Opeth - The Devil's Orchard

• Thread starter DLG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
anyone else notice the Metropolis PT 1 verasion around 5:10?

GOOD SHIT

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
Long-time Opeth fan here but no, I don't like this.

Sounds too much like Ghost Reveries, which was far from a great Opeth album. Why great? Because we don't expect 'good' from Opeth - we expect greatness!

The song itself is too repretitive, and where are the growls? Mike's one of the greatest growlers today, it would be a shame to not have that aspect of Opeth in the album - but I'm assuming the entire album will be growl-less. :lol:

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Ironbird, a few people have felt that Mike's growls have been fading over the last few years. I know that if that's the case I'd rather he didn't growl and sung confidently rather than just doing it for the sake of legacy.

federock90

Reaction score
All in all I like the song. Even if it sounded very familiar to me. Anyway as concerning growls I think that if he has some problems with that he should take some lessons from a vocal trainer. I absolutely like his clean singing but a band like opeth needs to have growls at least live. Eventually I wouldn't see it as a failure to take vocal lessons

Reaction score
I am far from the usual "they have sucked since blah blah blah cd and I want them to make 1241241412 versions of the 1st cd" guy but I am not liking this at all. I've been a die hard opeth fan ever since getting MAYH back in 98. I never thought I would see the day when Opeth would have music that I didn't find some of the best aural pleasure I've ever heard. Reasons for this - First, dislike the guitar tone. I fn love crunchy dirty blues dist but its just not working for me here. Second, Way to progy. Its almost like he wrote the sequence of notes in the main riff to be as dissonant and chaotic as possible. I hate when people get way to into theory and write a riff just for the sake of writing it and not just what sounds great to them. I don't care that it doesn't have growls but I love when they are there. 1 of the best growls ever to me. His cleans are angelic though so I can deal with that. I'm glad he's doing what he really wanted to do for a long time but I wish it was on the collab with Wilson and not Opeth. I was kinda expecting this cd to not peak my interest though after the articles and the direction they were heading on Watershed. I really like most of Watershed but it just didn't do it for me like every other album before it. Idk, I'm sure it will grow on me the more I listen to it but it just sounds like its trying to be a King Crimson song and not its own unique sound that was Opeth.

Doug N

Reaction score
As I said earlier in the thread, I like it a lot, but something else is bugging me.

For the first time in forever, Opeth and Steven Wilson are releasing albums at essentially the same time. What a missed opportunity to go on tour together. Does anyone know whether this idea was considered and discarded? Katatonia is ok, and I'm sure I'll enjoy their show, but Opeth and Wilson would have been unbelievable.

Edit: I initially typed Porcupine Tree rather than Steven Wilson

Latest posts

')