Oni Guitars

• Thread starter dpm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I was just replying to Brutalizer about lacewood.

Ahh, I see.

I've only played one lacewood guitar. It had active pickups in it, but it sounded fine to me.

Actually, I did play another, acoustic guitar with a lacewood body and it kinda sounded dull, but I just thought it was because I love bright tone.

BRUTALIZER GUITARS

Reaction score
I believe the Oni in question is actually "Silky Oak" or Grevillea robusta, not so? Not related to American Lacewood nor to the Sycamore tree.

I dont think thats Silky Oak:scratch: the Oni really really looks more like Lacewood In color and grain patern from what ive seen silky oak has less grain figer and checks, where as the lace wood I picked up Blends bang on to the oni

BUT I did a few tap tests and im woried about the resonant qualities it just seems a bit dead but its really sexy wood so maybe I'll do a black walnut top and neck and that will bring out the Sound

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
^_^ My deposit should be going down around September/October (if Daniel agree's to make what I've asked for, or if he proposes an idea I like the sound of hehe).

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Shit, sorry for slacking off on this thread guys, I've been organising something.. er... interesting ;)

Regarding Lacewood and that particular guitar, it's made from what's known as Silky Oak in Australia aka Australian Lacewood to Americans. I don't know if it bears any tonal resemblance to north or south American Lacewoods, or anything else known by that name. It is however great sounding stuff, very resonant. Similar to Alder, light Ash, Padauk etc. For mushy sounding wood think Basswood :D Hope that clears that up. The figure varies considerably depending on how it's cut. Quartersawn exposes the lace, flatsawn looks ordinary. There could be some variation in tone depending on figure as the dark lines are hard and the light patches soft. It could also be that we export the reject stuff and keep the best for ourselves :lol: You should see how crap the Rock Maple stocked in Australia is. I get 10x the quality at a better price by ordering that stuff direct from the USA.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like you've found me out :lol:

Onipups - I like that....

I'm getting a winder together and have a bunch of custom magnets on the way. It's a lot of stuff to organise but will let me experiment more readily with different 'recipes'.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
:woot:

Onipups! FTW!!

Actually given the nature of the instrumetns you build , making your own pickups makes a lot of sense. Good luck.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Imagine a jingle sung to the Chordettes song Lollipop :lol:

Onipups Onipups
Oh Oni Oni Oni
Onipups Onipups.....

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
BTW, anyone who has emailed me in the last week - I had a computer issue and won't be able to get into the drive with my mail on it until maybe tomorrow. A quick email so I have your address again would be great. Thanks!

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be getting hold of that bass again soon, and I will get photos this time. Another one I missed taking good pics of was a quilt maple/rosewood 7. Stupid me completely forgot :noway:

Public service announcement - I'm moving this weekend and may not have proper internet access from Sep 28 - Oct 6 so email replies may be delayed.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Moving? I hope that's a good thing.

I'd love to see this bass of which you speak. Has anyone ever asked about a multi-scale fretless bass? I wonder how that would effect technique. :scratch:

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
oh yeah, it's a very good thing. The new place is just down the road so it should be pretty easy.

I've contemplated fretless multiscale. My thoughts are that if you play a multiscale bass alll the time it wouldn't be too difficult as your hands would have that 'map'. Jumping from a standard fretted bass to multiscale fretless might be another matter.

Latest posts

')