Opeth - The Devil's Orchard

• Thread starter DLG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Turgon

Reaction score
I totally agree about the quality of his growls, starting with the Royal albert hall dvd and culminating with the latest Bloodbath dvd.

But Mikael actually cleared this up in a recent video interview. He said that the reason his growls were bad was that he started using in ear monitors, and they made him growl with a different (bad) technique, due to how he heard himself in the in ears. He switched back to regular ear plugs, and he didn't have the problem anymore. And if you watch recent live videos, the growls are alot better than they were a while back.

You're my hero of the day!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
Mikael Åkerfeldt's voice :agreed:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I know it won't be for everyone, but I'm just glad that Akerfeldt is finally being true to himself this time round. I know it sounds a bit *too* much like Led Zeppelin, but it will be an honest album which is the most you can ask for IMO.

Bands like Whitechapel get stick for having beatdowns but to me they are one of the most honest bands around. They're doing what they want to do and not letting anyone tell them they can't. For that, they've got my respect.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I totally agree about the quality of his growls, starting with the Royal albert hall dvd and culminating with the latest Bloodbath dvd.

But Mikael actually cleared this up in a recent video interview. He said that the reason his growls were bad was that he started using in ear monitors, and they made him growl with a different (bad) technique, due to how he heard himself in the in ears. He switched back to regular ear plugs, and he didn't have the problem anymore. And if you watch recent live videos, the growls are alot better than they were a while back.

I certainly hope that's the case. I was getting really worried that he was losing his growl, and this album was an indication of that fact that he wouldn't really be growling anymore.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Holy crap... I REALLY dig this. I'm now the most excited I've been for a Opeth album since Damnation.
Also, I can see where Mikael said the "Fusion" sound would come in. 3 minutes in totally sounds like it could be from a John McLaughlin or Chick Corea composition.

Plankis

Reaction score

Source? I'd like to read that one. :)

I loved the song. I can't wait to hear the album!

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Disappointed by grand conjuration? I loved that song.

Quiet loud dynamics, none of the intricacy of guitar work I loved about them, not enough substance as someone below said, and quiet build-up to big noise stuff is just so... fun, yes, but not enough for a band I was so used to writing surprising things.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Also, people are saying it's more 70s in production and vibe. Why is it that so many bands end up making records that more and more recall the past, just when you hoped they might move on to something in the future? It's the same with Clutch, they're become SO bluesy (still enjoy it) when I thought they might go further with their grooved odd-time stoner stompings. Ah well.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Also, people are saying it's more 70s in production and vibe. Why is it that so many bands end up making records that more and more recall the past, just when you hoped they might move on to something in the future? It's the same with Clutch, they're become SO bluesy (still enjoy it) when I thought they might go further with their grooved odd-time stoner stompings. Ah well.

Let's face it...it's a trend. Another Swedish band, Graveyard...great stuff...and so retro.

For all that stuff and this new Opeth song...I wonder how cool it would sound with a decent contemporary sound. A big fu to retro production please.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
A trend? I don't know that I think Opeth is the kind of band that follows trends. Moreover, Opeth has been going steadily and steadily down this road for a while now. I am excited about seeing where they take things. Mike loves his mellotron!

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Holy crap... I REALLY dig this. I'm now the most excited I've been for a Opeth album since Damnation.
Also, I can see where Mikael said the "Fusion" sound would come in. 3 minutes in totally sounds like it could be from a John McLaughlin or Chick Corea composition.
I'm totally diggin' it. Being a fusion & 70s prog lover, I totally concur with this. The 3M change you referenced totally reminded me of any of those or even Return to Forever w/ DiMeola. I'll buy the album regardless of how he sings or whatever (even tho not a big fan of growls....it takes much talent, just not my thing), simply b/c I'm lovin this single.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
I like this one. One thing I'm wondering is whether they'll do heavy sections even though they won't have growls. Kinda like Lotus Eater's beginning.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I know it's part of the new thing, but I do kinda miss the old guitar tone. Otherwise, pretty sweet. Definitely looking forward to it.

I'm really tempted by that collector's edition, but I don't have a record player....

Latest posts

')