One does not simply flutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

trem licking

Reaction score
lowest number of springs possible and lowest gauge strings you can stand will be the best scenario for the flutter. high mass trem via heavy block helps, and a tight bar is essential. 6 strings flutter best as already said but i've had an 8 string floyd fluttering like butter, so string number isn't the hugest factor. also, lube the knife edges with chapstic for overall better performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I should start a GoFundMe to see if I can raise enough money to do the study. I'd need four as-identical-as-possible trem-equipped guitars with different bridges, as well as three sets of strings for each, and multiple different springs. Then I'd have to do a shitload of fluttering and model the damping factors from the waveforms to see how well the theory matched the empirical data. It's probably cost a few grand and take at least several months to finish, though.

Reaction score
... and you get to keep the guitars... best part of the deal! :D

@trem licking, you're right on that part of keeping the arm tight and I follow the same idea

... now back to your (everyone) fluttering technique, how do you do it/relate to what I've posted before?

DjentyBoi7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I know this reply is super late, but hear me out.

Hmmmm, I think I have an idea. Check out this: That guitar has the best flutter I've ever heard, and it's a 7 string. And, get this: it has a longer 26.5" scale length, and so does that guitar with the Edge Zero from earlier in the thread. I'm beginning to think that maybe scale length has a say in how well a 7 string floating tremolo flutters. One idea could be that because a longer scale length allows you to have thinner string gauge, it helps the bridge flutter, but however the string tension would still remain similar to a 25.5" with normal strings so that's probably wrong. This whole scale length this is just me connecting the dots, so I could be totally wrong, but it could actually have something to do with the flutter.

ixlramp

Reaction score
I have a physics degree and bostjan seems to have the right idea.
So to answer the question, Kahlers do not flutter (much) because they lack mass, no big trem block. A heavy trem arm might help as mentioned earlier.
High mass is needed for high momentum to make the trem repeatedly 'overshoot', resulting in some oscillation before coming to rest. The mass and momentum needs to be high to overcome the damping effect of springs and trem pivot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')