Opening Acts That Stole The Show

• Thread starter Bandersnatch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AuroraTide

Reaction score
Polaris opening for Periphery. Periphery were great but I had never heard of Polaris before and they crushed it. Glad that they've blown up since!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

akinari

Reaction score
The Red Chord opening for The Acacia Strain. TRC had killer stage presence and an awesomely clear and tight performance and sound, and then TAS came out and just shat it up. Looked like everyone on stage was about to fall asleep and they had the worst guitar sound I've ever heard live.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First time I heard of Karnivool was them opening for Nonpoint stateside. Not that I've got anything problem with Nonpoint but I mean...

Bearitone

Reaction score
Terror opening for the Acacia Strain (weird combo of bands right?) at the Chain Reaction

Anyway, Terror killed it to an insane degree. People literally trying to do wall runs off the stage and into the crowd, 13 people on stage screaming into the mic for a few songs, constant stage dives, and a huge pit. Really it was nuts. It’s weird because their albums sound like crap imo. Like, half the energy of their live show doesn’t translate to their recordings. Totally wasn’t expecting it

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
American Head Charge opening for Otep at The Knitting Factory in Spokane, WA. AHC came out and their energy was absolutely insane, both in performance, and stage presence, and their guitar/bass sound was unreal. Then Otep came out, and the mix was terrible, no guitar coming through at all, and overall they had way less energy and a more subdued performance than AHC. Got to see AHC again at The Pin 11 years later, and that show was even better than the first one! :metal:

BodyOrigami

Reaction score
Secret Chiefs 3 opening for Deadcross. It was my first time seeing Mike Patton live, so I was really excited to see Deadcross. Not to say that they weren't awesome live, but the musicianship that SC3 brought to the table was just unreal.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
*snip*
Also, earlier last year at the G3 tour with Phil Collen, John Petrucci and Satch. Phil came out full throttle and just tore the stage apart, then went in to his side project stuff with Delta Deep. I was incredibly surprised that he outplayed both JP and JS combined. I was absolutely floored.

phil collen and steve clark (rip) are the ones who got me into metal and playing guitar.

it took many years to acquire because of how rare they are, but i was fortunate enough to get that black ibanez destroyer ll w/ the 3 humbuckers.

that dt555-bk had been a dream guitar ive been wanting for nearly 20 yrs. won it for less than half the price auctions were ending at and got the ohsc plus a framed picture of phil.

eggy in a bready

Reaction score
Terror opening for the Acacia Strain (weird combo of bands right?) at the Chain Reaction
that's like, the most least-weird combo ever.

i saw Endon open for Boris last year, and man, did those fools bring it. i guess this isn't the most fitting example for this thread, as Boris was heavy/crushing/beautiful/made me tear up a few times. if it were any other band, Endon would have absolutely upstaged them.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
American Head Charge opening for Otep at The Knitting Factory in Spokane, WA. AHC came out and their energy was absolutely insane, both in performance, and stage presence, and their guitar/bass sound was unreal. Then Otep came out, and the mix was terrible, no guitar coming through at all, and overall they had way less energy and a more subdued performance than AHC. Got to see AHC again at The Pin 11 years later, and that show was even better than the first one! :metal:
I think a may have seen a show on that tour, or at least I know I've seen those two bands on the same bill some time in the early 2000s. AHC was an AMAZING live band back in the day. Otep has always (ALWAYS) been a terrible live band. Back in my nu metal days I probably saw them 6-7 times on different tours or fests and they always sucked it up. I'm sure the guitar was cranked, it was just so fizzy and scooped you couldn't hear it, lol. Not to mention her vocals were always sooooooo bad live. No power, no presence, almost always out of breath or apologizing for going to hard the day before or something.

')