Oooh, new CD. (Satch Content)

• Thread starter Karl Hungus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
So, I've gone and bought a new CD for the first time since about Christmas, I think.

Picked up Satch's "Super Colossal" today.

It's quite good, but not in the same league as Crystal Planet.

Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's good, but not in the same league as anything by Satriani save "Strange Beautiful Music," which is a demo and not an album, and "Is there Love In Space?" which is similarly ho-hum from a brilliant artist.

"A Cool New Way" is pretty cool though.

I gotta say I'm glad he released it when he did - it was the first new album by Satriani that came out and I thought "I can record something that I wouldn't be embarrassed to compare to this" while listening. Maybe not on technique, but... Call it inversely twisted inspiration.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
I need to buy Surfing With The Alien next time I'm CD shopping.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
I <3 Crystal Planet, too bad he's stuck to the jammy rock thing for the last few albums, I liked the experimentation on CP and Engines of Creation. MOAR of that plz Joe.

Also finish your Satriani discography Mr. Hungus!

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
agreed on all noted points.

my favorite Satch work is still his 1995 self-titled. it's one of two albums that i cannot just sit and listen to... i HAVE to grab a guitar and jam along.

the other album is Buckethead's Population Override.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought the live in san francisco double disc and I love it! :hbang: Super Colossal is good but it's not as good as the material from that IMHO! :yesway:

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Also finish your Satriani discography Mr. Hungus!

Would it look bad if I told you this is only my second Satch CD? Crystal Planet was the first, and that was about 7 years ago. I think it'll take me quite some time to finish it.

I don't even have a full Vai discography either, mind you. ;)

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
So, I've gone and bought a new CD for the first time since about Christmas, I think.

Picked up Satch's "Super Colossal" today.

It's quite good, but not in the same league as Crystal Planet.

Thoughts?

That's exactly how I feel about Super Colossal too. I really do like it, which is more than I can say for the last couple Satch albums, but it just doesn't match Crystal Planet.
I think it has a lot of good material and I hope this trend continues on the next Satch album. I should also add I felt the new songs were good live as well.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
i love this album just as much as every other one. its the first one he's released since i became a big fan and bought all his other stuff. too bad he didnt get a grammy for Super Colassal (the song).

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I like this album and it was cool to see him play a few songs off this album in Boston...but he also did alot of oldschool songs which ruled too. I think I like Crystal Planet better though. :agreed:

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Would it look bad if I told you this is only my second Satch CD? Crystal Planet was the first, and that was about 7 years ago. I think it'll take me quite some time to finish it.

I don't even have a full Vai discography either, mind you. ;)

Plz go buy Flying in a Blue Dream, Surfing with the Alien, The Extremist and Engines of Creation, then worry about the others later.

Also <3 for Not of this Earth, rarely mentioned, but Driving at Night is a TUNE and there's some other rather 80's but quality shred moments on there.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got all of his stuff, and I'm a huge fan, but his last couple of CD's have left me wanting more.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
I put back on Crystal Planet. :D

Nothing is quite like that suberb album. ;)

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority around here, but I really like The Extremist better than Crystal Planet. It's not that Crystal Planet is bad, I just think The Extremist is superior.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Plz go buy Flying in a Blue Dream, Surfing with the Alien, The Extremist and Engines of Creation, then worry about the others later.

Also <3 for Not of this Earth, rarely mentioned, but Driving at Night is a TUNE and there's some other rather 80's but quality shred moments on there.
Flying In A Blue Dream will always be my favorite album because it was the first album I ever got into of his back in 1990, when I started playing guitar. That album has influenced me alot. Driving At Night is my favorite song of Not Of This Earth too. :agreed:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I like "Hordes of Locusts" the live version of that song from his web cast last year kills.

Sleeper

Reaction score
I'm similar to Shawn in that F.I.A.B.D. is my fave Satch album. My first hearing of The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing made me decide to play guitar, a decision which was firmly added to upon my first listen of the whole album. 17 years later and I'm still blaming that Satch guy for my life's passion ;)
So yeah Karl, I heartily recommend you pick up some more Satch stuff. As was said above, the Live In San Francisco dvd is particularly tasty.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority around here, but I really like The Extremist better than Crystal Planet. It's not that Crystal Planet is bad, I just think The Extremist is superior.

I LOVE that album. I think I prefer CP because it was the first one for me, but objectively I couldn't say one's a better album than the other.

The drum tone? :wub:

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Super Colossal would have been up there with Satch's other albums if he had properly recorded the guitars in a studio with real speaker cabs, rather than using his Palmer speaker simulator at home. He recorded a few parts at a studio, and they stick out because they sound so good. The tone on the rest is sucktacular, though, and that from a guy who used to have godlike tone. And I say that as a guy who records ALL my stuff direct to the board.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I LOVE that album. I think I prefer CP because it was the first one for me, but objectively I couldn't say one's a better album than the other.

The drum tone? :wub:

:agreed: I still like Why the best. :wub:

Latest posts

')