Opeth-ish riffage

• Thread starter ooidort
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlucardXIX

Is Encircle
Reaction score
You just became one of my favorite musicians on this forum. The clarity of the mix is amazing, still trying to get to that level myself.

Riffs are awesome, I am such a sucker for Opeth's style...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Wow. WOOOOOOOOOW. Riffage is excellent, very tight. Vocals are killer. Wish I could growl like that! Do you have any other music? I need more of this! Oh, and the mix is good.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
That riff is killer :)

I think someone said it's lacking some low end and I agree.

The vocals, what are you using to record them? You need to find a good mid-range pocket for that kind of vocal. Somewhere where you can cut some of the guitars midrange and give it to the growls.

ooidort

Reaction score
That riff is killer :)

I think someone said it's lacking some low end and I agree.

The vocals, what are you using to record them? You need to find a good mid-range pocket for that kind of vocal. Somewhere where you can cut some of the guitars midrange and give it to the growls.

Yeah I already adressed the low end in the post above yours, unless you're of course talking about that one.

Vocals are recorded using an SM57, and I'm gonna redo 'em so that the proximity effect isn't destroying everything. For that, I'm gonna have to do some acoustic treating to my room though.

IconW

Reaction score
Damn you're good! Mix is great and vocals are sick!
Well done mate.

Well a bit more bass and lower mids wouldn't hurt.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Yeah I already adressed the low end in the post above yours, unless you're of course talking about that one.

Vocals are recorded using an SM57, and I'm gonna redo 'em so that the proximity effect isn't destroying everything. For that, I'm gonna have to do some acoustic treating to my room though.

I'm listening through my Yamaha HS80Ms and finding that it probably needs maybe just 1dB more at a 100Hz shelf on the master.

To get the depth in and clarity in your growls you really need a large Diaphragm condenser. Also, you probably don't need to treat the room to do the vocals. I mean treating will help, but a fine starting point would to create a two or three sided vocal booth with mattresses and some furniture to support them.

K-Roll

Reaction score
I'd definitely buy this!!!! :) its great, i mean even soundwise, to me its quite ok, its not causing my ears to get kicked so much and everything sounds quite clear i wish i could do something like that ;P

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
I wish I could offer some constructive criticism but I can't really think of a way to make it sound any better.

That riff at 42 seconds... my god.

ooidort

Reaction score
Updated the link in the first post.

Man am I pulling my hair out with this mix. The vocals are a pain in the ass, I tried rerecording 'em and the outcome soundwise was pretty much the same, so I decided to stick with the excisting takes and just EQ the hell out them. Maybe something's changed in my vocal technique that doesn't work well with the SM57 or something.

Also I did something to the low end of the mix and I don't know if it's a change to the wrong direction or not. Goddamn I need proper monitors, not these crappy sennheiser budget headphones...

')