Opeth - Ghost Reveries - Aug 30th

• Thread starter eleven59
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

King Snarll

Demigod
Reaction score
eleven59 said:

Only half way through the track, but I like it. Heavier bass sound. More eclectic drums. And definitely very heavy at times. A damn nice solo as well. I wonder if they will play this new song on Saturday when I see them.

From the sound of this, I am willing to bet Opeth will remain the best band in the world...according to the greatest music critic in the world.....me! :hbang:

Rock on!

Snarllster

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh my god! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! Listening now.

a_daft_punk

Reaction score
I'm so excited for the new album. I only got into them a few months ago but Opeth are amazing! :bowdown:

The stuff on the roadrunner site sounds awesome :D

Joe

Matt

Some random dude
Reaction score
As a LONG time Opeth fan(atic) I must say my boys have once again impressed me. I love it. It is always awesome to hear something new from a band you've listened to for so long. Even Deliverance seems ancient to me.

Matt

Some random dude
Reaction score
I have just looked at the photos and noticed that Opeth are now officially a 5 - piece band.

King Snarll

Demigod
Reaction score
Matt said:
I have just looked at the photos and noticed that Opeth are now officially a 5 - piece band.

Yeah they announced this during their last US tour. When I saw them in San Francisco they announced that their keyboardist was made an official member.

I can't wait to see them live tomorrow. :hbang:

Snarllster

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Keyboardist... I know Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree has played a lot of keys with them in the past - he's not their new keyboardist, is he?

Listening now - so far, the mix BLOWS, but it sounds like this is a fairly lo-fi mp3, can't be more than 96kbs, so maybe a lot of the low end is getting eaten that way... Vocals are higher than they should be, either way.

The song itself is pretty cool though, and that IS a good solo. :) There was a lot of concern, I guess, that their careers would be basically over after they signed with Roadrunner, but so far so good...

EDIT - definately not Wilson. I guess that's good news AND bad news - sure, he's awesome, but I'd hate to have anything interfere with more PT... :)

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno, I've only heard "Blackwater Park" before this, and that album was damn near perfection (if not perfection). I just hope they haven't lost the softer side of what they do.

The mix definitely sucks, which could be what's throwing me off partially. Everything's a little too dry sounding, especially the drums. The vocals don't seem to fit in a lot of places (not just in the mix, they just sound out of place).

I dunno...this is why I've been hesitant picking up other Opeth albums, because Blackwater Park is so perfect for me that I don't want to mess with that :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Eleven - "Damnation." It's on my to-buy list, and the only reason I bought "Blackwater Park" first is that I was recommended not to, as I'd think they were a "damnation"-y sort of band and have a harder time getting into the rest of their stuff.

Think of it as an acoustic/clean-toned electric "Blackwater Park." :yesway:

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
:bowdown: OPETH :bowdown: are one of those bands I am soooo influenecd by the more I listen to them the more I seem to write music like them "a don't do for me". When they toured with my Old Friends Tapping The Vein I had a chance to talk with all the Opeth band memebers and to find out that the drummer is more into DEATH metal and Jazz always makes me chuckle. And Yes Mikael is one of the most down to earth guys...He has some of the best singing Vibrato out there. Not many guys can sing and Death growl at the same quality as he does let alone play incredible solos....

Yes he plays Keys for them full time now..Just seen them three weeks ago here in Philly...

Glad to see others are into them too!!! :hbang:

Skeksis

Closed Eye Visuals
Reaction score
I heard "Ghost of Perdition" (is that the track posted?) and I absolutely love it. Can't wait for the new album.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
Eleven - "Damnation." It's on my to-buy list, and the only reason I bought "Blackwater Park" first is that I was recommended not to, as I'd think they were a "damnation"-y sort of band and have a harder time getting into the rest of their stuff.

Think of it as an acoustic/clean-toned electric "Blackwater Park." :yesway:
Sweet, that's the one I saw at a local store and considered picking up but was nervous about :lol:

I'll probably pick up their live DVD too and go from there. Don't get me wrong, I like the heavier moments too, but Blackwater Park is just so brilliant with the mix of heavy and soft, dark and light, it's amazing.

King Snarll

Demigod
Reaction score
The DVD is a good place to start. They play two full sets...one more mellow, then the "Regular" heavy set. Opeth was great last night, but they only were able to play four tracks. They did play the new single as one of those four songs.

After that show yesterday I officially hate ALL scremo-cookie-cutter bands. Poison the Atreyu Flames.....they all suck. I think 6 of these crap bands played in a row. My friends and I went to find a piece of shade and take a nap....for 4 hours or so. Had I know they would suck that badly I wouldn't have come to the show early. Show up at 6pm for Chimaira, Opeth, Unearth and Lamb of God. Strapping Young Lad and Devildriver were good, but I would definitely skip them next time to avoid the hours of screamo-crap.

And I know Clutch is a well respected band, but their set yesterday felt like I was getting repeatedly hit in the head with a two-by-four. Basicly the whole crowd hated them with a passion. I think Clutch should probably tour with bands like the Black Crows or something. Definitely not a good fit for a metal show (even if Clutch thinks they are metal, they arent.)

Snarlly

P.S.: Why does anyone like Gwar? Crap music and they fling shit on you? How is that a good combo? I guess I'm getting too old or something...I just don't get it.

King Snarll

Demigod
Reaction score
BTW, I actually prefer Damnation and Deliverance over Blackwater Park. FYI, Damnation is their mellow album. It is no heavier than classic Pink Floyd. Still, I love it. Deliverance offers some really diverse songs as well, Master's Apprentice is my personal favorite.

Snarllmiester

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just love the fact that they made offsetting concept albums - too cool.

King Snarll

Demigod
Reaction score
I've said it before, and I will say it again. I think it can be agrued quite well that this is the best band in metal today, period. The only other band that I like nearly as much in putting out consistently *awesome* works is Soilwork.

If you don't listen to either of these bands, do yourself a favor and at least give them a try. If you like rock or metal, I think you will like these bands.

Snarlmiester

')