Opinions from KM-6 owners?

Reaction score
I have never bought a guitar online without playing it first, but I just don't have the opportunity here to try out a schecter so i was looking to get impressions from people who own the KM-6.

On paper the guitar seems perfect specs wise, I love everything about it. I have friends who have owned various schecters and all seem to rate them well(i haven't been able to get a good play on them as I am left handed), the only complaint being the thicker neck which the KM-6 doesn't have.

Really looking to get a feel for the general build quality and feel of the guitar.

As a reference my main 6 string at the moment is the Ibanez RG721FML with a set of Juggernauts. I'm not expecting the schecter to have the same neck and I've heard the SD black winters are real love it or hate it pickups. Just looking and to get an idea of how build quality on the like of the KM-6 compares to the ibanez premium stuff.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
Consensus has been that the quality/fit/finish can vary quite a bit between specimens. I had an opportunity to play a KM6 MKII and was blown away by how great it played and sounded. On par with my ESP and MIJ Jacksons. Construction was top-notch. Fit and finish? Not so much. I noticed some ugly glue spots around the nut. Good thing, because if it weren't for that, I would have left the store with it - and I need another 6 like I need a hole in the head.

icipher

Reaction score
I've generally had GREAT luck with schecter guitars. I find them to be better than similarly priced Ibanez....

That said, I had a KM-6 that did not sound good. I am not exactly sure what the problem was, but it sounded kinda dead. might have been a pickup issue, not sure.

On the flip side, I had a KM-7 and now a Loomis. Both those guitars sound sick. However, the best sounding shecter i've owned was a SLS 7, the blue one with a duncan full shred in the bridge. It was the lightest guitar i've ever owned, and extremely punchy and thick sounding. fret board was perfect too. man i was foolish to sell that.

icipher

Reaction score
Would you say it sounded dead acoustically?

I don't recall specifically how it sounded unlplugged. I just remember it being a beautiful guitar that sounded a little lifeless through the amp. The KM7 I had, which was almost identical, sounded great.

IbbyShred

Reaction score
I own a KM-6... I wish I never bought it and I've really been thinking about selling it lately. I don't know why the GAS got to me, I thought I'd try something other than Ibanez once there was a lot of hype on the KM-6. Like you mention the specs were awesome. Also, everything I read online said the neck was similar to Ibanez and thinner. A lot of the Schecters I tried in the past had baseball bats for necks.

The neck on the KM-6 is thinner than what I remember of the Schecters I have played. The main issues I have are the fret ends, a lot of them aren't crowned well. There are sharp frets, tool markings on the fretboard, etc.. etc... Additionally, the finish isn't the greatest. From a distance it looks nice but up close there are some inconsistencies. The main issue I have is the back of the neck has a finish matte black finish. It is over sprayed in a few areas. I hate feeling them while I'm playing, they really stand out. There are also some areas it feels like debris got stuck under the paint. If I keep the guitar much longer I'm tempted to sand the back of the neck to smooth it out. The distorted tones sound pretty good to me though.

All in all I wish I'd have bought another Prestige RG652 variant. Practically the same cost, comes with a hardshell case, thinner neck, etc... I typically find issues with most production guitars so I'm not trying to say the Ibanez is perfect in any way. I just think for the money there are better bangs for your buck then the Schecter KM-6.

icipher

Reaction score
The main issues I have are the fret ends, a lot of them aren't crowned well. There are sharp frets, tool markings on the fretboard, etc.. etc... Additionally, the finish isn't the greatest. From a distance it looks nice but up close there are some inconsistencies..

That's like half the Ibanez's I've ever played.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
I had the newer KM6mkii... Played great. Sounded good, but had an issue with the coil tap. Made a loud hum when tapped. Not 60 cycle single coil hum either. Loud.

kabz

Reaction score
I just got a KM-7 Mark II and I'm really happy with it so far.

Pickups sound great, it does have slight issues. The coil tap is noticeably loud especially with high gain, but still a nice option.

My knob came extremely loose and I had to tighten it myself.

Schecters do excellent work for the price point.
I actually bought an Ernie Ball Majesty Artisan ($3300) 7 string and I returned it for the KM-7 mk II because
a) fit me better
b) much more affordable
c) electronics are legit

I am toying with the idea of replacin the Nazgul with a BKP , but not sure how much punchier I can make the low end, since a lot of sound tests I heard showed negligible difference. The Nazgul is pretty sweet and the Sentient is fantastic too.

The finish was fine, although I noticed tiny indent dots on the headstock, that could be the grain dots that the Wenge strips have from the neck through, but its on the black part of the headstock and barely noticeable.

It's a fun guitar, and I'm probably gonna keep this one for good.

')