Opinions on 7 string sound and mixing/mastering!

MikeAlustrium

Mike DeMaria
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My band is about to put out our first cd and the whole thing is self produced and its our first time working with 7s! For anyone who does their own mixing/recording I would love to hear feeback about the mix or the guitar tones (comments on the music are not needed but are welcome if so compelled) So let me know if you guys would add or take away anything!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wierdoom

Squidlord
Reaction score
This should be in the 'Recording Studio' sub-forum, not this one.

Anyway, this is really very good. I can't hear anything wrong with the mix, and the composition is overall very well done - it reminds me of Necrophagist and The Faceless quite a bit. Well done.

MikeAlustrium

Mike DeMaria
Reaction score
This should be in the 'Recording Studio' sub-forum, not this one.

Anyway, this is really very good. I can't hear anything wrong with the mix, and the composition is overall very well done - it reminds me of Necrophagist and The Faceless quite a bit. Well done.

do you know if I can move the thread there?

and im glad you dig it man!

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty much perfect I'd say :) I didn't like the kick drums on the slower parts, but I don't know what I'd change. A bit less mids and a bit more lows, maybe? I don't know haha. I'd have a touch more delay or verb on the solos.

Awesome music :)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
P.S I'm interested to know exactly what you used for everything, haha!

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
With reservation for not knowing the style too well, I'd probably use a bit less gain (it sounds like you're using a Pod?), leave more room for the bass player (I can't really hear him very well). In combination with a kick drum this clicky, having less bass results in a pretty thin sounding mix. The drums are obviously very fast, but a bit of room mic'ing (or assuming they're triggered, sending them to an IR-plug) to fatten up the drums and make them sound more "real" might still be a good thing.

The lead tones and vocals sound great though :yesway:

FOAM

Reaction score
The music is mindblowing! I love the mix! Tight and brutal! I agree with JohnIce that the bass should me more present. Other than that... Just phenomonal.

exordium

Reaction score
Sounds pretty awesome. What did you use for the drums? I like the overall drum sound; it sounds quite even, good job.

I like the guitar tones, although - this is just me - I'd add just a bit more treble and presence in the rhythm tone for a little more bite. Not too much, just a subtle difference. But it sounds killer as is, anyway. The guest solo isn't loud enough, IMO. I'd push that up till it was as loud as the other leads.

The bass could definitely be louder. And the overall mix isn't loud enough.

Overall, I think you guys have done a great job!

MikeAlustrium

Mike DeMaria
Reaction score
With reservation for not knowing the style too well, I'd probably use a bit less gain (it sounds like you're using a Pod?), leave more room for the bass player (I can't really hear him very well). In combination with a kick drum this clicky, having less bass results in a pretty thin sounding mix. The drums are obviously very fast, but a bit of room mic'ing (or assuming they're triggered, sending them to an IR-plug) to fatten up the drums and make them sound more "real" might still be a good thing.

The lead tones and vocals sound great though :yesway:

thanks alot man! i realy appreciate it! and no, we recorded with sure sm57s through a mesa mark V and my Carvin V3. and yeah the bass probably could be turned up a little bit but were going to have to address that on our next album as this one is already off to the press! and yes they are triggered with superior drummer. thanks for the feedback though its very appreciated!

Latest posts

')