Opinion on this mix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. Reminds me a bit of Preist/Maiden. It sounds especially good for being a rehearsal room tracking environment. Save the settings before you change anything.

Descent

Reaction score
Thanks for checking it out!

It's a Tascam 16x8 interface that I've had chance to tweak for a while. The drum mics stay on and we've tracked rehearsals for close to a year on it so I've got a chance to setup scenes, etc. in Studio One.

Overheads were a touch problematic as we used big bottle condensers drummer is dead set on and were a little harder to control balance.

So nothing to tweak further in your opinion?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Thanks for checking it out!

It's a Tascam 16x8 interface that I've had chance to tweak for a while. The drum mics stay on and we've tracked rehearsals for close to a year on it so I've got a chance to setup scenes, etc. in Studio One.

Overheads were a touch problematic as we used big bottle condensers drummer is dead set on and were a little harder to control balance.

So nothing to tweak further in your opinion?

Not really. I a/b'd it again against some different monitors I have. They are crappy monitors, like computer and bookshelf speakers, as opposed to my hs-7's. I find it helps be more realistic/uniform on different systems. If I was going to be really critical of it the only thing I would do (after saving all these current settings) Is try to make the vocals mesh more.
They initially appear a little loud, but I'm not sure that's what it is. I think it's just how they mesh with it like maybe a slight reverb or something is needed. Maybe its not, maybe the level could go down a bit, like 1-2db or something and it will mesh better.
I'm talking only on the majority of it (Verse, bridge, chorus) up until 5:45. At 5:45 it all meshes really well, level wise, though still a bit dry. Then at 6:12 it goes back to sticking out to far in the mix.
I can't tell if it's a level, compression, or reverb thing that is needed, but the vocals sound to dry and forward in the mix on those parts. Whatever is going on from 5:45 to 6:12 with the vocals seems to work well, level wise, but even there they still seem a little dry.
If I was messing with the mix the first thing I would do is turn the vocals down 2db all the way up until 5:45, then put it back up to where it originally was from 5:45 to 6:12, and then back down 2db again for the remainder of the song at 6:12. I would also put some type of a plate reverb or small reverb on the vocals. Just enough to gel it together with the rest of the mix. A small amount, not enough that it actually sounds like a reverb or echo is going on. I may even after that also put another small decay hall or room reverb on the entire mix to gel it all together as a whole too, but again, not enough to sound like a reverb. These reverbs aren't saying "Hi, Reverb here" there isn't enough to sound like an echo or anything, just a a space enhancer.
Again. It sounds great how it is and if I was to be really critical, that's what I come up with. The overheads sound good by the way. Everything else sounds really good to my ears honestly. You could take it how it is right now and release it and it would be good and I don't think any "normal" listener would complain about anything. Congrats on the effort and quality on this.

Descent

Reaction score
@c7spheres thanks for going into detail, I'll look at it further.

Vocal actually has all this reverb that you mention, maybe I just need to dial it in better. As of now I have one room reverb for all instruments to feed into, one bigger (medium hall) vocal reverb specifically for vox, and one master bus reverb (mid size room just 5% to jel). Sounds like I might have to do some vocal rides on this, and will play with the verb. Thanks!

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
@c7spheres thanks for going into detail, I'll look at it further.

Vocal actually has all this reverb that you mention, maybe I just need to dial it in better. As of now I have one room reverb for all instruments to feed into, one bigger (medium hall) vocal reverb specifically for vox, and one master bus reverb (mid size room just 5% to jel). Sounds like I might have to do some vocal rides on this, and will play with the verb. Thanks!

Save all the old settings first though. I'm just being very critical, since you kinda asked. It's definitely good as is.

Descent

Reaction score
Save all the old settings first though. I'm just being very critical, since you kinda asked. It's definitely good as is.

Yeah, definitely, I saved that as the "go to" mix. Kinda went nuts with it, now editing (cutting) noise on tom channels instead of using gates to clean up the drum sounds. I might actually pop back in for a few more overdubs and we might actually get our bassist to track bass on this if he doesn't end up getting fired from the band soon :)

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
For a rehearsal, this is fantastic! I do hear some extra highend I would tame, but that is personal taste. The bass guitar does get a little buried.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
-I listened to it carefully 4 times with breaks between each time, and also compared it to the Mix II from yesterday too.
-Everything sounds great. At this point it's all artistic mixing decisions.
-That being said, if I were to get really critical on it, I think it could help the entire mix to simply lower the rhythm and lead guitars each evenly 1-2db, but it depends on what you're looking for. Doing this will help the drums pop a little more, but could cause the vocals to be to loud again, or the overheads to start causing problems for you. I don't think it will though cause the limiter on the stereo bus should help it all even out as long as you don't change it. I think if you just lower the guitars 1-2db, possibly add a compander to the kick track, and do nothing else it will probably all gel nicely. No Eq is needed or anything else, imo.
-It is perfectly fine how it is right now though. Better than the Mix II you had up yesterday, imo. Save the settings for this one before changing anything. It is better than the last mix I think. Good job man! I like it! Sincerely.

Descent

Reaction score
-I listened to it carefully 4 times with breaks between each time, and also compared it to the Mix II from yesterday too.
-Everything sounds great. At this point it's all artistic mixing decisions.
-That being said, if I were to get really critical on it, I think it could help the entire mix to simply lower the rhythm and lead guitars each evenly 1-2db, but it depends on what you're looking for. Doing this will help the drums pop a little more, but could cause the vocals to be to loud again, or the overheads to start causing problems for you. I don't think it will though cause the limiter on the stereo bus should help it all even out as long as you don't change it. I think if you just lower the guitars 1-2db, possibly add a compander to the kick track, and do nothing else it will probably all gel nicely. No Eq is needed or anything else, imo.
-It is perfectly fine how it is right now though. Better than the Mix II you had up yesterday, imo. Save the settings for this one before changing anything. It is better than the last mix I think. Good job man! I like it! Sincerely.

Thanks man, appreciate it. Thank you for helping narrow down problem areas. I'll have bassist overdub so might revisit at that point and lower the rhythm as you suggested. I still feel HH bleed in OHs is still difficult to tame, but compared to few bands in similar style that are on indy labels, this is comparable.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Certainly man. The HH and OH's are not an issue at all to me on my good or junky monitors/speakers. It sounds good where it's at. Save those settings. You could release this on your own. It's not a Bob Rock mix but it sounds professional and "normal", not amateur. Seriously. Mix has an old school vibe and character too, so I hope that's what your going for. The only other thing I could suggest is checking out some reference tracks too. Check out The Number of the Beast album. It's got a similar mix going on.

Descent

Reaction score
@c7spheres Thanks man, yeah, I was kinda shooting for that in a bit of an indirect way...pulled up some indie label NWOTHM bands and kinda compared with them.

As a reference mix I took "Stampede" by Accept, some Chevalier, and few other NWOTHM, but didn't follow too closely. I kinda notice that every project takes it own sonic imprint in a way, so I try to leave some of that raw feeling in there, at least somewhat.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
That came out great man! Great job. It's amazing how little tweaks can really tie things together in a mix. No need to change anything, the mix and song retain their energy from start to finish and also blend with the other tracks too from what I've heard so far. It sounds like an album, not a demo. You said you did this in Studio One in your jam spot right? Nice! Really diggin that Surrender song too.

Descent

Reaction score
@c7spheres "Lady Death" we cut at our rehearsal room with bunch of bands blaring around :)
There are overdubs of course. Vocals were cut later and guitars mostly at home, so we kept the drums from the practice recording.

As far as the other songs - I've hired a local studio and we spent a lot of time on the drum sound, then the rest of the album was pretty much recorded at home.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
@c7spheres "Lady Death" we cut at our rehearsal room with bunch of bands blaring around :)
There are overdubs of course. Vocals were cut later and guitars mostly at home, so we kept the drums from the practice recording.

As far as the other songs - I've hired a local studio and we spent a lot of time on the drum sound, then the rest of the album was pretty much recorded at home.
Hell yeah! I like it. Just finished listening to all the stuff on Reverb. Gonna show my buddy too. I know he'll like it too. Not many bands doing music like this anymore. Sounds legit.