Opinions / critiques on a mix test wanted!

Eben

dangert billy
Reaction score
Been working on this for awhile now, thought I'd drop by on the sevenstring forum and see if I could get more professional opinions about my latest text mix. Not meant to be anything super fancy, just wanna know how the drums and guitar sound to different sets of ears. Needs bass, too.
Here it is: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6451152/test2.mp3
DAW: Reaper 3.45 on OSX
Drums: Steven Slate 3.5 in Kontakt 4
Guitar: Pod farm 1.12 - signal chain: noise gate, tube screamer, cali diamond plate, comp, all loaded into mesa recabinet impulse through LAConvolver.

Thanks a lot, guys! :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

B36arin

Reaction score
You should humanize the drums, especially the cymbals, to make them sound more real. Just hit the humanize button or play around with the velocities :) It's not bad at all, get a bass guitar in there and maybe lower the drums/raise the guitars a notch and this will sound great!

gnossdrawkcab

Reaction score
Yeah this is really not bad at all. Definitely needs a bass guitar, but I like your overall drum sound with the mix. One thing though you might want to lower the mids on the rhythm guitars a little bit if you want to fit other stuff (leads/vocals) over it, but the tone is really good. Once you put a bass on this track it'll thump shit up

Eben

dangert billy
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I'm saving up to buy overhead mics for actual cymbals, for the time being I have to stick with one-sample crap. Not sure of any good overheads though.

Werwolf999

Reaction score
The guitars seemed a little too loud in this mix, otherwise everything else sounded pretty good.

')