Online NILE guitar lessons now up!

• Thread starter Unknown Doodl3.2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've decided that 1/4 of the reason Nile's music confuses me is because it's so fast, 1/4 of it is because of the "sewer pipe" vocals over it, and 1/2 of it is because their tone is muddy a fuck. But that still hasn't stopped me from listening to them. :rofl:

Great guys , and I really appreciate their skill and their playing ability. Thanks for posting this! :yesway:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah half the riffs sound sick at "slow" speed then not quite as awesome sped up :/

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
So I guess I'm the only one that digs their tone :lol: It does sound muddy a bit at times on these lessons though

wretchedspawn

Conquering theThrone
Reaction score
When I saw them live the tone was more defined than on the cd but still a tad muddy. I caught a glimpse of the EQ pedal Dallas was using(Boss GE-7) and it was set (how it looked to me anyways) with the first 3 sliders at center detent, then the next one was all the way down and each following slider was slightly higher until the final one was maybe +5 or so. I just thought that was strange, but prolly why they have a muddy tone.

TotallyBr00tal

Reaction score
I want to see these guys live, everytime they come around I forget about it or just cant go. I was listening to darkened shrines the other day that album is sick especially the 2nd track. I think their tone is so muddy cause they tune so low and they use 6's, but I think they want the muddy dirty tone. Their drummer george is sick too, awesome one foot blasts!

Carrion

Et tu, Brute?
Reaction score
Those guys are so metal.

"Wow, it's been a long time"

*proceeds to br00talize my face*

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I think a 7-string would make their tune less muddy, plus they're good enough to shred on one.

All things being equal between their guitars, a 7 would just give them an extra high string. Its all the other factors that make the difference (Scale length, string tension, pickups, amps, wood, etc).

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
I've decided that 1/4 of the reason Nile's music confuses me is because it's so fast, 1/4 of it is because of the "sewer pipe" vocals over it, and 1/2 of it is because their tone is muddy a fuck. But that still hasn't stopped me from listening to them. :rofl: Great guys , and I really appreciate their skill and their playing ability. Thanks for posting this! :yesway:

I don't think either Karl or Dallas' vocals really fall under the co-called "sewer pipe" vocal style... which I believe is created by cupping the mic. They're just of the good ol' fashioned guttural style.

I'll agree I'm not a fan of their Marshall sound... super-saturated EL34's. :barf:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think either Karl or Dallas' vocals really fall under the co-called "sewer pipe" vocal style... which I believe is created by cupping the mic. They're just of the good ol' fashioned guttural style.

I'll agree I'm not a fan of their Marshall sound... super-saturated EL34's. :barf:

Yeah, that's probably a more accurate description on both counts.

When I think of guttural, I usually think of Chuck or Muhammad; which Karl's and Dallas' vocals are *from the Nile material I'm familiar with* lower and slower than. I didn't take into account the 'cupping the mic' technique. Good call. :yesway:

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Guttural vocals are more reminiscent of Chris Barnes and early Cannibal Corpse for me :shrug:

')