Opeth - The Devil's Orchard

• Thread starter DLG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I'm really excited for this, other stuff I've listened to weren't really anything I fancied but this is awesome. Will buy this fo sho!

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I find his clean vocals WAY better than his death vocals. Kinda funny to see so many people saying they won't buy it because of vocals.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Kinda funny to see so many people saying they won't buy it because of vocals.

remember that douchebag that burned all of this opeth CDs on youtube after mikael announced there would be no growls on this album? the internet is unfortunately full of these kinds of people, who want their favorite band to sound the same forever.

thankfully opeth have a big enough fan base now to sustain these types of changes and experiments and not worry about it. Even when on a label like roadrunner that expects you to do well sales-wise.

EvolDerek

BEADGBEG
Reaction score
Such a killer song.... sounds like the album ive been waiting for them to make for so long!

Enselmis

Reaction score
Only complaint would be the overhead processing, which I don't like at all. Hi-Hat is all hizzly and the cymbals are LOUD.

Other than that:

:hbang:

I agree, although it's tough to judge right now seeing as the description says this was taken from the radio. All sorts of compression and sound mangling between wherever it started and that particular youtube video.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno, it just feels like it's trying too hard to espouse itself with the current popularity of sludge/stoner metal, which is a genre I've never liked. I still recognize that Opeth are pretty brilliant in their own right, but if they start playing a style of music I have no affinity for, I'm not going to pretend to like it just because "oh, well, it's Opeth doing it and anything they touch is automatically golden."

Yes, I recognize it also harkens back to really old school style prog rock too, but frankly, I'm not so big on that either. If they want to experiment, then good for them. I won't, however, follow them simply by virtue of what came before if the direction they decide to take isn't to my liking. :shrug:

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
remember that douchebag that burned all of this opeth CDs on youtube after mikael announced there would be no growls on this album? the internet is unfortunately full of these kinds of people, who want their favorite band to sound the same forever.

thankfully opeth have a big enough fan base now to sustain these types of changes and experiments and not worry about it. Even when on a label like roadrunner that expects you to do well sales-wise.

While I certainly wouldn't go as far as to reject this album solely on the lack of extreme vocals, I do think they're a huge part of what made Opeth so great, in that they allowed them to explore contrasts like few bands were able to pull off. I can easily live with an album without them, and as long as the quality of their music remains solid (and there's no reason to think it won't), I'm sure I could accept them without growls entirely. It would be a little sad to see them go, though.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I dunno, it just feels like it's trying too hard to espouse itself with the current popularity of sludge/stoner metal, which is a genre I've never liked. I still recognize that Opeth are pretty brilliant in their own right, but if they start playing a style of music I have no affinity for, I'm not going to pretend to like it just because "oh, well, it's Opeth doing it and anything they touch is automatically golden."

Yes, I recognize it also harkens back to really old school style prog rock too, but frankly, I'm not so big on that either. If they want to experiment, then good for them. I won't, however, follow them simply by virtue of what came before if the direction they decide to take isn't to my liking. :shrug:

this is completely justified on your part. I've managed to let go of some of my favorite bands after they started playing a style I don't enjoy without burning their CDs and denouncing their existence.

The last couple of devy albums don't do much for me, compared to the older stuff, but I'm not on the internet yelling at everyone how he sucks balls now. He's just moved on to a certain headspace that doesn't vibe with me like the old stuff did, and that's completely fine, there are tons of other people who enjoy it, as is evident on this board alone.

let them do what they want, you'll find another band next week that'll tickle your fancy like that band once did, and you'll always have your old favorite albums to go back to. no big deal.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Ok, this is awesome. I love the song, but I really think it could have done better with a more 'metal' production, like Watershed.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score

If you burn all of your albums because the artist doesn't do death vocals anymore, you weren't a real fan in the first place. It's a good thing that opeth fans like us love all kinds of music and can accept it for how good it really is.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Enjoyed this. Looking forward to the album. Seeing them with Pain of Salvation later this year, and I may well soil myself with excitement. Lack of "br00tvl" vocals bothers me not one bit: Åkerfeldt's voice is awesome, and at Hellfest their vocal harmonies seemed to have really developed beautifully (then again, I was rather drunk by that point). That, and PoS in the same venue is going to be a vocal eargasm.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
I will buy that record for sure, just as I bought every Opeth record before...but I hope the complete record will be a bit more "exciting" than song is.

Its not a bad song, but honestly, if I want to listen to 70s progrock, I simply put on 70s progrock, not Opeth.

However, I will wait for the complete record to "judge".

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
I don't like the main riff that much, but the song gets good in the second half. I think growls would fit perfectly in this song, but Mikaels clean voice is really good, so it doesn't really bother me.

I think it sounds a lot like Watershed though, just with a more 70's production. I expected more of a departure musically from the "Opeth sound" than what this is.

I still like it though. Since this is the "single", it's probably one of the more straightforward songs from the album.

Turgon

Reaction score
many posts I agree with. I love this song, it sounds like Opeth with no metal production.
I'd prefer a more heavy album with growls, BUT...

1. this song is still great and so the album will be, cause it has Opeth on the cover
2. his growls on the new bloodbath DVD are very poor... don't want that kind of growls on an Opeth record!

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
2. his growls on the new bloodbath DVD are very poor... don't want that kind of growls on an Opeth record!

I totally agree about the quality of his growls, starting with the Royal albert hall dvd and culminating with the latest Bloodbath dvd.

But Mikael actually cleared this up in a recent video interview. He said that the reason his growls were bad was that he started using in ear monitors, and they made him growl with a different (bad) technique, due to how he heard himself in the in ears. He switched back to regular ear plugs, and he didn't have the problem anymore. And if you watch recent live videos, the growls are alot better than they were a while back.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
I totally agree about the quality of his growls, starting with the Royal albert hall dvd and culminating with the latest Bloodbath dvd.

But Mikael actually cleared this up in a recent video interview. He said that the reason his growls were bad was that he started using in ear monitors, and they made him growl with a different (bad) technique, due to how he heard himself in the in ears. He switched back to regular ear plugs, and he didn't have the problem anymore. And if you watch recent live videos, the growls are alot better than they were a while back.

Interesting info, thanks. I wondered about the DVD growls myself - because everytime I've seen Opeth live, his growls were amazing.

')