One piece necks for 7 string - strong enough?

• Thread starter 127.0.0.1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
dpmasunder said:
I'm not at all surprised to hear that :agreed:

May I ask why? I'm going to decide if I want a one piece neck or 5 piece on a Carvin DC727 (or maybe the new RG1527)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go one piece maple myself, though the woods they list are quite stable. Walnut is the most similar of those to maple so might be fine, koa is nice too. Go with the oil finish option, but if you do get 5-piece expect to feel the glue lines sooner or later.
I love Carvins, used to have an '88 DC maple through maple. Best guitar I ever had 'cept it was a six :noway:

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
To actually answer your question, why?, woods like bubinga and wenge are notoriously difficult to season (dry) properly and move around a heap if they aren't. See the first page for more.

jski7

Reaction score
dpmasunder said:
To actually answer your question, why?, woods like bubinga and wenge are notoriously difficult to season (dry) properly and move around a heap if they aren't. See the first page for more.

Some people have said that they can actually feel the strips "swell" from day to day . One day the neck is smooth , and the next they can feel the two strips running down the neck ! :eek: That's kinda freaky . Mine's not that bad , but like I said , it does like to bow .

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, that's the the different woods absorbing moisture at different rates, rock maple is really tight grained stable stuff, wood stain won't even penetrate it properly. What they use on figured tops when they stain directly is big leaf maple, which is softer than rock maple.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Padauk's stable. I get to see Warwicks shitting themselves with regularity.
I kind of pride myself as not being a traditionalist when it comes to guitars and guitar construction, but rock maple is a damn good neck wood simple as that

jski7

Reaction score
Yeah , as far as utility , I'll take my 7620 every time . It never let's me down , and most importantly , it's consistent . The K7 is great , and I've gotten used to it . It just takes a little more tweaking a little more often . So , I'll officially state that I'd prefer 1 piece over 3 or 5 piece . :cool:

')