On the fence about getting a Mesa cab, should I fall forward or back?

• Thread starter Rev2010
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
Mesa makes great cabs. But ~$1000 compared to $400 used and nicely broken in?

^ This. The point about the speakers being broken in is huge. If you haven't heard this cab already, even if you buy it and play it, you're not really going to find out what it sounds like until you get some hours on those speakers.

On another note, I'd recommend checking out a used Orange cab if you can find one. From my experience they also bring the low end you'd expect from a Mesa cab, but to my ears, are a bit tighter and more focused.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So I've been thinking of getting a Mesa cab lately, I have a Triple Rectifier head for years on top a B-52 AT412 cab (which I have for sale in the classifieds to make room). Might have a hard time selling it because I don't want to ship, local pickup only.

Anyhow, a Mesa cab is $1062 with the shipping cost from Sweetwater. The B-52 cab I've been using all this time sounds pretty good, but it lacks that bass punch that I always got in the studio... though then again that could be merely a result of the much lower volumes I play at being in my house. I'm wondering if I should drop the cash and how much of a difference I will see. I don't have any stores really around me that I can try the cabinet (standard oversize) but I've played them in studios in the past and have really liked them.

I guess at this point my main concern is dropping $1062 and just not finding too much a difference. I'm not gigging with it or anything (way far away from getting a metal band together, just me at the moment). What do you all think? I know I will definitely own one someday regardless and I can drop the cash now, won't hurt me or anything. But should I wait until there is more reason to get one, has anyone been able to try both a Mesa standard cab and a B-52 cab that can lend an opinion on the difference?

I also feel with the B-52 cab I'm missing that low end growl.

Rev.

I agree with your initial gutt feeling... The B-52 AT412 has no bottom end so theres a whole pantleg flapping dimension to your amp you're totally missing. Stop kidding yourself and get the oversized straight Mesa cabinet. I need them for my 6505+ heads but for now I just dial back the bass...:noplease:

T-e-r-r-y

Reaction score
I think you'll be really happy with your new cab!
I made a little deal with Santa and was able to get my hands on a recto compact 2x12.
It sounds absolutely magnificent, it's easy to move and it looks really smart. :)

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Well guys, I've had the cab for a couple of weeks now and I have to say... what a huuuge difference! I was a bit worried that I'd drop a grand and only have a little bit of difference in sound and such. The difference is night and day. The MESA cab pumps and growls, just what I was missing. I've actually been playing more guitar lately as a result, even practicing more, which I really needed to get back to doing and am now getting into a routine. This cab can really make the house shake, just as I always remembered when playing through them in studios many years ago.

My one regret is that I didn't listen to the wife when I bought the head. She, like my father-in-law (RIP), has the mentality of "Get it once, be happy, and be done with it!". I had originally went with the B-52 half stack setup and returned the head but kept the cab because it did sound pretty good and was so darn large and heavy that the return shipping was going to be expensive. When I bought the Mesa Triple head she said, "Why don't you get the cab too?". I shied away saying I have a cab and the price would make it too high. This was many years ago and I always wanted the cab since. So it's good to have it and be happy, and more so to see a world of difference! :hbang:

When time comes around that I've got most of a song written and recorded with it I will post a Soundcloud clip and cross link in this thread. I tried an Avantone CR-14 ribbon on it and it was good but I returned it since my Rode NT1000 sounds way better on it (which I hadn't expected) - much more open midrange and clarity.

Rev.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
^touche' all the way

Curious which cab (straight or slant), and what speakers (v30 or c90)???
Definetly NO wrong answer here.

EricSVT18

Reaction score
Get a used Mesa. Great deals can be found. I actually just picked up a used good condition Mesa 2x12 for $200. I couldn't believe it.

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
'Buy once, cry once' :hbang:

It is cheaper in the long run and you spend more time being happy and less time buying and selling stuff you don't love as much.

Glad you're happy with your cab. Mesa cabs are great.

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
I own a mesa recto cab. I gotta say that the bottom end comes from its ability to handle alot of bottom end. V30's are very, very clear sounding. If you want snarly, pummeling bottom end, look for a marshall 1960 with gt12-75 speakers in them. They are cheap, very common and they are just amazing for 5150'ish amps.. In my honest opinion..

But apart from that. Happy NCD! The mesa's are just the top of the pop in my book, especially paired with a rectifier cab.
I gunned up in december and got myself a Dual Rec head. I will never change anything in that setup. Apart from broken parts =)

Latest posts

')