Opeth - Ghost Reveries - Aug 30th

• Thread starter eleven59
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Haven't checked out any Soilwork yet, but Vince's been raving about them here, and generally his taste and mine coincide pretty closely on this kinda stuff - I'll add 'em to the list.

and yeah, I couldn't listen to Opeth 24/7, but when I'm in the mood, there's few bands that can touch them at what they're doing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rx

Reaction score
King Snarll said:
The DVD is a good place to start. They play two full sets...one more mellow, then the "Regular" heavy set. Opeth was great last night, but they only were able to play four tracks. They did play the new single as one of those four songs.

After that show yesterday I officially hate ALL scremo-cookie-cutter bands. Poison the Atreyu Flames.....they all suck. I think 6 of these crap bands played in a row. My friends and I went to find a piece of shade and take a nap....for 4 hours or so. Had I know they would suck that badly I wouldn't have come to the show early. Show up at 6pm for Chimaira, Opeth, Unearth and Lamb of God. Strapping Young Lad and Devildriver were good, but I would definitely skip them next time to avoid the hours of screamo-crap.

And I know Clutch is a well respected band, but their set yesterday felt like I was getting repeatedly hit in the head with a two-by-four. Basicly the whole crowd hated them with a passion. I think Clutch should probably tour with bands like the Black Crows or something. Definitely not a good fit for a metal show (even if Clutch thinks they are metal, they arent.)

Snarlly

P.S.: Why does anyone like Gwar? Crap music and they fling shit on you? How is that a good combo? I guess I'm getting too old or something...I just don't get it.

ahah poison the atreyu flames...... I hate killswitch engage too. and lamb of god must be the most overrated poo... seriously, every song excluding two from their most recent album sound the same (the first 109 seconds or so of it). and I don't see how they're good guitarists either... oooh harmonies we've seen that in in flames too :scratch:

and yeah I definately don't get Gwar, i just think it's stupid music for prepubescent punks who like stupid images

all just opinions

Dark Tranquillity

Gothenburg Guitarist
Reaction score
Opeth are awesome, one of the best prog bands ever.

Blackwaterpark and still life own.

Shaman

Reaction score
Opeth is one of my favourite bands so I am happy as hell to hear that the new material is as great as before.

I really love Mike's singing voice, and off course his growl \m/

I can't wait to get my hands on the final product!!

rx

Reaction score
Shaman said:
I really love Mike's singing voice, and off course his growl \m/

i only wish he was a better singer live. :rant:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
King Snarll said:
P.S.: Why does anyone like Gwar? Crap music and they fling shit on you? How is that a good combo? I guess I'm getting too old or something...I just don't get it.
Cause its freaking funny. Its not supposed to be good or anything. its kinda like Tenacious D but like, heavier. lol
Gwar's 'Apes Of Wrath' = Hilarity

rx

Reaction score
dpm said:
He must have had an 'off' night when you saw him coz he sounded fine the two gigs I caught :cool:

oh i didn't watch him live, i just have live videos of them on my 'pooter. seems like mike can't get a really clean singing voice on stage. growling is good as usual though. i just wish he had a better voice on-stage like on the CD. i dunno, seems like their live shows are missing SOMETHING, but i dunno what!

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, you MUST've got some bad footage. I've seen Opeth twice & Mikael's voice was superb.

Check out their DVD called Lamentations. EASILY, it's one of the best live concert to EVER come out. There's 2 sets (1 of the heavy stuff, 1 of the mellow stuff) & a 1 hour documentary on "The Making of Deliverance and Damnation." The audio and video are beyond compare.

rx

Reaction score
Shannon said:
Man, you MUST've got some bad footage. I've seen Opeth twice & Mikael's voice was superb.

Check out their DVD called Lamentations. EASILY, it's one of the best live concert to EVER come out. There's 2 sets (1 of the heavy stuff, 1 of the mellow stuff) & a 1 hour documentary on "The Making of Deliverance and Damnation." The audio and video are beyond compare.

i bought it, but i didn't recieve it yet because the merchant on eBay didn't send it quickly and I moved out of my dorms. :mad: I paid extra shipping to get it shipped to my new dorm address. I'm gonna get it when school starts (sep.29th). I can't wait! I heard it is one of the best live DVDs there is.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I decided to "preview" this album in its entirety. I'm only 8 minutes into the first track and it's fucking awesome :hbang:

I no longer have any reservations about picking up more Opeth stuff.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I managed to obtain a preview copy too, and I agree, this album OWNS.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to have to definitely give this another listen tomorrow (and many more after that of course lol) since I'm tired tonight. I'm on track 4 now, "Atonement", and I swear to god this sounds like a cross between The Tea Party and I Mother Earth. This album may actually have "Blackwater Park" beaten for me. Opeth is my new favorite band lol

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
To me, Opeth's "Still Life" is the album in which all other Opeth CDs are judged. That one is one of my Top 5 favorite CDs of all-time.

But, Blackwater Park & Deliverance are amazing as well.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Shannon said:
To me, Opeth's "Still Life" is the album in which all other Opeth CDs are judged. That one is one of my Top 5 favorite CDs of all-time.
I figure after I get this CD and the Lamentations DVD, I'll continue to work backwards chronologically (since I still have to pick up Blackwater Park as well, I downloaded that one to see what the fuss was about with low expectations for some reason and was blown away).

And I think the version of "The Grand Conjuration" on the album is different than the preview on the site. I'd have to go back and listen to the one on the site, but I think this one is longer, and has more acoustic elements in the background (i.e. I didn't like it as much before as I do now).

This is definitely an album where headphones are required to get the full effect...there's bongos on this track for example...and it's in a heavy-ish part lol

rx

Reaction score
Still Life is definately one of my favorite albums. "Moonlapse Vertigo" is sooooo delicious yum. I didn't like Deliverance at first but it grew on me, and the more I listen to it, the more I get sucked into it. Blackwater Park was an instant hit for me. My Arms, Your Hearse is also great but I only dig "April Ethereal" and "Demon of the Fall". "April Ethereal" is one of my favorite Opeth tracks. so epic!

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just picked this up. I've never been a big Opeth fan mostly because I can't get into the guy's voice.

So far, I really like this - I'd love to see him "sing" all the time instead of the screaming. Good stuff. :yesway:

Digital Black

Reaction score
I have the last three CD's from them including the new one.

I think I'm the only one here who think they aren't so hot.

rx

Reaction score
Chris said:
I just picked this up. I've never been a big Opeth fan mostly because I can't get into the guy's voice.

So far, I really like this - I'd love to see him "sing" all the time instead of the screaming. Good stuff. :yesway:

you gotta be kidding me, mikael sings like half of the time! i really like his growls too

')