"One Song Per Key" Project

screamindaemon

Overlord of Music
Reaction score
Good morning all.

I had an idea pop into my head last night while noodling around.

I want to create a folder of songs, and then organize them by key.
I want this to help me with chords, fretboard knowledge, chord progressions, CAGE, etc.

So rather than scour books, magazines and internet for songs in specific keys, I thought I would ask the help of you fine gentlemen and ladies for input.

I'm looking for a variety of styles of music, in a bunch of different major and minor keys.
I would prefer to stick with standard tuning. My justification for this is that so many alternate are just standard transposed down.
I'm flexible on this if people make a good case for it (open G, straight 4ths, etc), but the goal was to stick with standard tuning.

I want to group songs into their Major/Rel. Minor pairs.

I'll work on formatting later if I get more songs, and people want to contribute to this.

I hope this is clear, and that people are interested in helping with this idea.

I was playing Satch "Always With Me, Always With You" when I got this idea, so I will start with that:

A#/Gm
A /F#m
G#/Fm
G /Em
F#/D#m
F /Dm
E /C#m
D#/Cm
D /Bm
C#/A#m
C /Am
B /G#m Satch "Always with me, always with you"

Something like that. More options per key is always good.

I hope you all like this idea and make it work for your own learning too.

Also, if mods want this in the Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques section, that's cool too. I couldn't decide which section to put this in.

Feel free to add questions or comments.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cfrank

Reaction score
Pretty much Octavarium. Each song is based on a key.

"When writing, the band delegated each song a different key. Sound effects were placed between songs to connect them: for example, "The Root of All Evil", written in F, and the following track, "The Answer Lies Within", written in G, were connected by a sound effect in the key of F#"

eventhetrees

What's a Panini?
Reaction score
Orbs - ECLIPSICAL [E-Minor]

It's safe to say that this song was and is my baby. All throughout the writing of the album, I kept teasing Adam and Ashley with ideas of this absolutely outrageous song in E-minor that I had been working on, and they were just like, "Yeah, great." After we finished writing "Something Beautiful," I finally unleashed all 14 minutes and five seconds of this song on them exactly as you hear it on the album. We kind of view it as being two parts; the first part being everything up until about the 7:50 mark when it switches to the real floaty, ethereal clean section with the dreamy piano runs and the guitar lead. I think it's pretty obvious for anyone who knows me musically to know that I wrote this song; it really showcases my two favorite loves: progressive rock like King Crimson, Yes and Dream Theater; and high-energy space-rock like Cave In and Failure. This song really is my proudest compositional achievement thus far, though. One of these days, after much rehearsing, we'll play it live. alt

matty2fatty

Reaction score
Pretty much Octavarium. Each song is based on a key.

"When writing, the band delegated each song a different key. Sound effects were placed between songs to connect them: for example, "The Root of All Evil", written in F, and the following track, "The Answer Lies Within", written in G, were connected by a sound effect in the key of F#"

I didn't know that! Damn I love Dream Theater.

I still haven't gotten around to listening to all of the 12 step songs in a row though, I think that'd be interesting

Jtizzle

Reaction score
I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I'll give some pointers of things I'd personally do.

Maybe try grouping songs in their respective keys, not only by relative major/minor key signatures. Cmaj and Amin, for example, can have no sharps or flats, but the direction a song can go depending on which key it's in can be changed drastically, and there's tons of things you can't do in Amin that you can do in Cmaj, and vice-versa.

Also, try going deeper into Jazz. A common happening in Jazz is transposition. It's way more useful to learn a song in all 12 keys than to learn one song per key. There's really strange chord or melody movements, or melody-chord harmonies that happen in specific songs, and it's way better to practice things like that in different keys so you learn these common movements, and your neck better. A good, but extremely hard song to play over and learn to do these things is Stella By Starlight. It has really weird chord movements. This song alone is what I use to practice my chords, throwing in inversions and extensions. I highly recommend you to do this.

')