and doesn't have a big ass power supply adding more bulk and weight to it. Otherwise yeah when just needing something more simple and less frills I've been able to use the Magnum 44 for gigs just fine, and it's plenty loud in most cases (though I overall prefer the sound of the Powerstage especially with my Helix), but when space and weight are an issue and I want to keep it as simple as possible, the EHX 44 worked just fine. I'd checked out that Harley Benton too but yeah I heard a load of horror stories about them having some issues, I guess you get what you paid for there, heh. And the Orange Pedal Baby was a bit bulkier than I wanted and it tended to get very hot to the touch when running it for a long show or rehearsal so I rarely use that.

Reactions: Rex

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The SD Powerstage just uses an ICEPower amp board in an enclosure.

You could make something similar easily by buying an ICEPower amp board and buying something like these Ghent Audio boxes to stick it in.
Those are very cool, a neat project for someone in need of a compact amp.
So, I've done this not long ago. I have the PS700, the PS200, and I made my own super-basic amp with an ICEpower 50ASX2BTL. This exercise leaves me appreciating the Powerstage that much more, because it's not quite "just" an ICEpower board. The input level, volume attenuation, passive cooling, etc. are figured out for you, and you're not at risk of breaking it or setting something on fire or electrocuting yourself, etc. You CAN just jam an ICEpower module in a box and call it a day, but what you end up with is not quite the same.

I've said it in other threads before - I think the biggest downside to the small class-D amps is that you lose headroom really quickly with impedance mismatches. Putting the PS200 through a good 4x12 at 4ohms can sound pretty beastly, but put it through a 16ohm 2x12 (say, for example, a PPC212) and you might be in clipping territory by the time you're loud enough to be heard on a stage next to a loud drummer.

complex-barb.0t

Reaction score
A used Blackstar Amped 1 is a good poweramp that puts out 100w even with 16ohm. It is pretty flexible with different power amp sims (6l6, el34 and linear). The Quilter stuff I want to try one day.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
So, I've done this not long ago. I have the PS700, the PS200, and I made my own super-basic amp with an ICEpower 50ASX2BTL. This exercise leaves me appreciating the Powerstage that much more, because it's not quite "just" an ICEpower board. The input level, volume attenuation, passive cooling, etc. are figured out for you, and you're not at risk of breaking it or setting something on fire or electrocuting yourself, etc. You CAN just jam an ICEpower module in a box and call it a day, but what you end up with is not quite the same.

I've said it in other threads before - I think the biggest downside to the small class-D amps is that you lose headroom really quickly with impedance mismatches. Putting the PS200 through a good 4x12 at 4ohms can sound pretty beastly, but put it through a 16ohm 2x12 (say, for example, a PPC212) and you might be in clipping territory by the time you're loud enough to be heard on a stage next to a loud drummer.
You touch on something here that is fundamental to the physics of power amps, namely that the ability to handle big transients cleanly requires fast power on tap. This really only comes with a big-assed PSU with high capacity/slew rate capacitors. Then, when you apply that power, you need to be able to handle the heat generated, meaning heatsinks/fans.

Shask

Reaction score

Just depends on how you use it. If you use a preamp, like a modeler, it should handle the output levels, etc...

It woudnt work as well if plugging in pedals. You would need something to exist as a preamp, like an EQ pedal, right before the input.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Just depends on how you use it. If you use a preamp, like a modeler, it should handle the output levels, etc...
I was using an FM3 with the levels staged to be hot, but below clipping the input of the PS (out 2, -4 line level, volume knob maxed). Through a PPC212 at a show, using a not unreasonably bass-heavy preset (a Mark IV model), and I turned up as far as I could go without the output clip light staying constantly on - I couldn't hear myself on stage over the drums. And I'm not the type to scoop all my mids out - I'm a weirdo who keeps the Mark middle sliders pretty high.

')