Open G and High B buzz

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
So I am setting up a friends guitar and I am getting some buzz on two open strings. G and B tuned to E standard on a Floyd type bridge. Buzzing is definitely coming from the first fret. All other strings are fine but those two. Loosened the truss rod 3 times a bit as it was very tight and cranked all the way and that did nothing in the 3 days that I have it.. When I run some scales all over the fret board everything rings out great, but those two open strings. Should I try shimming the locking nut? Any advice before I tell him I can't fix that issue and have him go through an expensive repair?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Is it a sitar-like sound? That's sometimes due to the string not making a clean break from the locking nut. It can sometimes buzz on the sides of the nut slot. The solution is to actually push the string down pretty hard between the nut and first fret. This can help it settle into the proper spot. Or to slightly push the string to one side while locking down.

Newer locking nuts seem better machined and don't have as much of an issue with this.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
If it really is buzzing on the first fret then the nut is too low and shimming the nut is an option.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
If it really is buzzing on the first fret then the nut is too low and shimming the nut is an option.
Exactly this.

If the guitar is playing right in all other circumstances, but buzzing on the open strings, shimming the nut is the next step.

')